Ken Paxton: Why Republicans are impeaching a Trump ally in Texas

Tom Paine 1949

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2020

This BBC article gives a pretty clear view of the almost unprecedented battle within Texas among Republican state politicians themselves to impeach, convict and bar from office their powerful pro-Trump Republican Attorney General, Ken Paxton.

I would love to hear some informed opinions of our Texans here at USMB! This news is not new and we’ve had threads on it before, but Trump has now jumped into the fray with both feet, and there have been new developments that more informed commenters here may want to tell us about.

My own rather uninformed opinion is that it is generally almost always encouraging when a political party — any party — seeks to remove one of its own corrupt leaders.

Last edited:

This BBC article gives a pretty clear view of the almost unprecedented battle within Texas among Republican state politicians themselves to impeach, convict and bar from office their powerful pro-Trump Republican Attorney General, Ken Paxton.

I would love to hear some informed opinions of our Texans here at USMB! This news is not new and we’ve had threads on it before, but Trump has now jumped into the fray with both feet, and there have been new developments that more informed commenters here may want to tell us about.

My own rather uninformed opinion it that it is generally almost always encouraging when a political party — any party — seeks to remove one of its own corrupt leaders.
Wow! 150 person Texas House with only 64 Democrats and 86 Republicans, yet all but 23 no votes in all?

Texas GOP votes what the preacher tells it to vote.

That is why the Texas GOP is filled with Zionist 911 W "Biden Republicans" because supporting Israel is first on the priority list of the preacher...

My own rather uninformed opinion is that it is generally almost always encouraging when a political party — any party — seeks to remove one of its own corrupt leaders.

No mystery for those of us who live here; he beat out a Bush family member for the AG office. Jeb pretty much owns the GOP and hates Trump for beating him out in the primaries. Bushes are also still big in Texas, and with Florida's GOP in Jeb's pocket that is two of the four biggest states in the U.S. under their influence, the to largest GOP states. Some wonder why the GOP sandbags Trump? It's no mystery to those who can see the obvious.

Republicans don't care any more about 'corruption' than Democrats and deviants do. It's just silly and naive to think otherwise.

Meet Jeb's son:

George Prescott Bush (born April 24, 1976)[1] is an American politician and attorney who served as the commissioner of the Texas General Land Office from 2015 to 2023. A member of the Republican Party, Bush unsuccessfully campaigned for the party's nomination in the 2022 Texas Attorney General election.

A fourth-generation elected official of the Bush family, he is the eldest child of the former governor of Florida, Jeb Bush; nephew of the 43rd president, George W. Bush; grandson of the 41st president, George H. W. Bush; and great-grandson of the former U.S. senator from Connecticut, Prescott Bush.

If you can't connect those dots, you should take up checkers or sewing and avoid political analysis as a hobby.

Last edited:
No mystery for those of us who live here; he beat out a Bush family member for the AG office. Jeb pretty much owns the GOP and hates Trump for beating him out in the primaries. Bushes are also still big in Texas, and with Florida's GOP in Jeb's pocket that is two of the four biggest states in the U.S. under their influence, the to largest GOP states. Some wonder why the GOP sandbags Trump? It's no mystery to those who can see the obvious.

Republicans don't care any more about 'corruption' than Democrats and deviants do. It's just silly and naive to think otherwise.

Meet Jeb's son:

George Prescott Bush (born April 24, 1976)[1] is an American politician and attorney who served as the commissioner of the Texas General Land Office from 2015 to 2023. A member of the Republican Party, Bush unsuccessfully campaigned for the party's nomination in the 2022 Texas Attorney General election.

A fourth-generation elected official of the Bush family, he is the eldest child of the former governor of Florida, Jeb Bush; nephew of the 43rd president, George W. Bush; grandson of the 41st president, George H. W. Bush; and great-grandson of the former U.S. senator from Connecticut, Prescott Bush.

If you can't connect those dots, you should take up checkers or sewing and avoid political analysis as a hobby.
Thanks for the information, but you could at least have mentioned that by that 2022 primary Paxton was already a powerful two-time elected Attorney General, already facing criminal charges for securities violations and accused by his own staffers of accepting bribes.

His opponent was as you say George Prescott Bush, but you don’t mention Prescott was himself then the only member of the Bush family that actively supported Trump and had even declared himself for Trump in 2024. Prescott said he chose to oppose Paxton primarily because of all the controversies over his personal integrity. Trump hesitated a bit but finally came out fully for Paxton — as he did for so many other Trump fanatics and ultra-extremist politicians.

Honestly I am not so interested in personalities or in demonizing political families. I am more interested in contributors and political interests. I have heard that powerful donors and Big Oil interests provide much of the financing for the Republican Party in Texas, and many have abandoned Paxton, but I do not know why, or whether they consider him still viable.

Also I do not know if there is any significant division between these Republican factions on “culture war” issues or on other issues, or in willingness to work with Democrats on any issues at all. If there are such differences I haven’t seen any reports of them.

The trial in the State Senate will be close, or so I hear, since Paxton only needs 20 or so votes to prevent his conviction on impeachment charges, and he may have just enough. Is that true?

Perhaps you can continue to enlighten us on some of these subjects as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, but you could at least have mentioned that by that 2022 primary Paxton was already a powerful two-time elected Attorney General, already facing criminal charges for securities violations and accused by his own staffers of accepting bribes.

His opponent was as you say George Prescott Bush, but you don’t mention Prescott was himself then the only member of the Bush family that actively supported Trump and had even declared himself for Trump in 2024. Prescott said he chose to oppose Paxton primarily because of all the controversies over his personal integrity. Trump hesitated a bit but finally came out fully for Paxton — as he did for so many other Trump fanatics and ultra-extremist politicians.

And the Bushes had thier eyes on that long before they ran; they just didn't pop up in 2022 and decided to run on a whim. You go for lesser offices first. They 'support Trump' in rhetoric but never in actions, so their 'endorsements' mean nothing; we've seen all kinds of 'trump supporters' drop dead on the job when it came time to fight the frauds and conduct real investigations and file charges against Democrat criminals. Again, the GOP hacks claiming to be 'against corruption n stuff' is just theater, same as it is with Democrats.

They all take bribes. It's how they raise money.

There are legal and illegal ways to give and accept money — in case you didn’t know. Same with dealing with securities. Political money usually goes into campaign committees, not directly into pockets. But then you probably do know more about corruption in Texas than I do. I am sure it is endemic in your state. Trump loyalists like Ken Paxton, at least in my experience here in Florida, tend to be pretty brazen where corruption is concerned…

Last edited:
Here is an article describing what Ken Paxton did to bring about this unprecedented impeachment trial in the Texas Senate. Note that eight of his own handpicked assistants, all staunch Conservative Republicans, warned him he was going too far, were fired, and many subsequently testified against him:

Last edited:
All politicians must raise funds for their campaigns. Is that itself bribery? No it is not. It is not illegal and in itself it is not even “immoral.” If it leads to an Attorney General providing favors to his personal friends and contributors, it may certainly be immoral and scandalous.

But quietly taking private money to fix up ones own expensive home is generally both immoral and illegal, as were other things Paxton is accused of having done or tried to do by his own top hand-picked assistant district attorneys and personal staff.

Yes. Politics is almost always “dirty” to a certain degree. I wonder if you support any changes in law aimed at limiting corporate special interest financing & strengthening “anti-corruption” standards. For example, did you support or oppose the Supreme Court’s Citizen’s United decision or other state legislation to make contributions transparent and to limit big money corporate dominance of politicians?

In any case the trial of this ultra-right Attorney General will be decided in the Texas Senate, according to Texas law.

Last edited:
His wife is a Senator, she... under rules ...recused herself....

But under the rules she also must, sit through the impeachment trial....

....hearing all of the evidence against him, including the money and cover up of his affair and mistress, and trying to get congress to pay for it....

And all the quid pro quo....

Is not going to be easy on her.....

I dont think any democrat-controlled legislature would vote to convict a democrat under the same circumstances

Paxton my be guilty

But only republicans still believe in the rule of law

Forum List

Back