Kayaking/Kayak fishing

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
Any kayakers here? Not an open ocean or white water kayaker year. I just like toodling on the Trinity River or in a lake and occasionally tossing in a fishing line.

4jul10kayakingtrinityri.jpg

Looks like fun.

Ive been about 3 miles offshore in an ocean kayak, but never ran any rivers.

Good luck & have fun.

I just went Kayaking on the Bay side of the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday. Loved it, we paddled through a manatee area, didn't see any but it was lovely!

Do it here on lakes, since Indy is landlocked. I love to canoe too.

I used to kayak in the bay, but haven't in a very long time. I miss it.

I just went Kayaking on the Bay side of the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday. Loved it, we paddled through a manatee area, didn't see any but it was lovely!

Great! Was that in Tampa?

I like it because it's cheap fun. If I had a boat, there is insurance, registration, fuel and maintenance. If it just sat in the garage, I'd feel guilty at the expense. With kayaks (mine are used and less than $300 each), the cost is only in buying the boat. It's nice to throw them on a trailer and go anywhere (no ramp needed) anytime I feel like it....or not. :)

What kind of bait do you use to fish for Kayaks?
It depends on the fishing; lures for Bass and Crappie, stink bait for Catfish. Same as shore or any other kind of fishing. The nice thing about kayaks is they are light enough to carry and toss in the water anywhere and allow the option of reaching areas not accessible by shore fishermen or bigger boats. I've been up creeks (with a paddle!) that were only 3 feet wide and a couple inches deep. Not good for fishing, but it shows the versatility of a kayak.

My kayak trailer I built in welding class from an old garbage trailer. The uprights are salvaged railings from the community college. Total cost, about $250 in parts and paint.

trailerready002.jpg

We were about an hour south of Tampa in Long Boat Key. Took 3 teens and 2 adults Kayaking, they all enjoyed it very much! I want to do more here, and would like to own one soon, like you said, it's a great inexpensive investment that pays off in hours of great fun! And easy to travel with to get to any body of water you want!

Great! Was that in Tampa?

I like it because it's cheap fun. If I had a boat, there is insurance, registration, fuel and maintenance. If it just sat in the garage, I'd feel guilty at the expense. With kayaks (mine are used and less than $300 each), the cost is only in buying the boat. It's nice to throw them on a trailer and go anywhere (no ramp needed) anytime I feel like it....or not. :)

What kind of bait do you use to fish for Kayaks?
It depends on the fishing; lures for Bass and Crappie, stink bait for Catfish. Same as shore or any other kind of fishing. The nice thing about kayaks is they are light enough to carry and toss in the water anywhere and allow the option of reaching areas not accessible by shore fishermen or bigger boats. I've been up creeks (with a paddle!) that were only 3 feet wide and a couple inches deep. Not good for fishing, but it shows the versatility of a kayak.

My kayak trailer I built in welding class from an old garbage trailer. The uprights are salvaged railings from the community college. Total cost, about $250 in parts and paint.

trailerready002.jpg

What did you use to paint your trailer? It looks great.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a trailer today...just received the new fenders from the Postman.

What did you use to paint your trailer? It looks great.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a trailer today...just received the new fenders from the Postman.

Air compressor, $15 spray gun from China via Harbor Freight and Rustoleum. I used the heavy duty primer for a first coat and "sunrise"(?) red for the second. I've painted a few projects using this setup. It's not showroom quality, but it's decent looking and, more importantly, durable.

What is your trailer project?

My current project is turning an old 19-foot steel boat trailer into a utility trailer although I'm entertaining the idea of making a camping/kayak trailer using a steel frame of 2 inch angle iron and 4X8 foot sheets of plywood for the top, bottom and two long sides.

Last edited:
Trailer I'm working on

Oldtrailer.jpg

This was the previous owners idea of an adequate replacement fender

Oldtrailerfender.jpg

^ see thant angle iron? Welded everywhere.​

And whoever originally built the trailer just left the crossbeams of whatever it use to be:

Oldtrailergrinding.jpg

Got the new fenders...need to cut off the other fender and fabricate some brackets, sand and paint.

Newfenders.jpg

I bought a cup gun from harbor freight the other day...but I've never used one before.

Did you have prior experience before you shot that trailer?

Good project, Missourian. Are you rebuilding it to carry the boat in the background?

My current project is turning an old 19-foot steel boat trailer into a utility trailer although I'm entertaining the idea of making a camping/kayak trailer using a steel frame of 2 inch angle iron and 4X8 foot sheets of plywood for the top, bottom and two long sides.

Sweet project...I've often considered transforming my 16 ft utility into a camper/ATV/canoe trailer.

Last edited:
I bought a cup gun from harbor freight the other day...but I've never used one before.

Not a bit! At least not with a compressor and gun, just spray cans, so I knew to keep it light and moving. After that it was just follow the directions then trial and error. Setting it up on saw horses allowed me to shoot a bit of the bottom before doing the top. This sped things up a bit since having patience to dry is a must and time consuming.

Good project, Missourian. Are you rebuilding it to carry the boat in the background?

Yes...it needs some TLC and a coat of paint too.

I have some spray Aircraft Remover...going to see if it will take the old paint off the boat this afternoon.

Ya need to build a tumbleweed home, then when you go kayaking, you can just take a nap afterwards, then clean the fish, then cook it.

Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

He builds his on old trailer frames...like for a car or truck trailer.

Not a bit! At least not with a compressor and gun, just spray cans, so I knew to keep it light and moving. After that it was just follow the directions then trial and error. Setting it up on saw horses allowed me to shoot a bit of the bottom before doing the top. This sped things up a bit since having patience to dry is a must and time consuming.

Good deal...that gives me hope. If mine turns out looking half as good as yours, I'll be happy. :thup:

Yes...it needs some TLC and a coat of paint too.

I have some spray Aircraft Remover...going to see if it will take the old paint off the boat this afternoon.

That might do it, but a good 4.5 inch angle grinder is a good tool. Fit it with a good wire brush and it will take the paint and rust down to the metal or at least knock off the big chunks depending how long you want to spend on it.

As you know, "prep" takes a lot longer than painting or welding.

Good deal...that gives me hope. If mine turns out looking half as good as yours, I'll be happy. :thup:
Thanks. Although I was happy with how it turned out, part of the good looks is attributable to being over 10 feet away. :)

To make it easier, I disassembled it, dropping the wheels and axle to make the frame light enough to pick up and move around to ease painting top and bottom.

Forum List

Back