Leg cramps at night.

Every fucking night, I get awakened by EXCRUCIATING leg cramps. And I mean EXCRUCIATING. I can feel my calf muscle in one long hard knot, and when I wake up to bend over to rub it or kick it back where it belongs, I get a damn cramp in my side. Blood tests show I am not lacking in magnesium or calcium, but I ordered some anyway from amazon. ACK! That shit is EXPENSIVE! But I did it anyway. This has GOT to stop. As you can see, it is a bit after 5am. I've been up since 3:35am due to that damn cramp and now my leg is sore. So I took a flexirel and an advil, so although no pain, its sore if I massage my leg.

Did some leg exercise to stretch the muscle and now I am browsing for an exercise bike. Stationary. Foldable. I read at the Mayo Clinin website that a bike will help relieve cramps, and it mostly comes from age if other problems are not suspect.

Anyone here get these damn cramps too? Do you think a bike would help? What do you do to get a restful night and not wake up from pain that makes you want to hobble to your roof and throw yourself off? LOL

Anyway..I have this in my cart on Amazon. Havent ordered it yet. Not sure if the damn thing will work for what I want it for.

XTERRA Fitness FB150 Folding Exercise Bike, Silver, 31.5L x 18W x 45.3H in.
Visit the XTERRA Fitness Store
4.6 out of 5 stars 10,746 ratings

| 421 answered questions

Amazon'sChoicefor Exercise Bikes by XTERRA Fitness

Price:$131.07 FREE One-Day & FREE Returns

BrandXTERRA Fitness
ColorSilver
Item Dimensions LxWxH31.89 x 18.1 x 43.3 inches
Item Weight32 Pounds
Number of Resistance Levels8
About this item
  • Solid X-Frame Design with Thick Steal Tubing | 3-piece pedal crank for added durability
  • Product dimensions – 31.89” L x 18.1” W x 43.3” H | Folded dimensions – 18.1” L x 18.1” W x 50.79” H | Weight – 32 lbs. | Weight limit – 225 lbs. | Flywheel weight system – 3.3 lbs. | Resistance levels – 8 | Comfortably fits most users from 4’10” to 5’10” tall"
  • Large anatomically designed seat and multi-grip padded handlebars are designed for long lasting comfort and support
  • 8 levels of manual resistance are easily controlled through the large Dial tension knob for users of all fitness levels
  • 2" x 1" LCD window is easy to read with all the necessary information - clearly displays speed, distance, time, calories, and pulse

Amazon product

This stuff works very well.
Put it on before bedtime and no more cramps.
1615397647742.png

Got 3 hours rest...almost 4 hours, but I slept in the recliner. Woke up with...you guessed it. Not as bad though. Still....it greeted me a rainy good morning.

I drink lots of water. Bottle is sitting righ'chere by my pc alla time. And taters? Every day. Hashbrowns or fries. Love avacado's but rarely eat them. Can't eat nanners..they give me fierce heartburn. BUT..I will go to the store today and get some gatorade or something with electrolytes in it.

I take ropinerole for my restless legs. Found on google last night from Mayo Clinic or WebMD that restless leg syndrome is not related to leg cramps, but if it works better than the Arnicare I slather on my feet and calves every night, I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm doing ok on the magnesium and calcium according to my blood test, but it doesn't hurt to be better than just OK, right? So I have some of that ordered from Amazon too.
Muscle relaxers and a stiff joint helps...

I have severe leg cramps and it is not from a lack of bananas, electrolytes or potassium it is because if nerve damage...I find a hotter than hell sitz bath helps but if that fails I cuss a lot.
IIRC, Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. It might be possible that you can absorb them via your colon? :dunno:
Why not just shove a few up there? I don't use Epsom's salts.
Stick a banana in your tailpipe?

Last edited:
I have severe leg cramps and it is not from a lack of bananas, electrolytes or potassium it is because if nerve damage...I find a hotter than hell sitz bath helps but if that fails I cuss a lot.
IIRC, Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. It might be possible that you can absorb them via your colon? :dunno:
Why not just shove a few up there? I don't use Epsom's salts.
Stick a banana in your tailpipe?

Spinach is higher in potassium and easier to...

Every fucking night, I get awakened by EXCRUCIATING leg cramps. And I mean EXCRUCIATING. I can feel my calf muscle in one long hard knot, and when I wake up to bend over to rub it or kick it back where it belongs, I get a damn cramp in my side. Blood tests show I am not lacking in magnesium or calcium, but I ordered some anyway from amazon. ACK! That shit is EXPENSIVE! But I did it anyway. This has GOT to stop. As you can see, it is a bit after 5am. I've been up since 3:35am due to that damn cramp and now my leg is sore. So I took a flexirel and an advil, so although no pain, its sore if I massage my leg.

Did some leg exercise to stretch the muscle and now I am browsing for an exercise bike. Stationary. Foldable. I read at the Mayo Clinin website that a bike will help relieve cramps, and it mostly comes from age if other problems are not suspect.

Anyone here get these damn cramps too? Do you think a bike would help? What do you do to get a restful night and not wake up from pain that makes you want to hobble to your roof and throw yourself off? LOL

Anyway..I have this in my cart on Amazon. Havent ordered it yet. Not sure if the damn thing will work for what I want it for.

| 421 answered questions

BrandXTERRA Fitness
ColorSilver
Item Weight32 Pounds
About this item
  • Solid X-Frame Design with Thick Steal Tubing | 3-piece pedal crank for added durability
  • Product dimensions – 31.89” L x 18.1” W x 43.3” H | Folded dimensions – 18.1” L x 18.1” W x 50.79” H | Weight – 32 lbs. | Weight limit – 225 lbs. | Flywheel weight system – 3.3 lbs. | Resistance levels – 8 | Comfortably fits most users from 4’10” to 5’10” tall"
  • Large anatomically designed seat and multi-grip padded handlebars are designed for long lasting comfort and support
  • 8 levels of manual resistance are easily controlled through the large Dial tension knob for users of all fitness levels
  • 2" x 1" LCD window is easy to read with all the necessary information - clearly displays speed, distance, time, calories, and pulse

Amazon product
A charliehorse, a cramp in the thigh muscle, was the most excruciating pain I've ever felt. It is in part dehydration and I believe zinc supplements can help.

Gracie , usually cramps like you describe are caused by an electrolyte imbalance.
with low potassium being one of the main culprits.
Agreed. However potassium supplements are too dangerous. A little bit too much and it can cause a fatal cardiac arrhythmia. A malfunction of the electrical system of the heart.

If your heart gets a cramp, you're a goner.

When people are prescribed diuretics (like "Lasix") they often are prescribed a potassium supplement to counter the muscle cramping side effects of the diuretic. At one time you could buy Potassium Gluconate over the counter but I believe it has been outlawed. Probably not a bad thing because when overdone it can kill quickly. Might be a good idea to consult with your doctor - there are very inexpensive potassium supplements that will minimize or totally eliminate cramping. But use them ONLY as directed and talk with that same doctor if they're not effective at the dosage prescribed. You may need more but proceed with great caution.

Edit: Just caught mention of the potassium/cardiac risk. It's true. However the same cardiologist friend who prescribes the diuretic also prescribes the potassium supplent and cautions not to take one without also taking the other. Proceed with caution!

One other possibility: Often said that lactic acid is responsible for the cramps. There are people for whom cutting dairy products containing lactose from the diet can be a big help.

| 421 answered questions

BrandXTERRA Fitness
ColorSilver
Item Weight32 Pounds
About this item

Amazon product
A charliehorse, a cramp in the thigh muscle, was the most excruciating pain I've ever felt.

Count your blessings.

go high tech and pricey or eat bananas...
If you have problems sleeping make a tea from bannana peels....take the peels from a couple of banannas and boil them for about l5 min. in a couple of cups of water..... doesnt taste too bad either

Gracie , usually cramps like you describe are caused by an electrolyte imbalance.
with low potassium being one of the main culprits.
Agreed. However potassium supplements are too dangerous. A little bit too much and it can cause a fatal cardiac arrhythmia. A malfunction of the electrical system of the heart.

If your heart gets a cramp, you're a goner.

You'd have to eat a shit load of bananas to go that far.

When people are prescribed diuretics (like "Lasix") they often are prescribed a potassium supplement to counter the muscle cramping side effects of the diuretic. At one time you could buy Potassium Gluconate over the counter but I believe it has been outlawed. Probably not a bad thing because when overdone it can kill quickly.
It's not outlawed but the OTC supplements have been limited to less than 100mg of elemental potassium per dose IIRC. There's very little potassium in them at all. About 2% RDV. So basically you're paying for nothing unless you take a handful of them.

And when you consider that a medium sized potato contains about 900mg of potassium (~twice as much as a banana), those expensive supplements just don't seem worth it. And potatoes are also a good source of magnesium, calcium, folate, vitamins C and B6, and soluble fiber.

The potatoes are much cheaper and much better for you than the supplements. And who doesn't like potatoes?

Last edited:
Cholesterol-lowering drugs are often the culprit. .
If you are on statins, see your doctor immediately. It is a side effect, and can be the cause of a degenerating disease. There are effective non-statin cholesterol meds.

Give this a try.....
Might not work for you but......
Nearly 3,000 positive reviews on Amazon

LEGO-2.5ZCarton-Tube_R003_c1ea3393-50fd-4f71-ac19-7ff31ddb518e.png
Thanks, BHUnit. That Hyland leg cramps product is the one thing I take to avoid an experience with leg cramps. The other thing is to push out the heels And point the toes on both feet up toward the knees as possible. Then I deep breathe, relax the feet and wait a few seconds as the cramps dissipate. Then I thank God for the lovely friend who taught me the raise toes tightly toward the knees followed by deep breathing.

Prevention is easy to forget. The toe pullup is scarey, because those leg cramps are screaming out loud pain until the relaxation stage of the feet kicks in. Sometimes you have to do the toe trick twice. And the melatonin is a good habit if sleeplessness contributes to the cramps.

Best wishes to gracie and everyone else who has those most unwonderful leg cramps. ♡♡♡♡♡

| 421 answered questions

BrandXTERRA Fitness
ColorSilver
Item Weight32 Pounds
About this item

Amazon product

When I get a leg cramp in bed, I just stand up and it goes away, just a suggestion

You might be experiencing alien abduction. You should avoid that.

I try to stand up, but when both legs are doing it....OUCH. Easier said than done. But lately I have been doing better by NOT having any.

Now watch. Tonight I will get some.:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back