Land Use Regulation and Social Engineering

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I was cruising through my daily RSS feed and came across this article. I was enjoying the articles until I came across this photo – and read what followed.

screen-shot-2015-04-15-at-12-12-45-am.jpg

These photos show a form of development that is illegal almost everywhere in North America. The buildings all touch. That’s illegal. Some buildings have both commercial and residential uses. That’s illegal. All of these buildings have little or no parking. That’s illegal. Even at just three or four stories there’s still far too much density. That’s illegal. There’s a long list of handicap accessibility inadequacies in these buildings. That’s illegal. The streets between these buildings are much too narrow. That’s illegal. And yet these are highly desirable places to live and command premium prices on the open market in large part because they are so rare. So much so, in fact, that voters introduced rent control and other measures to help keep at least some working class people in the neighborhood. “Social engineering.”

I was hooked. Something I've never thought about. Do you have it in your community? Does it even come to public attention and do they hold meetings about it.

Take the time to check this out @ Land Use Regulations and Social Engineering Newgeography.com

We have mixed land use, commercial and residential, that is fairly liberal here.

Forum List

Back