Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse

But even then, I could see plenty of opportunity for partisan mischief.
Which is why non-partisan commissions should draw the maps. It's already happening in a few states. The issue being most of those are blue states, giving an advantage to red states where they are still cheating.

As soon as the ruling was announced my wife and I contributed to a fund that pays for women who can't afford it to travel outside their state to get abortion services. I encourage anyone of like mind to do the same.
Yes, it's a temporary solution that can save lives until the return to democratic principles.

But it's not a replacement for rights and freedoms!

Is the next move going to be making it a criminal offense for a citizen to give advice to a woman on the abortion option?

Can it get anymore obvious that religious dogma has taken control of the totally corrupt Scotus mind and no rights or freedoms are safe for possibly years to come?

I just don't care really. Some states want gerrymandering, others don't. But unlike the textual literalists, who are ignoring they are dealing with documents created before there were political parties, I don't see what is constitutionally offensive about having citizens themselves, or even legislatures, differing power to some scheme they consider "more fair." If voters decide they don't like it, they can always vote again.

But the textual literalists tend to read documents to reach the result they want ... just like other Justices have done. But the Federalist Society is bought and paid for by corporate interests.
The Federalist Society receives significant funding from libertarian industrialists, including the Koch brothers, Richard Mellon Scaife’s foundation and the Mercer family.

I don't have any gripe with leaving power at the state rather then federal level. I don't even have a constitutional gripe with Dobbs and letting states decide how abortion is regulated, and I actually think the const is pretty much silent on a woman's right to physical autonomy. I think poor women will suffer, but .... maybe citizens should do something about that. I certainly don't have a gripe with to striking down NYC's concealed carry law ... so long as citizens have a right to demand some rational means to regulate concealed carry.

But if people decide they want a state commission to do districting, or they want some regulation of carrying firearms, or even that they want congress to find a way to make health insurance more affordable .... it doesn't harm me beyond possibly making me pay some tax. But the more power you take away from people to directly vote on how they want their govt to function ... the more power you give to folks like the Kochs or Mellon-Scafide family, who have very specific agendas to personally benefit themselves.
From the article......

Over the past three decades, the Federalist Society has ascended from modest origins to become one of the most influential legal organizations in American history, with intellectual reach and political clout that no other legal group can match. As a presidential candidate in 2016, Trump effectively outsourced his Supreme Court picks to Federalist Executive Vice President Leonard Leo, and the group has enjoyed a near-lockdown on new appointments to the federal bench under Trump, most notably on the Supreme Court, where Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch each had long-standing Federalist ties prior to their nominations.

So where’s the response from the left?

It's as though the author wants the Left to assuage his guilt over SC nominees being farmed out to a radical right wing legal organization.

Yes, it's a temporary solution that can save lives until the return to democratic principles.

But it's not a replacement for rights and freedoms!

Is the next move going to be making it a criminal offense for a citizen to give advice to a woman on the abortion option?

Can it get anymore obvious that religious dogma has taken control of the totally corrupt Scotus mind and no rights or freedoms are safe for possibly years to come?
One thing that's coming to states where abortion has been outlawed is a knock on the door of any woman who has a miscarriage. To see if it happened naturally or was induced. Talk about about an invasion of privacy by the State.

A new Supreme Court case is the biggest threat to US democracy since January 6​

The Supreme Court’s announcement on Thursday that it will hear Moore v. Harper, a case that could concentrate an unprecedented amount of power in gerrymandered state legislatures, should alarm anyone who cares about democracy.

The case is perhaps the gravest threat to American democracy since the January 6 attack. It seeks to reinstate gerrymandered congressional maps that were struck down by North Carolina’s highest court because they “subordinated traditional neutral redistricting criteria in favor of extreme partisan advantage” for the Republican Party.

The plaintiffs argue that the state supreme court didn’t have the authority to strike down these maps, and rest their claim on legal arguments that would fundamentally alter how congressional and presidential elections are conducted.

Moore involves the “independent state legislature doctrine,” a theory that the Supreme Court has rejected many times over the course of more than a century — but that started to gain steam after Republican appointees gained a supermajority on the Supreme Court at the end of the Trump administration.

Given the Court's propensity for making ideological rather than legally based rulings, this one seems like a foregone conclusion. It will empower Repubs to structure districts to ensure they remain in power even when they receive a minority of votes.

Today, we answer this question: does our state constitution recognize that the people of this state have the power to choose those who govern us, by giving each of us an equally powerful voice through our vote? Or does our constitution give to members of the General Assembly, as they argue here, unlimited power to draw electoral maps that keep themselves and our members of Congress in office as long as they want, regardless of the will of the people, by making some votes more powerful than others? We hold that our constitution’s Declaration of Rights guarantees the equal power of each person’s voice in our government through voting in elections that matter.

It is naked power grabs like this that cause me to encourage Dems to fight fire with fire. Manchin's naivete comes to mind. Holding to the silly notion there are still Repubs of good will, willing to compromise for the greater good. If Trump's presidency and McConnell's duplicity in stealing two SC seats teaches us anything it's we have jettisoned the era of tradition, protocol, mutual respect, and precedent. Nowadays, it's all about obtaining power by any means available with no regard for the consequences. And boy, the Repubs are good at it.
The biggest threat to democracy is not following the Constitution literally.

One thing that's coming to states where abortion has been outlawed is a knock on the door of any woman who has a miscarriage. To see if it happened naturally or was induced. Talk about about an invasion of privacy by the State.
Yet Americans biased toward Trump and the extreme right, persist on claiming that America is still free.
Freefall toward fascism is much more like it!

Expect an unannounced visit from the Christian stormtroopers at 2 a.m. in the morning.

You must mean Progressives in the sense of them being Democratic party supporters? in the context of what is happening in America, I would suggest that they are less so. But reality says that the R/D divide isn't going to play a part in America's acceptance of fascism.
The reason: Trump found the hearts of the American working class by offering them relief and a piece of the American pie. And that relief needed to be routed through fascism. Racism and his border wall for just two examples.

And I'll repeat the question on it actually happening?

If so then you're nailing it on the ideals of fascism.

Don't let the question go! Many Americans on this board are starting to realize how fascist ideals are taking over and the charges of fascism can no longer be denied.

You guys are using the FBI as your Waffen SS, but the parents speaking at local school boards are Fascist....Bizzarroland!

As soon as the ruling was announced my wife and I contributed to a fund that pays for women who can't afford it to travel outside their state to get abortion services. I encourage anyone of like mind to do the same.
I take it you didn't contribute like amounts to help women who want to give birth to their babies?

Which is why non-partisan commissions should draw the maps. It's already happening in a few states. The issue being most of those are blue states, giving an advantage to red states where they are still cheating.
And the problem still stands, how are you going to create and maintain a non-partisan committee?

Dems still don't get it. The fight is on for America's future and our intent is clear, destroy the Democratic party. Expose their lies, deceit and corruption.

Dems still don't get it. The fight is on for America's future and our intent is clear, destroy the Democratic party. Expose their lies, deceit and corruption.
I'm proud of you for acknowledging your autocratic impulses.

I take it you didn't contribute like amounts to help women who want to give birth to their babies?
There are all manner of charities for that, secular and nonsecular.

Forum List

Back