Led Zeppelin Vs. The Beatles - Who Is The True Rock G.O.A.T.?

and of course you being a black guy,you know who black people liked....right?...many black artist covered beatle songs....

The fact you are arguing with me tells me just how little you know about the black community

....never listened to a Beatles song until I was twenty-three. I heard a few snippets when Across the Universe (2007) was advertised. And, I enjoyed the covers on American Idol. But, I never heard them sing their own songs until I was cornered by white coworkers shocked and amazed at my inability to name a singular member of the group or song.

Their puzzlement went from inquiry to harassment to public shaming as they paraded me around the office showing me off to other white people who were similarly shocked at my apparent “poor upbringing.” They had no idea that their projections of what constituted “good music” denoted their own simmering privilege. Meanwhile, they were discrediting everything I actually had grown up listening to.

It all started when a young white lady in the office was commenting on her favorite Beatles song. When asked, I responded, “Which group is that?” Then, ‘el shit’ hit ‘el fan.’ I got the Beatles mixed up with the Eagles mixed up with the Rolling Stones. They asked me to name them and I said “Well, I know it’s not Elton John. Bob Dylan? Maybe Billy Joel?” Shit everywhere. It was completely foreign to them that I could have possibly missed something so integral to their lives. So, they attempted to shame me.

The responses I got from everyone were in virtual lockstep.

“What in the world did you listen to at home?”

“What? Did you live under a rock?”

“Do you just never turn on the radio?”

“Where are you from?”

To which I responded, “Well, I’m black.” And, I simply explained that there are other radio stations that play other music. Unsatisfied with this answer, they pelted me with further inquiries.

“Do you just never watch TV? cause the Beatles are EVERYWHERE!”

It was cute for about two seconds then it just got stale. What was funniest about it was that they were almost offended when I mentioned non-Beatles members. Like I had somehow broken white people music code by mentioning Billy Joel or Elton John in the same conversation. The Beatles were so sacred to them that they guffawed about it and it became an office joke until I eventually left the team.

Isn’t it funny though how I was assumed to be some foreigner transplant because I didn’t conform to white musical interests? They questioned my mom’s parenting skills before they ventured to think that maybe black folks just aren’t interested in listening to boring music sung by vocally-challenged British men.

My mother raised me on Anita Baker, Luther Vandross, The Four Tops, The Commodores, Patti Labelle, and a healthy dose of gospel artists. I have heard and appreciated a host of other greats. Presently, I love the soul sounds of India.Arie, Jill Scott, and John Legend. Not to mention I come from a family of talented singers, rappers, and song writers. I was never lacking for musicality in my home or life. But, my music and upbringing didn’t “count” to these folks because it didn’t measure up to their standards. This is the definition of white superiority.

Yes, they appreciate it now. I'm just telling you back in the 70's, 80's and even beyond the black community, FOR THE MOST PART, appreciates R&B a lot more than they do the Beatles or Nirvana.
Cos' blacks had greate music then, the Beatles themselves were lovers of that music.
And after 3 decades of crap, or as they say, rap, it is hard not to recognize the beauty of the Beatles music... any music.

Last edited:
I went to an all black school. And Howard Stern tells a similar story about bring a record in to school day back when he went to an all black school. He was mocked for listening to the Beatles. The black community back then loved Motown not the Beatles.

See, white boys like you don't know what it was like living in the hood. You don't know how different the culture is. I do. When I moved to an all white neighborhood I remember the whites made fun of my black taste in music. I can remember one song specifically when this happened.

Remember "cupid, draw back your bow, and let your arrow flow, straight to my lovers heart" Sam Cooke. All my white friends made fun of me for listening to stuff like that and they were listening to Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, Def Leppard. Or remember Cool and the Gang? I loved that shit. or Commodores, Stevey Wonder, etc.

Tell you what. Let's ask a black person on Quora

Most of the black people I know don't listen to the Beatles. It's just not their type of music, and I'm around a lot of black people daily, whether I'm in a professional setting with professional black people or around lower/working class black people, they generally don't listen to the Beatles. Most of them don't even know who Paul McCartney or John Lennon are. I'm pretty sure if you played a random Beatles’ song, there’s a 95% chance that the black people will NOT know that the song was a Beatles song. They're just not that familiar with them. However, I've notice that many black people are familiar with and love the hit song “Twist and Shout”, which is probably the only Beatles song that is popular and well liked by black people as a whole, but I could be wrong. By the way, “Twist and Shout” was originally recorded by The Top Notes which then became a hit by the Isley Brothers which then became a global hit by the Beatles.

I'm one of the very few black people who do listen to the Beatles. But then again, I also like to listen to other classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd.

Most black people don't really listen to classic rock music in the first place and so therefore, don't listen to The Beatles.
oh give me a fucking break....i grew up with lots of black kids including going into their houses and the school i went to was half black......who the fuck do you think you are?....and like i said many black musicians covered beatle songs....and now you are a black guy?....what happened to being greek?...you are a phony bobo.....

That's why so many youtube videos where blacks react to Beatles songs with admiration...
he dont know what the fuck he is talking about.....quite a few black musicians covered beatle songs....that doesnt mean they listen to them all day....it means they liked the song good enough to cover it...

Led Zeppelin Vs. The Beatles
Who Is The Rock-N-Roll G.O.A.T.?

First off I have to say that I am an unapologetic Zep head, and get tired of hearing my whole life that the Beatles are the greatest rock band in history. But is this really true?
2nd off I want to say that the Beatles were a great band who were way ahead of their time. Their songs will ALWAYS be remembered as some of the greatest ever written. Someone would be hard pressed to find a greater collaboration as was the case with McCartney and Lennon.
I will state my case for Zeppelin below, and would love to hear yours.

The first thing that has to be looked at between these two great bands is with record sales. The Beatles have far more record sales than do Zeppelin, but their is more to this issue than meets the eye.

1. The Beatles released 19 studio albums. That's 10 more then Led Zeppelins 9 studio albums. It was a common practice in rock for a band to record an albums than go on tour for almost a year to promote it, than come off of the road, again record an album, than back on tour again etc..
The Beatles stopped touring in 1966, and this enabled them to release multiple albums in a year to everyone else's 1.
2. Singles. Who can possible count all of the 45 rpm records that the Beatles sold to millions of love struck teeny bopper girls. Led Zeppelin did not release singles. If you wanted to hear them you had to buy the album. Imo, this is what created what is referred to as album rock.

So, before record sales can be used to say who is the greatest of the two, than you have to remove 10 of the Beatles studio albums to match Zeppelins 9 studio albums. Also, you have to remove the millions and millions of 45 rpm records that the Beatles released because Zeppelin did not release singles.

The next issue I would say would be promotion. The Beatles were the most heavily promoted band in history. To this day I can't think of another band that came close. The Beatles name and images were on just about everything. Their were Beatles dresses, record players, wigs, stamps, key chains, guitars, mirrors, watches, pendants, bowling balls and on and on and on. 6 months before they came to America posters were plastered everywhere proclaiming The Beatles are coming!, The Beatles are coming!. Radio d.j.'s were almost non stop declaring the same thing.
In contrast Led Zeppelin were the complete opposite, and the least commercial band in history. They wanted their music to speak for them, and not some gimmick. They even refused to appear on television. Interviews with Zeppelin were rare. Their is an early interview though were John Bonham the Zep drummer points out that people went to see the Beatles live just to look at them. You couldn't even hear the ban play. But to Zeppelin it was about the music they and not the image.

The last thing would be about musicianship and talent. So, lets compare these bands with that in mind.
1. Singer. I really don't think even die hard Beatles fans would disagree that Robert Plant is a far greater singer than any one of the fab four.

2. Guitar. George Harrison was an awesome player, and much better after the Beatles broke up. However, Jimmy page is legendary. I have never seen a list of the greatest guitar play of all time that didn't have him at 1 or at least top 3.. He was a riff machine. I doubt there is a Harrison tune that page cannot play, and probably many Page pieces that Harrison just could not play.

3. Bass. I think Paul McCartney was a good bass player, even better than he got credit for. But was no match for John Paul Jones.

4. Drums. Do I even really have to point this out. John Bonham is considered the greatest rock drummer in history. He played an 11 piece kit and used every single piece of it. What he was able to do still has most pro drummers in awe of him. If you've never heard "Moby Dick" than I suggest you give it a listen. Ring Starr? I guess you could he took a 3 piece kit as far as you could take it, but he could have easily have been replaced and not have been missed.

Okay, I guess this is the end of my case that Led Zeppelin not the Beatles are indeed the Rock-N-Roll G.O.A.T.. Their 300 million album sales I would venture to say out sales the Beatles if you take what I said above and even the game up the way it should be done for a true measure of who the greatest are.
What do you say?
The Beetles and Led Zepplin were different kind of rock bands.

The fact you are arguing with me tells me just how little you know about the black community

....never listened to a Beatles song until I was twenty-three. I heard a few snippets when Across the Universe (2007) was advertised. And, I enjoyed the covers on American Idol. But, I never heard them sing their own songs until I was cornered by white coworkers shocked and amazed at my inability to name a singular member of the group or song.

Their puzzlement went from inquiry to harassment to public shaming as they paraded me around the office showing me off to other white people who were similarly shocked at my apparent “poor upbringing.” They had no idea that their projections of what constituted “good music” denoted their own simmering privilege. Meanwhile, they were discrediting everything I actually had grown up listening to.

It all started when a young white lady in the office was commenting on her favorite Beatles song. When asked, I responded, “Which group is that?” Then, ‘el shit’ hit ‘el fan.’ I got the Beatles mixed up with the Eagles mixed up with the Rolling Stones. They asked me to name them and I said “Well, I know it’s not Elton John. Bob Dylan? Maybe Billy Joel?” Shit everywhere. It was completely foreign to them that I could have possibly missed something so integral to their lives. So, they attempted to shame me.

The responses I got from everyone were in virtual lockstep.

“What in the world did you listen to at home?”

“What? Did you live under a rock?”

“Do you just never turn on the radio?”

“Where are you from?”

To which I responded, “Well, I’m black.” And, I simply explained that there are other radio stations that play other music. Unsatisfied with this answer, they pelted me with further inquiries.

“Do you just never watch TV? cause the Beatles are EVERYWHERE!”

It was cute for about two seconds then it just got stale. What was funniest about it was that they were almost offended when I mentioned non-Beatles members. Like I had somehow broken white people music code by mentioning Billy Joel or Elton John in the same conversation. The Beatles were so sacred to them that they guffawed about it and it became an office joke until I eventually left the team.

Isn’t it funny though how I was assumed to be some foreigner transplant because I didn’t conform to white musical interests? They questioned my mom’s parenting skills before they ventured to think that maybe black folks just aren’t interested in listening to boring music sung by vocally-challenged British men.

My mother raised me on Anita Baker, Luther Vandross, The Four Tops, The Commodores, Patti Labelle, and a healthy dose of gospel artists. I have heard and appreciated a host of other greats. Presently, I love the soul sounds of India.Arie, Jill Scott, and John Legend. Not to mention I come from a family of talented singers, rappers, and song writers. I was never lacking for musicality in my home or life. But, my music and upbringing didn’t “count” to these folks because it didn’t measure up to their standards. This is the definition of white superiority.
great story bobo.....i was raised listening to black music including the blues.....country western and rock in roll mostly do wop stuff...and Classical music was even in there especially opera....you do realize your stories usually reek of shit like this one....

oh give me a fucking break....i grew up with lots of black kids including going into their houses and the school i went to was half black......who the fuck do you think you are?....and like i said many black musicians covered beatle songs....and now you are a black guy?....what happened to being greek?...you are a phony bobo.....
Your school was half black? Well then that explains it. Especially if you are telling me that you all got along splendidly. Is that what you are telling me? The black kids and the white kids got along in your school?

Because if it's true, we need to know where this part of the country is and emulate it. Because where I come from, if half the school is black then the school is very divided. The blacks listen to black music, the whites listen to white music. Of course there are some wiggers and some blacks who love Bon Jovi but for the most part, either you lived in a fairytale or you are making up the fact that you got along with the black kids and you all listened to the same music, TOGETHER!

Then don't forget I went to an all black school. Only 3 whites in an entire K-8 school. NO ONE was listening to the Beatles in my community. They were listening to Michael Jackson.

Your school was half black? Well then that explains it. Especially if you are telling me that you all got along splendidly. Is that what you are telling me? The black kids and the white kids got along in your school?

Because if it's true, we need to know where this part of the country is and emulate it. Because where I come from, if half the school is black then the school is very divided. The blacks listen to black music, the whites listen to white music. Of course there are some wiggers and some blacks who love Bon Jovi but for the most part, either you lived in a fairytale or you are making up the fact that you got along with the black kids and you all listened to the same music, TOGETHER!

Then don't forget I went to an all black school. Only 3 whites in an entire K-8 school. NO ONE was listening to the Beatles in my community. They were listening to Michael Jackson.
yea i got along.....im not like you who cant get along....and no the darker kids and the white kids had their problems....were the hell did i say we got along splendidly?....did you learn to read in your school?.....K-8th grade?....i am talking 7th thru 12th grade....

great story bobo.....i was raised listening to black music including the blues.....country western and rock in roll mostly do wop stuff...and Classical music was even in there especially opera....you do realize your stories usually reek of shit like this one....
I don't give a fuck about your personal antidotal nonsense. I was raise a poor black child too.

1647364568122.png

I remember being invited in to my friends house and his mother made corn bread. It was so yummy I'll never forget it. Dry with butter. Make you want to smack yo mama.

I'm just telling you if any of the kids in class were listening to the Beatles or Bon Jovi, they kept that shit to themselves. It's like me when I moved to an all white neighborhood. I was made fun of when I told them the shit i listened to. BLACK music. Because I came from the hood, that's what I was influenced by and I can tell you a lot of blacks in the hood are only listening to rap in front of their kids.

How about those kids who are famous online for hearing good music for the first time? How come those young black men never heard of Coming in the Air Tonight?

Have you seen this? Where are they from idiot? the two brothers from Gary, Indiana

Gary Indiana is 79% black you stupid mother fucker. It's no surprise they never heard a lot of good white music because their parents never listened to white music.

You USMB whites are so fucking stupid. Ignorant.

yea i got along.....im not like you who cant get along....and no the darker kids and the white kids had their problems....were the hell did i say we got along splendidly?....did you learn to read in your school?.....K-8th grade?....i am talking 7th thru 12th grade....
Like I said, Gary Indiana is 78% black. Detroit is 81% black. You lived in la la land.

Oh, and I'm sure of the 50% population of your school that is black, the 10% of blacks who hung out with your white ass, I'm sure 50% of them loved the music you made them listen to.

If you didn't get along how do you know what their taste in music was? That's something you only know if someone is a friend. I think you just remember your 1 or 2 black friends rocking to Motley Crew or Ozzy and you assume you know what the fuck you are talking about or you don't realize what I'm saying is true because it doesn't jive with your world views is that about it Harry?

I found a picture of your diverse highschool

1647365286902.png

I don't give a fuck about your personal antidotal nonsense. I was raise a poor black child too.

View attachment 616170

I remember being invited in to my friends house and his mother made corn bread. It was so yummy I'll never forget it. Dry with butter. Make you want to smack yo mama.

I'm just telling you if any of the kids in class were listening to the Beatles or Bon Jovi, they kept that shit to themselves. It's like me when I moved to an all white neighborhood. I was made fun of when I told them the shit i listened to. BLACK music. Because I came from the hood, that's what I was influenced by and I can tell you a lot of blacks in the hood are only listening to rap in front of their kids.

How about those kids who are famous online for hearing good music for the first time? How come those young black men never heard of Coming in the Air Tonight?

Have you seen this? Where are they from idiot? the two brothers from Gary, Indiana

Gary Indiana is 79% black you stupid mother fucker. It's no surprise they never heard a lot of good white music because their parents never listened to white music.

You USMB whites are so fucking stupid. Ignorant.

but we have to listen to your personal "antidotal" nonsense?....bobo i believe the word you are looking for is anecdotal..antidotal is something that is used to counteract,i know thats a big word,they are used to counteract poisons in the body .....

idote​

[ an-ti-doht ]

noun
a medicine or other remedy for counteracting the effects of poison, disease, etc.
something that prevents or counteracts injurious or unwanted effects: Good jobs are the best antidote to teenage crime.
verb (used with object), an¡ti¡dot¡ed, an¡ti¡dot¡ing.
to counteract with an antidote: Medication was given to antidote the poison the child had swallowed.

Definition of "antidotal" [an•ti•do•tal]

Relating to an antidote. (adjective)

"Sorry to pick on Ben, but I also laughed when he referred to antidotal evidence, a nice new Bushism or verbal typo that I guess means a piece of evidence that fixes a poisonous problem."

If you didn't get along how do you know what their taste in music was? That's something you only know if someone is a friend. I think you just remember your 1 or 2 black friends rocking to Motley Crew or Ozzy and you assume you know what the fuck you are talking about or you don't realize what I'm saying is true because it doesn't jive with your world views is that about it Harry?

View attachment 616177
bobo are you high?.....were did i say i did not get along?....thats your 2nd fuck up here....geezus wait until i go and catch up to you...then we can post....

View attachment 616177
geezus....lol....

but we have to listen to your personal "antidotal" nonsense?....bobo i believe the word you are looking for is anecdotal..antidotal is something that is used to counteract,i know thats a big word,they are used to counteract poisons in the body .....

idote​

[ an-ti-doht ]

noun
a medicine or other remedy for counteracting the effects of poison, disease, etc.
something that prevents or counteracts injurious or unwanted effects: Good jobs are the best antidote to teenage crime.
verb (used with object), an¡ti¡dot¡ed, an¡ti¡dot¡ing.
to counteract with an antidote: Medication was given to antidote the poison the child had swallowed.

Definition of "antidotal" [an•ti•do•tal]

Relating to an antidote. (adjective)

"Sorry to pick on Ben, but I also laughed when he referred to antidotal evidence, a nice new Bushism or verbal typo that I guess means a piece of evidence that fixes a poisonous problem."
Well hopefully you know I'm just having fun arguing this with you right?

Antidotal. Yea, I get the red squggly line so I must have typed it wrong but honestly, you're not worth me opening up another browser and spell checking. You knew what I meant. And so I didn't need the english lesson. I assumed you knew what I meant and I assume you assumed I knew what I was talking about.

So, back to your fellow classmates who you didn't get along with but you can remember to this day what kind of music they were into.

And in your class, there was no connection between skin color and musical preference?

I'm calling bullshit Harry. Even if that's how you remember it, that's probably not how it really happened. Sounds like you are making shit up to prove me wrong.

Yes I give personal anctidotes. Because I saw it with my own eyes. Black kids mocking popular white artists like the Beatles while worshiping Cool and the Gang or the Commidores. Yes, that happened. And I'm not the only one to experience this.

That's why I'm dying to know what mixed school you went to where the community didn't even notice skin color. Black girls listened to Iron Maiden and white boys listen to Chaka Khan.

Well hopefully you know I'm just having fun arguing this with you right?

Antidotal. Yea, I get the red squggly line so I must have typed it wrong but honestly, you're not worth me opening up another browser and spell checking. You knew what I meant. And so I didn't need the english lesson. I assumed you knew what I meant and I assume you assumed I knew what I was talking about.

So, back to your fellow classmates who you didn't get along with but you can remember to this day what kind of music they were into.

And in your class, there was no connection between skin color and musical preference?

I'm calling bullshit Harry. Even if that's how you remember it, that's probably not how it really happened. Sounds like you are making shit up to prove me wrong.

Yes I give personal anctidotes. Because I saw it with my own eyes. Black kids mocking popular white artists like the Beatles while worshiping Cool and the Gang or the Commidores. Yes, that happened. And I'm not the only one to experience this.

That's why I'm dying to know what mixed school you went to where the community didn't even notice skin color. Black girls listened to Iron Maiden and white boys listen to Chaka Khan.
i cant argue this bobo ...your saying things i never said.....so until you start posting a little more coherent......

Bloody hell, both of you, stop this silly quarrel and go back to your rooms!
Ringo: And you must be Sealybobo

Sealybobo: That's the rumor.

Ringo: You retired too?

Sealybobo: Not me. I'm in my prime.

Ringo: Yeah, you look it.

Sealybobo speaking to Harry: Look, darling, Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?

Harry: You don't even know him.

Sealybobo: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.

Ringo: And you must be Sealybobo

Sealybobo: That's the rumor.

Ringo: You retired too?

Sealybobo: Not me. I'm in my prime.

Ringo: Yeah, you look it.

Sealybobo speaking to Harry: Look, darling, Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?

Harry: You don't even know him.

Sealybobo: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
How did this go from music appreciation to a race war?

Forum List

Back