Keep that Atheism to Yourself

For you? Most definitely a religion and you clearly believe only your religion should be allowed. No thank you. I'll use my own blind guess. I don't need yours imposed upon me.

But thank you for the irrelevant bumper stickers.

No, the Constitution clearly says- No Establishment of Religion. Period. Keep your Dogma off my lawn.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

So now tell me is a law prohibiting a person from engaging in his religious beliefs on public land tantamount to prohibiting the free exercise thereof?

Atheists are funny to me and I happen to identify myself as one. My main difference with most atheists is that I don't care if other people practice their religion or say a prayer on public property. As long as congress passes no law respecting or prohibiting it.

As an example in high school the coaches liked to say the lord's prayer. I stood with the team but didn't recite the words. No big deal.

How can anyone be offended by that which they do not believe anyway?

Frankly, I think it is because they do believe.

No one should be allowed to use coercive government to push their personal beliefs on others.
Well, we should close the public schools tomorrow.

Got a problem with the FLOTUS telling American kids what to eat?

That is a prime example of personal belief being forced on to others.

Do you object?

What offends me is that they are constantly trying to shove their shit down our throats.

Today it's reciting a prayer on my tax dime, tomorrow it's making me say that fucking prayer.

You gotta stop these fuckers in their tracks, don't give them an inch.

What offends me is people who think they are the only one's who deserve the right to express themselves because they are "offended". But you go right ahead, because even theocrats have the right to push their agenda. Don't you just love freedom?

For you? Most definitely a religion and you clearly believe only your religion should be allowed. No thank you. I'll use my own blind guess. I don't need yours imposed upon me.

No, the Constitution clearly says- No Establishment of Religion. Period. Keep your Dogma off my lawn.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

So now tell me is a law prohibiting a person from engaging in his religious beliefs on public land tantamount to prohibiting the free exercise thereof?

Atheists are funny to me and I happen to identify myself as one. My main difference with most atheists is that I don't care if other people practice their religion or say a prayer on public property. As long as congress passes no law respecting or prohibiting it.

As an example in high school the coaches liked to say the lord's prayer. I stood with the team but didn't recite the words. No big deal.

How can anyone be offended by that which they do not believe anyway

Would anyone be offended if prior to the game we formed a circle to pronounce that there was no Jesus?

Atheist coach

"Look boys, there ain't no Jesus who is gunna help us win this game. We gotta do it on our own"

No parents would be offended?

Would anyone be offended if prior to the game we formed a circle to pronounce that there was no Jesus?

Perhaps. In my reading of the first amendment I find nothing which says you won't be offended.

The land is being paid for with tax dollars whether people are on it or not. As long as no laws are passed respecting or prohibiting there is no issue with people praying on public property.

If you guys want to keep fighting the lawsuits to keep it that way, have at it.

You'll lose.
Who are you guys?

I have already said I counted myself an atheist. Maybe you should slow down when you read. It's OK to follow along with your finger and move your lips. We won't laugh at you.

Atheist coach

"Look boys, there ain't no Jesus who is gunna help us win this game. We gotta do it on our own"

I really don't care. No one is forced to agree. I happen to agree that a supreme being if there is one doesn't really give a shit about a high school football game anyway.

There is no right not to be offended is there?

Atheist coach

I really don't care. No one is forced to agree. I happen to agree that a supreme being if there is one doesn't really give a shit about a high school football game anyway.

This is what open religious expression means. If a coach can have the team recite the Lords Prayer asking for Jesus' blessing, an atheist coach can also use the occaision to declare that there is no Jesus

Religious belief is best left to parents and churches.....it should not be dictated by coaches

Atheist coach

This is what open religious expression means. If a coach can have the team recite the Lords Prayer asking for Jesus' blessing, an atheist coach can also use the occaision to declare that there is no Jesus

Religious belief is best left to parents and churches.....it should not be dictated by coaches
It's not.

If a coach wants to invite a team to say a prayer so what?

You don't have to say it. I never did. My coach's religious beliefs never influenced me.

He is not forcing people to participate he is merely exercising his beliefs and there can be no law passed that prohibits him from doing so.

Atheist coach

I agree the coach should not be leading a prayer. If the players want to do that, that is their right. If they want to lay down rugs and bow to Mecca, that is their right. If they want to tell each other there is no God, that is their right. Hopefully, this all happens with respect but there is also nothing in the first amendment about being polite.

Which means the government can't make you go to church, or pay a tithe, or, yes, even host a service on your property. It doesn't prevent a religion from marching down your street.

There no reason to accept that as true.

There is if you pay any attention at all to history.
I do pay attention to history which is why your comment is absurd.

Really. So the belief that the sun going across the sky was Apollo riding his chariot would be.... what?
Myth and legend. No different than magical gardens with talking snakes, global floods, etc.

So, taking the natural and calling it supernatural because they didn't understand it. Thank you for confirming my point.

If you believe "magical gardens with talking snakes and global floods" is natural, you need to see a mental health professional and quick.

OP, What beliefs or practices are non-Religious people using in schools or government institutions that you feel need to be banned?

TemplarKormac never did answer that, did he? Dumb ass kid needs to read the First Amendment..

When was the last time an atheist accosted someone in a hospital waiting room or other public place to rant and rave? Or, came to your door to preach and screech at you?

I have no problem with whatever silly stories they want to believe but it belongs in church. Those who want to hear it are free to go to any of the hundreds of thousands of special buildings our culture has set aside just for that purpose.

Someone recently said that the faithful don't need a church - that their religion is everywhere.

I practice my religion in my home. Does that mean I can stop paying property taxes?

Last edited:
There is if you pay any attention at all to history.

Really. So the belief that the sun going across the sky was Apollo riding his chariot would be.... what?
Myth and legend. No different than magical gardens with talking snakes, global floods, etc.

So, taking the natural and calling it supernatural because they didn't understand it. Thank you for confirming my point.

If you believe "magical gardens with talking snakes and global floods" is natural, you need to see a mental health professional and quick.

You are fixated by that image. Perhaps you need to resolve some of those issues. But anyway, thanks again for confirming my point.

You are fixated by that image. Perhaps you need to resolve some of those issues. But anyway, thanks again for confirming my point.

Oh don't be silly.

Believe whatever you want but don't pretend its "natural".

Or rational. Or sane.

Oh don't be silly.

Or rational. Or sane.

What it is is a typical reaction by human beings to the unknown. If they don't know the answer, they make one up. You can call it irrational or insane if that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. As I just pointed out, that is the kind of thing human beings do.

Oh don't be silly.

Or rational. Or sane.

What it is is a typical reaction by human beings to the unknown. If they don't know the answer, they make one up. You can call it irrational or insane if that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. As I just pointed out, that is the kind of thing human beings do.
Humans have responded to the unknown in many ways. Gawds have been invented to "explain" the unknown and science has been the tool to investigate and explore.

The history of humanity defines that over time, our supernatural, AKA religious perceptions have changed. As our knowledge of the natural world has become more precise, our conceptions of the material world have changed and more closely approximate truth. Humanity has progressed from animism, to paganism, to polytheism, to monotheism, from supernatural theism, to ID'iot creationism, to reinventions of gods who are little more than paper shufflers. We have evolved our conception of existence from a universe of 3 stories (heaven, earth and hell) to a flat earth, to a round earth at the center of the universe, to a small planet circling an ordinary star at a point in space in an ordinary galaxy within an immense universe. Our timelines have expanded from a 6,000 year old earth, to an earth 4-5 billion years old within a universe of 14 billion years with mass extinctions, and human history just a brief moment in all that history. All of the changes in our understanding and conception of the nature of the universe have dictated a change in our conception of the various gods that have been invented to explain the natural world we didn't understand. Fear of the unknown and the invention of gods, demons and supernatural entities in various forms is a constant feature of human history, culture and society as a means to placate our fears. I think it is unlikely that religions, gods and notions of supernatural entities will cease to exist but our history has shown, traditional explanations and concepts of gods and religions are in conflict with our knowledge of the nature of reality.

Oh don't be silly.

Or rational. Or sane.

Humans have responded to the unknown in many ways. Gawds have been invented to "explain" the unknown and science has been the tool to investigate and explore.

The history of humanity defines that over time, our supernatural, AKA religious perceptions have changed. As our knowledge of the natural world has become more precise, our conceptions of the material world have changed and more closely approximate truth. Humanity has progressed from animism, to paganism, to polytheism, to monotheism, from supernatural theism, to ID'iot creationism, to reinventions of gods who are little more than paper shufflers. We have evolved our conception of existence from a universe of 3 stories (heaven, earth and hell) to a flat earth, to a round earth at the center of the universe, to a small planet circling an ordinary star at a point in space in an ordinary galaxy within an immense universe. Our timelines have expanded from a 6,000 year old earth, to an earth 4-5 billion years old within a universe of 14 billion years with mass extinctions, and human history just a brief moment in all that history. All of the changes in our understanding and conception of the nature of the universe have dictated a change in our conception of the various gods that have been invented to explain the natural world we didn't understand. Fear of the unknown and the invention of gods, demons and supernatural entities in various forms is a constant feature of human history, culture and society as a means to placate our fears. I think it is unlikely that religions, gods and notions of supernatural entities will cease to exist but our history has shown, traditional explanations and concepts of gods and religions are in conflict with our knowledge of the nature of reality.

Again, thank you for confirming my point.

Forum List

Back