Leaked Cable: McCain Promised Qaddafi To Help Secure Military Equipment From U.S.

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
lieberman-mccain-graham1.jpg

By Ali Gharib on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:30 am

For all the braying by the Senate’s top three hawks about how the U.S. wasn’t doing enough to oust Libyan dictator Col. Muammar Qaddafi from power, one might be surprised to learn that exactly two years ago, Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Joe Lieberman (I-CT) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) were in Tripoli meeting with the erratic leader and giving him assurances that relations between the nations were on the mend.

More: Leaked Cable: McCain Promised Qaddafi To Help Secure Military Equipment From U.S. | ThinkProgress

How about this..?

If we look over the arms sales to Libya in recent years, recorded in the prestigious Swedish centre SIPRI, we can see that France sold 100 MILAN model anti-tank missiles to Gaddafi in 2009 for 168 million Euros, and that Italy also sold 10 A-109K helicopters for border patrols (6 of which have been delivered) for 80 million Euros. Perhaps some of the 96 Kh-35 Uran missiles sold by Russia are being used – they can be shot from helicopters.

On the other hand, based on EU reports on arms exports, in 2008 European countries as a whole sold arms to Libya worth 215 million Euros, and in 2009 the amount totalled 344 million Euros. In particular, there are the category 1 arms, which are rifles, revolvers and pistols and machine guns, and category 10, which include fighter planes. Therefore, the arms sold by the EU in recent years could be the arms being used in order to violently repress the peaceful protests in recent days. The European state which is the closest trading partner is, as is to be expected, Italy, which reached sales of 205 million dollars in the years 2008-2009, the majority of which were sales of fighter planes, many of them helicopters. Another clue which could help us try and understand the rising/ increasing arms trade between the two countries, is that the Italian arms company Finmeccanica, 32.5% of which is supported/ owned?? by the Italian Ministry of Economy, and which has the LIA (Libyan Invstment Authority, as a shareholder in the company. The Libyan governmental authority, holds 2.01% of shares in this company, and it wanted to increase this quota to 3% so as to be able to hold a seat on the company’s board of directors. With this in mind, it is perhaps easier to understand the declarations made by the Italian president and his foreign ministers, who are blocking the most forceful EU resolutions on the violence carried out against the Libyan civilian population. One must also highlight Malta, which sold Gaddafi around 80 million Euros worth of small arms and munitions, probably from Italian arms companies based in their territory. It is also worth mentioning the sales of arms made to Libya by France (143 million Euros), Germany (57 million), United Kingdom (53 million) and Portugal (21 million). Spain, despite being one of the largest arms exporters in the world, does not count Lybia as one of its main clients, although one must mention the fact that in 2008 and 2009, trade in military material made between Spain and Libya reached approximately 4 million Euros, even though they were sales which were authorised but which have not been delivered.

Who is selling Gadaffi weapons? | War Resisters' International

Khaddaffi was our ally, Of course we wanted to sell weapons to him. JUST like we sold weapons to Egypt. In fact Egypt got free money from us for weapons, Anyone squawking about that?

lieberman-mccain-graham1.jpg

By Ali Gharib on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:30 am

For all the braying by the Senate’s top three hawks about how the U.S. wasn’t doing enough to oust Libyan dictator Col. Muammar Qaddafi from power, one might be surprised to learn that exactly two years ago, Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Joe Lieberman (I-CT) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) were in Tripoli meeting with the erratic leader and giving him assurances that relations between the nations were on the mend.

More: Leaked Cable: McCain Promised Qaddafi To Help Secure Military Equipment From U.S. | ThinkProgress

I wonder if my crystal ball works as good as the spundit (spin doctor) author's does. I'll look to the future and see if supporting the "revolutionaries" all over North Africa and the Middle East will eventually be to our benefit or not......... :eusa_whistle:

Hmm and Obama is letting drug cartels in Mexico buy our guns that killed an ICE guy and also slaughtered how many of innocent mexicans??

Why is this a surprise. The entire world decided years ago to let bygones be bygones and make nice with Qadaffi as long as he kept the oil flowing.

Even the Community Organizer shook hands with him, although he resisted the overwealming temptation to bow, so I guess that's something.

gaddafi-obama-masonic-handshake.jpg

"must stand up straight...must stand up straight..."

So I guess that Obama can take credit for the hard work of the rest of NATO and the rebels, and hopefully this all won't turn to shit before the election when we figure out that we've put people more dangerous than Qadaffi in charge, or maybe his homies in the MSM won't report the slaughter.

Obama's biggest problem is that his own followers are starting to turn on him, though.

IN the 80s Ghadaffi was the POSTER BOY for terrorism.

Then he was rehabilitated when we invaded IRaq and made Saddam the terrorist poster boy.

But as Momar decided to challenge the USD petrodollar?

He has again became the devil incarnate.

America does not have permanent allies, it has temporary interests.

Then he was rehabilitated when we invaded IRaq and made Saddam the terrorist poster boy.

Well, there was more to it than that.

Qadaffi had been trying to work his way back into the good graces of the west for years. He even gave up his WMD program when he realized having one was like walking with a starter's pistol into a donut shop frequented by cops.

So he made a lot of concessions to get in good with the west, including paying out 10 billion dollars to lockerbee heirs. He needed western know-how to update his oil industry.

But the Community Organizer thought he could score a quick win by supporting these rebels when they rose up..

Hmm and Obama is letting drug cartels in Mexico buy our guns that killed an ICE guy and also slaughtered how many of innocent mexicans??

Funny.

President Barack Obama was intimately involved with operations that sought, found and killed Osama bin Laden and you guys are like "He just said yes and had nuttin' to do with it".

However..President Barack Obama knew nothing about this gun deal and somehow it was him..on his lonesome..that sold them to drug cartels.

You guys are rich.:lol:

Well, there was more to it than that.

Qadaffi had been trying to work his way back into the good graces of the west for years. He even gave up his WMD program when he realized having one was like walking with a starter's pistol into a donut shop frequented by cops.

So he made a lot of concessions to get in good with the west, including paying out 10 billion dollars to lockerbee heirs. He needed western know-how to update his oil industry.

But the Community Organizer thought he could score a quick win by supporting these rebels when they rose up..

Personally I think, after you bomb a plane filled to the brim with Americans..there shouldn't be any "graces" to get back good with.

However..this does bode badly in dealing with future despots. There will be no reason to give up nukes..and tons of reasons to develop them.

from the leaked cable link in the OP article...

McCain discussed security, counterterrorism, and civil-nuclear cooperation during August 14 meetings with Libyan leader Muammar al-Qadhafi and his son, National Security Advisor Muatassim al-Qadhafi, stressing the need for Libya to fulfill its WMD-related commitments and to approve a Section 505 end-user agreement in order to move forward on bilateral military and civil-nuclear engagement.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Lieberman called Libya an important ally in the war on terrorism, noting that common enemies sometimes make better friends. The Senators recognized Libya's cooperation on counterterrorism and conveyed that it was in the interest of both countries to make the relationship stronger. They encouraged Libya to sign the Highly Enriched Uranium transfer agreement by August 15 in order to fulfill its obligation to transfer its nuclear spent fuel to Russia for treatment and disposal.
Again, sounds reasonable to me.

He emphasized the need for Libya to purchase U.S. non-lethal equipment in order to enhance its defense posture. Muatassim requested the "highest level of help possible" to obtain military supplies, including mobile hospitals and uniforms. He also requested assistance with upgrading Libya's equipment, including helicopters. "We can get [equipment] from Russia or China, but we want to get it from you as a symbol of faith from the United States," he said.
And buying equipment here, creating American jobs instead of Russian or Chinese jobs is bad because???

Senator McCain assured Muatassim that the United States wanted to provide Libya with the equipment it needs for its TRIPOLI 00000677 002.2 OF 002 security. He stated that he understood Libya's requests regarding the rehabilitation of its eight C130s (ref D) and pledged to see what he could do to move things forward in Congress. He encouraged Muatassim to keep in mind the long-term perspective of bilateral security engagement and to remember that small obstacles will emerge from time to time that can be overcome. He described the bilateral military relationship as strong and pointed to Libyan officer training at U.S. Command, Staff, and War colleges as some of the best programs for Libyan military participation.
Again, training their military in 'our' ways is bad.... why?

The Senators expressed appreciation for Libya's counterterrorism cooperation in the region. They urged Libya to fulfill the remainder of its WMD commitments. Senator Graham reiterated the need for improved U.S. Embassy security and urged Qadhafi to approve the site for a New Embassy Compound (NEC) as a way to fortify the relationship.
Evil Senators... trying to get them to keep their security related promises and approve a new Embassy compound site. How DARE they!

Wow.... that's one evil meeting :rolleyes:

People should really read what they want to whine about first. It would save them a lot of tears.

BTW... 'who' was President at the time of this meeting, and would have been aware of it? Obama.

Last edited:
FDR colluded with Churchill to cede off eastern europe to stalin. I just can't imagine how those three, fdr, stalin, churchill, managed to stay in office for so long.

And there we have it.

Nations will ally with the DEVIL if it suits their immediate concerns.

Nations are NOT moral organizations.

History shows us example after example of nations as Amoral organizations.

FDR colluded with Churchill to cede off eastern europe to stalin. I just can't imagine how those three, fdr, stalin, churchill, managed to stay in office for so long.

And there we have it.

Nations will ally with the DEVIL if it suits their immediate concerns.

Nations are NOT moral organizations.

History shows us example after example of nations as Amoral organizations.

Mankind is flawed. Governments should strive for good morals. Unfortunately, the paths they pave seem to all lead to hell.

I don't care what side of the aisle you come from in politics.

Everybody should be royally pissed off at all their leaders and politicians that played nicey nicey footsie wootsie with this mother fucking maniac.

Whether it was the Republican administration that gave him a pass and declared this terrorist lunatic "rehabilitated" to the Democrat administration allowing the release of the Lockerbie bomber with nary a peep except for a couple of grandstanding moments, as far as I'm concerned they all carry blood on their hands.

All for fucking oil.

Both sides on this one make me want to bazooka barf.

ETA: and pardon my french but the way the west courted this major sponsor of terrorism pisses me clean off

Last edited:
I don't care what side of the aisle you come from in politics.

Everybody should be royally pissed off at all their leaders and politicians that played nicey nicey footsie wootsie with this mother fucking maniac.

Whether it was the Republican administration that gave him a pass and declared this terrorist lunatic "rehabilitated" to the Democrat administration allowing the release of the Lockerbie bomber with nary a peep except for a couple of grandstanding moment, as far as I'm concerned they all carry blood on their hands.

All for fucking oil.

Both sides on this one make me want to bazooka barf.

They're equally repulsive. I can't even assign degrees of relevance anymore.

New Topics

Forum List

Back