LA teachers union holds school openings hostage

Bob, you are wrong. Sorry. Admiral wins this. Teachers can protest like any other group but legally cannot go on strike. I served on our public school board for 16 years. Admiral 1,. Bob 0.
Teachers walk out all the time to get more and they deserve more.
That happens only in places like Chicago and Philadelphia. Try to find a strike in Florida or Kentucky.

1. The school board here in L.A. is very liberal.

2. Some members do not want charter schools. They want all students to attend regular public schools.

a. A few years ago, one member even castigated some Jewish parents for being "racist" for sending their kids to outstanding Jewish private schools instead of public schools. He could say that because he was himself Jewish.

3. The teachers' union is forced to be politically correct. So of course it had to join the chorus calling for the abolition of the school police.

4. Already, schools cannot suspend students for defiance. So discipline is non-existent. President Obama's administration stopped suspension for defiance because it felt that two certain ethnicities were being unfairly singled out for defiance.

5. The board wants every student to be graduated from high school and then enrolled in the university -- even if a student does NOT want to attend the university.

6. Recently, Los Angeles taxpayers wisely rejected a proposal to tax people for more money destined for the schools. The powers-that-be are going to put that proposal on the ballot again and again and again until they pass it!
Need to bring back paddling that ass and suspensions!

And Bob why don't you quit your cushy job and big salary and teach? It's so easy. Just show up and the kids yearn for your expertise. You dimestore whiners are a dime a dozen.
And what makes you come to the conclusion that I am opposed to teachers, pray tell? And whining no less?

Where do they walk out? As a school board member I always supported the union, and what they did for our kids. Too many Americans want them to teach for free. It's the conservative way.

Teachers are largely over paid in our country. It's ridiculous to think otherwise really.

Here in Ohio, we had hundreds of people wait in line to apply for just a few open teaching positions.

Why are hundreds of people trying to get a job that according to you, is underpaid? You don't see people flocking to Wendy's for a burger job, because the pay is low.

If teachers were even remotely underpaid, you wouldn't see hundreds of people clamoring to get the job.

Bob, you are wrong. Sorry. Admiral wins this. Teachers can protest like any other group but legally cannot go on strike. I served on our public school board for 16 years. Admiral 1,. Bob 0.

And I think that's wrong. Going on strike, against a private employer, knock yourself out and get fired and replaced, or bankrupt the company. Do whatever you feel.

But teachers are screwing over the public. Pretty easy to go protest, when it's other people screwed over to pay the bill, using the power of government.

Where do they walk out? As a school board member I always supported the union, and what they did for our kids. Too many Americans want them to teach for free. It's the conservative way.

Teachers are largely over paid in our country. It's ridiculous to think otherwise really.

Here in Ohio, we had hundreds of people wait in line to apply for just a few open teaching positions.

Why are hundreds of people trying to get a job that according to you, is underpaid? You don't see people flocking to Wendy's for a burger job, because the pay is low.

If teachers were even remotely underpaid, you wouldn't see hundreds of people clamoring to get the job.
I believe that teachers are grossly underpaid since they are largely responsible for our kids' growth. Can anybody put a price tag on that? To attract capable people, they have to be paid accordingly. The question is......where does the money come from? However, I am opposed to unions that hold communities hostage.

I believe that teachers are grossly underpaid since they are largely responsible for our kids' growth. Can anybody put a price tag on that? To attract capable people, they have to be paid accordingly. The question is......where does the money come from? However, I am opposed to unions that hold communities hostage.

Teachers are not grossly underpaid.

My parents today are millionaires. They have a net worth of roughly $1.5 Million I'd say. They were public school teachers.

Can anybody put a price tag on that? Yes of course they can.

If the price was so high, that you ended up homeless and on the street with your educated, but now starving to death kid, you would understand that of course prices matter.

Look at Venezuela. Free education man.... starving to death, and bitterly impoverished.

Yes, you can put a price on it, of course you can.

If you compare US teacher wages, to those around the world.... most teachers are paid less... *AND* most provide better education while being paid less.

Teaching is not like most jobs. You have to be certified in the area you are being hired. No, it is not overpaid. I made $55K for one year out of 21 and it was in the worst school in the state.

My parents today are millionaires. They have a net worth of roughly $1.5 Million I'd say. They were public school teachers.

If the price was so high, that you ended up homeless and on the street with your educated, but now starving to death kid, you would understand that of course prices matter.

Look at Venezuela. Free education man.... starving to death, and bitterly impoverished.

If you compare US teacher wages, to those around the world.... most teachers are paid less... *AND* most provide better education while being paid less.

Where did your parents teach and for how long? That makes a huge difference.

You obviously are an idiot if you don't understand cost of living. A NYC teacher's pay would be double that in someplace like Florida.

That happens only in places like Chicago and Philadelphia. Try to find a strike in Florida or Kentucky.

There was one...
Florida statewide teachers' strike of 1968 - Wikipedia ;)

I was in HS at the time. There were student organized counter 'protests'. It was slightly ironic to see some of the 'least likely' to graduate students marching around campus with banners and loudly shouting (in unison) - 'We the class of '68... deserve the right to graduate!"

There was one...
Florida statewide teachers' strike of 1968 - Wikipedia ;)

I was in HS at the time. There were student organized counter 'protests'. It was slightly ironic to see some of the 'least likely' to graduate students marching around campus with banners and loudly shouting (in unison) - 'We the class of '68... deserve the right to graduate!"

My God, you are old! :abgg2q.jpg:
I was in 2nd grade in KY. They still tell stories of teachers who lost their jobs and teacher certifications from that strike when I worked in FL from 1996-2006.

The union more likely has the problem facing real adults in mind: A super-spreader outbreak affecting the "Petri Dishes" in the LA neighborhoods, requiring faculty and staff sent home--not allowed to show for work, quarantined 14 days. The Mississippi Governor donned his own preventive apparel. The State's five largest hospitals send patients out-of-state, already. Notice posters suggesting labor alternatives--relaxing credentials, background checks, using recently released convicts for baby-sitters and on and on. Orange County, CA schools don't even require face-protections or physical distancing. Anyone guesses that RNC will suggest using convict labor!

The lethal intent of the RNC goes marching on! At Jacksonville Convention--replacing a coughing and spitting indoor convention with an outdoor venue(?): Beach Blankets with people yelling and spitting, pool party gatherings? There could be lake confabs of the like-minded attendees: Yelling in unison and spitting on one another.

In rational schools, likely even fan attendance and sporting events won't happen. The White House may use that, even, as a pretext to cut-off federal monies for all statewide activities.

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(See in Deut 23: 19-20--charging not one another, but gouging and screwing all the neighbors--(and not generally noticed!)

If schools don't open then I want my school tax money back.
Your refund is in the mail. Don't hang by your thumbs while you wait, though.

We are used to being fucked by the filthy ass government.

We sent our kids to private school so they didn't have to put up with disaster of desegregation and bussing but we still had to pay for other people's kids education.

Fuck the government.

You obviously are an idiot if you don't understand cost of living. A NYC teacher's pay would be double that in someplace like Florida.
My parents were not teachers. I was a small business owner for 30+ years and have an excellent understanding of "cost of living". I am referring to the responsibility that teachers have and the knowledge that they should have to influence our children in undergraduate schools relative to mental and social growth.

My parents were not teachers. I was a small business owner for 30+ years and have an excellent understanding of "cost of living". I am referring to the responsibility that teachers have and the knowledge that they should have to influence our children in undergraduate schools relative to mental and social growth.
Where is that in the curriculum?

Forum List

Back