Kremlin Signals a Harder Line on Relations With the U.S.

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
MOSCOW -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev struck a Cold War tone on Tuesday, pledging to press ahead with an ambitious rearmament program in response to what he described as NATO's military expansion close to Russia's borders.

His hawkish comments come ahead of his first meeting with President Barack Obama early next month at the Group of 20 meeting, and were paired with even tougher rhetoric from Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov. Mr. Serdyukov accused the U.S. of trying to push Russia out of its traditional sphere of influence -- the former Soviet Union -- in order to secure raw materials and energy supplies.

Analysts said the comments were designed to send a signal to Mr. Obama that the Kremlin wouldn't be an easy negotiating partner.

"It's more a message to America: Don't take us for granted," said Nikolai Zlobin, a senior fellow at the World Security Institute, a Washington think tank. "Medvedev is trying to create leverage and certain spaces that he can give up later, calling it a compromise."

The U.S. reaction was muted. Obama administration spokesman Robert Gibbs said on Tuesday that the North Atlantic Treaty Organization "is a collective defense organization. I think to suggest that it poses an offensive military threat is simply wrong."

Mr. Gibbs said Mr. Obama "looks forward to meeting with President Medvedev in London at the beginning of the G-20 economic summit" in April.

The Obama administration has said it hopes for a qualitative improvement, or "reset," in U.S.-Russia relations, which have been severely strained in recent years. On the agenda: a key nuclear-arms control treaty, Iran's nuclear program, NATO enlargement, and a possible U.S. missile-defense shield in Eastern Europe.

"I have not heard any alarm in this building about any proposed Russian buildup of its military," said Department of Defense spokesman Geoff Morrell. "We enjoy a good military-to-military relationship with the Russians. ... As long as we have a good dialogue and a good understanding of what we are both developing our militaries for, I don't see that it poses a problem or a threat."

U.S. foreign policy in the former Soviet Union is also at issue, and Tuesday's comments from Moscow appeared to be a reference to Georgia, against which Russia fought a short, victorious war last summer. The U.S. supplied Georgia with military training and uniforms, while former President George W. Bush was a vocal supporter of U.S.-educated Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili.

The Kremlin appears to want Washington to know it has neither forgotten nor forgiven that backing.

"Active support was given to the processes aimed at pushing Russia out of the sphere of its traditional interests," Mr. Serdyukov said in his speech to Russia's top military officers in Moscow.

At the same event, Mr. Medvedev pledged to stay the course with a large-scale rearmament program for the army and navy, to begin in 2011. He promised more military exercises, more and better Russian-made military hardware, and a revamped strategic nuclear rocket force.

The Russian president also vowed that the financial crisis roiling Russia wouldn't affect already-budgeted military upgrades. This year, Russia is spending a post-Soviet high of 1.5 trillion rubles, or about $43 billion, on new weapons.

Kremlin Signals a Harder Line on Relations With the U.S. - WSJ.com

this is the direct product of the missle shield *wink wink* in eastern Europe. I don't recall that being a democratic platform...

In other news today, the sun rose.

I realize that you find threads that are not actively looking to suck your zionism off a little boring, davey, but you might want to pay attention given who you hope will pounce on iran for you (America) while Russia is basically nullifying our zionist support by giving Iran anti aircraft weapons. I know, I know.. thinking three steps ahead isn't NEARLY as fun as crying antisemite while petting the yarmulke of your team mates but...

this is the direct product of the missle shield *wink wink* in eastern Europe. I don't recall that being a democratic platform...

I know this requires a bit of thought, but might if not be possible that the "missile shield" itself is a US response to Russian actions....or inaction....or both.

Consider, Russia has been a constant block to the prevention of development of nuclear weapons in Iran. Perhaps the missile shield was put up to nudge them off of that position. We'll leave aside their exhibition of last year since the shield was clearly in motion before then.

I know this requires a bit of thought, but might if not be possible that the "missile shield" itself is a US response to Russian actions....or inaction....or both.

Consider, Russia has been a constant block to the prevention of development of nuclear weapons in Iran. Perhaps the missile shield was put up to nudge them off of that position. We'll leave aside their exhibition of last year since the shield was clearly in motion before then.

of COURSE it's always someone elses fault! After all, we always hear about russia try and put a "missle shield" in Cuba, don't we?

:lol:

hey, dude.. believe it or not sometimes your own shit DOES, in fact, stink.

of COURSE it's always someone elses fault! After all, we always hear about russia try and put a "missle shield" in Cuba, don't we?

How is it "my" shit? I don't have a missile shield. All I'm saying is that sometimes people fail to look beyond the first degree when trying to ascribe causation.

Now, there could be something the US did to Russia to cause it to be intransigent on the Iran issue. Or, it could be pursuing its own agenda. What the "blame America first" crowd fail to understand is that other countries contain their own assholes with fucked up ideas and are hellbent on seeing them through. So not everything relates or happens as a result of something the US does.

How is it "my" shit? I don't have a missile shield. All I'm saying is that sometimes people fail to look beyond the first degree when trying to ascribe causation.

Now, there could be something the US did to Russia to cause it to be intransigent on the Iran issue. Or, it could be pursuing its own agenda. What the "blame America first" crowd fail to understand is that other countries contain their own assholes with fucked up ideas and are hellbent on seeing them through. So not everything relates or happens as a result of something the US does.

Dude, we spent no less than three fucking years during the bush administration knowing damn well that Russia was reacting negatively to that missile defense shield *wink wink*. HOW, you ask? Because we were told at every step BY RUSSIA.

Watching you people cry foul NOW is a fucking joke.

US and Poland seal missile deal
Moscow has argued the project will upset the military balance in Europe and has warned it will be forced to redirect its missiles at Poland.
BBC NEWS | Europe | US and Poland seal missile deal

Rice: Russia's fury at the US-Poland missile defence deal is 'bizarre'
'In this case Russia will be forced to react, and not only through diplomatic demarches (procedures)'.

The latest war of words is certain to increase tensions between Russia and the U.S., which have already been heightened by Moscow's decision to invade Georgia and take control of the breakaway province of South Ossetia.
Rice: Russia's fury at the US-Poland missile defence deal is 'bizarre' | Mail Online

Condoleezza Rice faces Russia over missile shield plan
The plan doesn’t have unanimous support in Europe either, where there are fears it might antagonise Russia.
Condoleezza Rice faces Russia over missile shield plan | Top Stories from 2007-10-12 | RT

Rice, Russian Clash Over Kosovo Plan, Missile Shield

POTSDAM, Germany, May 30 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Wednesday tangled fiercely over U.S. proposals to grant Kosovo independence and build a missile defense shield. Lavrov accused the United States of starting a new arms race with its plan to install a radar system in the Czech Republic and 10 interceptor missiles in Poland.
Rice, Russian Clash Over Kosovo Plan, Missile Shield - washingtonpost.com

1,000 rally in Prague to protest missile shield

Russia fiercely oppose the plan and threatened Tuesday to react with an unspecified military response if the U.S.-Czech missile defense agreement is ratified.
1,000 rally in Prague to protest missile shield World News | Breaking International & Foreign News - cleveland.com

Like I said, mr rose smelling shit, this was a predictable situation brought about by nothing less than the SOLE disregard of Condi-type Americans thinking that they are holier than the rest of the world. You'll discover how stupid the "oh noez, it's a blame america firster" shit is during this next nuclear infused cold war after Russia, Venezuela and Iran install their own missile defense shield *wink wink* in Cuba.

Here are a few more for you.. you know.. just to top off that fresh rose flavored poo smell.

US missile shield in Europe prompts arms race: Russia
Moscow, Aug 21 (RIA Novosti) US agreements on deploying elements of its missile shield in Poland and the Czech Republic provoke an arms race and do not provide for European security, the Russian Foreign Ministry has said. “It is worth stressing that the deployment of the third site in Europe with genuine anti-Russian potential by no means enhances security on the continent,” a ministry statement said Wednesday.

“Such measures provoke mistrust and prompt an arms race on the continent and beyond its borders,” the statement added.

Rice urges missile shield completion
Washington Times - Rice urges missile shield completion

Here are a few more for you.. you know.. just to top off that fresh rose flavored poo smell.

Moscow, Aug 21 (RIA Novosti) US agreements on deploying elements of its missile shield in Poland and the Czech Republic provoke an arms race and do not provide for European security, the Russian Foreign Ministry has said. “It is worth stressing that the deployment of the third site in Europe with genuine anti-Russian potential by no means enhances security on the continent,” a ministry statement said Wednesday.

“Such measures provoke mistrust and prompt an arms race on the continent and beyond its borders,” the statement added.

Rice urges missile shield completion
Washington Times - Rice urges missile shield completion

You must be acting deliberately obtuse.

You are looking at the first degree issue. They are pissed at us because we want to put missiles in Europe that could, if we wanted them to, shoot down their missiles aimed at Europe. Considering they keep cutting off Europe's natural gas supply, I can't say that's a bad idea. Russia has been acting increasingly unstable. Much more like their old invade and ask questions later selves.

What I'm saying is why did we decide to put the thing up their ass in the first place? You have to scratch a bit deeper. Or perhaps you think that America should just do what anyone tells us to do and if we make them upset, we've done the wrong thing? If we find we've offended anyone we should pack our toys and run home possibly sending them a letter of apology, flowers and a box of chocolates.

Maybe we'll run our foreign policy like that again. That's how we did it under Carter. By the time he left office American embassies were being blown up like fireworks on the Fourth of July. One after another as countries exploited the fact that the US was helpless and lacked the will to do anything at all. You'll get to see the price you pay for that kind of policy, I have no doubt. So far the Obama regime has done a good rendition of being the Keystone Kops of foreign affairs.

One last note, you do know the difference between offensive missiles and defensive missiles, right? Based on what you wrote, I'm not sure.

hey dude... in tis age of the hindsight of the iraq war you really have no ground to make some excuse regarding the moral authority of US actions anywhere in the world. Instead of realizing how OUR actions have CAUSES Russia to arm itslef, much like WE WOULD when Cuba gets ITS nuke silos, you keep reaching for excuses...

when.. again... we knew damn well how this would play out two years ago. Now, you may be of the mind that King US should ahve open jurisdiction on the entire globe but, as you can see, the rest of the world (that we don't have in our pocket) disagrees.

but hey.. if YOU want to push buttons then don't be shocked when reactions happen. Looking for some way to blame Russia for reacting to a fucking American nuke silo in their back yard is a fools attempt to insist that their shit smells lovely despite the gathering flies.

ps.. this is nothing less than this decades version of REAGANS fucked up Star Wars program. Want to keep wondering why arms races happen? Thats fine.. But, you have to ignore your instigation when you do.

One last note, you do know the difference between offensive missiles and defensive missiles, right? Based on what you wrote, I'm not sure.

HA!

oooook... sure, dude.. I mean.. Hell.. if they SAY that the missiles are ONLY able to be used in "defense" then that MUST BE TRUE! *wink wink*

again.. just wait until your kind are busy crying like bitches about the new silos installed in Cuba by Russia, Iran and Venezuela.. Given the last 10 years it's pretty clear who the world needs to defend themselves from..

Now, there could be something the US did to Russia to cause it to be intransigent on the Iran issue.

The old Soviet Union has always had an interest in the middle east, starting before World War 2. I would even venture to say that they began to get involved in the 1920s after the Ottoman Empire fell and they became the Soviet Union. Most of the wars fought between Israel and other countries were fought with American technology from Israel and Soviet Union technology from Syria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, etc.

It's been that way until the 1980s and even the 1990s under the Clinton Administration after the first Gulf War. Arab countries, in exchange for making peace with Israel, got American military technology. Coinciding with the breakup of the Soviet Union, Russia lost a lot of defense contracts with Arab countries. You also see Russia trying to gain influence in South America because of the influence it lost with the middle east. The only country Russia has been able to maintain control with is Iran because of their hard line against America and American interests.

Iran is Russia's last grasp in the Middle East. If Iran falls, one of Russia's biggest customers falls. That's probably why Russia has setup Iran with a nuke, because they know an attack on Iran would be much less likely and Iran will keep coming back to them for more weapons to counter a potential US/Israel attack.

Last edited:
hey dude... in tis age of the hindsight of the iraq war you really have no ground to make some excuse regarding the moral authority of US actions anywhere in the world. Instead of realizing how OUR actions have CAUSES Russia to arm itslef, much like WE WOULD when Cuba gets ITS nuke silos, you keep reaching for excuses...

when.. again... we knew damn well how this would play out two years ago. Now, you may be of the mind that King US should ahve open jurisdiction on the entire globe but, as you can see, the rest of the world (that we don't have in our pocket) disagrees.

but hey.. if YOU want to push buttons then don't be shocked when reactions happen. Looking for some way to blame Russia for reacting to a fucking American nuke silo in their back yard is a fools attempt to insist that their shit smells lovely despite the gathering flies.

ps.. this is nothing less than this decades version of REAGANS fucked up Star Wars program. Want to keep wondering why arms races happen? Thats fine.. But, you have to ignore your instigation when you do.

FINALLY! Thank you for admitting you don't know what you are talking about. The US is not putting nukes in Europe. Not since Reagan and Gorby agreed on the IMF Treaty and we removed our Pershing IIs. We're putting missiles that shoot down missiles in Europe. Call it Star Wars pejoratively if you want. Reagan's Star Wars was a bluff that worked. Drove the Soviets into xenophobic bankruptcy.

In the instant case, while accusing me of not thinking the US's shit stinks, you run around acting like only the US's shit stinks. I got news bud, everyone's shit stinks. Every country on the face of the planet has interactive interests internationally. We pursue our policies to achieve our foreign policy goals. Some moves on the global chess board are blatant and obvious, but that is a VERY tiny percentage.

When dealing with large and independent actors like Russia and China, the levers you can use against them are few and typically large and complex. Ascribing simplistic notions to multi-year and multi-dimensional policy initiatives is foolish. Ultimately, you may agree with Putin that Europe should be Russia's whipping boy that he can by turns intimidate by nuclear threat and/or intimidate by withholding gas supplies.

If that's the kind of world you think is better, I think I have to disagree with you. The missile shield would provide at least a partial option to the Europeans. But, perhaps, you would prefer total disengagement and isolation?

HA!

oooook... sure, dude.. I mean.. Hell.. if they SAY that the missiles are ONLY able to be used in "defense" then that MUST BE TRUE! *wink wink*

again.. just wait until your kind are busy crying like bitches about the new silos installed in Cuba by Russia, Iran and Venezuela.. Given the last 10 years it's pretty clear who the world needs to defend themselves from..

Weren't you taking notes during the Cuban Missile Crisis? You put nukes in Cuba and it is an act of war against the US. Dust off your copy of the Monroe Doctrine.

HA!

Weren't you taking notes during the Cuban Missile Crisis? You put nukes in Cuba and it is an act of war against the US. Dust off your copy of the Monroe Doctrine.

....which is a pretty fucking ironic reaction to NUKES IN YOUR BACK FUCKING YARD, eh?

:rofl:

check mate. Way to think a couple steps ahead. Why do you think I used that specific example?

Now, there could be something the US did to Russia to cause it to be intransigent on the Iran issue.

The old Soviet Union has always had an interest in the middle east, starting before World War 2. I would even venture to say that they began to get involved in the 1920s after the Ottoman Empire fell and they became the Soviet Union. Most of the wars fought between Israel and other countries were fought with American technology from Israel and Soviet Union technology from Syria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, etc.

It's been that way until the 1980s and even the 1990s under the Clinton Administration after the first Gulf War. Arab countries, in exchange for making peace with Israel, got American military technology. Coinciding with the breakup of the Soviet Union, Russia lost a lot of defense contracts with Arab countries. You also see Russia trying to gain influence in South America because of the influence it lost with the middle east. The only country Russia has been able to maintain control with is Iran because of their hard line against America and American interests.

Iran is Russia's last grasp in the Middle East. If Iran falls, one of Russia's biggest customers falls. That's probably why Russia has setup Iran with a nuke, because they know an attack on Iran would be much less likely.

I'll agree with that. Also, Russia has recently made significant weapons contracts with Syria, trying to get a little of that shine back on their military industrial complex. That and they found out that Israel was supplying Georgia with weapons....ooops! So they decided to visit a little pain in Israel's direction.....by proxy of course.

HA!

....which is a pretty fucking ironic reaction to NUKES IN YOUR BACK FUCKING YARD, eh?

:rofl:

check mate. Way to think a couple steps ahead. Why do you think I used that specific example?

Dumbass. There aren't any nukes in Europe (Not ours anyway). So what the fuck are you talking about?

Forum List

Back