Kayaking/Kayak fishing

Good project, Missourian. Are you rebuilding it to carry the boat in the background?

Yes...it needs some TLC and a coat of paint too.

I have some spray Aircraft Remover...going to see if it will take the old paint off the boat this afternoon.

That might do it, but a good 4.5 inch angle grinder is a good tool. Fit it with a good wire brush and it will take the paint and rust down to the metal or at least knock off the big chunks depending how long you want to spend on it.

As you know, "prep" takes a lot longer than painting or welding.

Ain't that the truth.

But, if you have an all metal project with absolutely no rubber or plastic whatsoever, the brush on Aircraft Remover is amazing.

I'm trying the spray today, but if it doesn't work, I'll get some brush on and take some before and after pictures...the paint shrivels up and falls off. Saves hours of prep time.

I'm revved up to get back too it now...thanks for the info and advice.

Last edited:
I have two kayaks

1. 2 person Old Towne Loon 16 foot that I use for touring and kayak camping

2. 12 foot Wilderness Systems tarpon sit on top for fishing and taking in the surf

Trailex_SUT-_200-S_Trailer_with_Old_Town_Loon_Kayak.jpg

WS%2BTarpon%2B14%2BJuly%2B8th%2B2008%2B(7).JPG

Last edited:
Sweet looking kayaks. My second kayak is a two-seater sit-upon, but not a fishing one and not nearly as nice as yours. No storage on it except a small open area behind the rear seat.

take some before and after pictures...the paint shrivels up and falls off. Saves hours of prep time.

No problem and looking forward to the pics.

I've never used the Aircraft Remover. What kind of respirator do you use?

take some before and after pictures...the paint shrivels up and falls off. Saves hours of prep time.

No problem and looking forward to the pics.

I've never used the Aircraft Remover. What kind of respirator do you use?

Just a cheap 3M three layer mask from Wal-mart...$5.

Got sidetracked on my project, but I'm almost done now...

Started here...

Oldtrailer.jpg

Stripped 'er down...

IMAG0005-1-1.jpg

And primered 'er up...

IMAG0007-1.jpg

Tomorrow, weather permitting...applying the paint. :eusa_pray:

Last edited:
Our future "kayak" - it'll probably take both of us to get around in it, too. :lmao:

Attachments

• $pelican-paddle-boat-600_4656412.jpg
    $pelican-paddle-boat-600_4656412.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 108
Major Painting is complete: :woohoo:

IMAG0008-1.jpg

Using the cup gun was not as difficult as I had imagined, once I got the hang of it.

Thanks for the advice DW. :thup:

Any kayakers here? Not an open ocean or white water kayaker year. I just like toodling on the Trinity River or in a lake and occasionally tossing in a fishing line.

4jul10kayakingtrinityri.jpg

I have caught many fish on my sea kayak. A large silver was the scariest. He jumped all over the place. Plus, the silvers were jumping, I had 2 of them hit me. it hurts!!!!

Any kayakers here? Not an open ocean or white water kayaker year. I just like toodling on the Trinity River or in a lake and occasionally tossing in a fishing line.

I have caught many fish on my sea kayak. A large silver was the scariest. He jumped all over the place. Plus, the silvers were jumping, I had 2 of them hit me. it hurts!!!!

Silver? As in salmon? That's a big fish on a kayak!

yup, and it was a large one too! probably my scariest catch on my kayak ever. next spring we're gonna try for halibut. they come in close to shore in the spring, and there is a cult of kayakers who go after them. I will go with my wife, for literally her support, 2 kayaks podding are nicely stable!

yup, and it was a large one too! probably my scariest catch on my kayak ever. next spring we're gonna try for halibut. they come in close to shore in the spring, and there is a cult of kayakers who go after them. I will go with my wife, for literally her support, 2 kayaks podding are nicely stable!

Sounds like a lot of fun, Kevin. Hope you have a great time.

Forum List

Back