Judge Strikes Down Citizenship Question in 2020 Census

Should the census be allowed to ask this question

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Hundreds of thousands — if not millions — of people will go uncounted in the census if the citizenship question is included," U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman said in a 277-page opinion.

"In arriving at his decision as he did, Secretary Ross violated the law," Furman said, adding that Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross -- whose department oversees the census -- "violated the public trust" in doing so with respect to the census.

The Administrative Procedures Act requires an agency to "consider all important aspects of a problem," study relevant evidence and come to a conclusion supported by it, comply with procedures and laws and explain the facts and reasons for the decision, Furman said. Ross’s decision "fell short on all these fronts," the judge said.

It was removed in the first place because it reduces accuracy which is the whole point of the census

I see why it would be on there. i also see why it shouldnt be on there. I dont give a shit either way
I think some of the arguments against it are bogus though.

A Federal Judge has ordered the Commerce Dept to not have the question on the Census.

Judge Orders Trump Administration To Remove 2020 Census Citizenship Question

Furman's decision marks a significant milestone in a legal battle that began shortly after the Trump administration announced last year that the 2020 census would include a controversial question about U.S. citizenship status. The added question was: "Is this person a citizen of the United States?" All U.S. households have not been asked such a question on the census since 1950.

I'm all for doubling or quadrupling the legal immigration quota. Heck, let all illegals who are here have an easy path to citizenship if they can work and stay out of jail for a decade.

Still, what's the real harm in asking for counting purposes? Are we going to find out there are more illegals near the border or something and target enforcement into certain census tracks? Are people going to answer honestly?
The question was removed in the 1st place because it lowered the accuracy of the count, which damaged the census.

A Federal Judge has ordered the Commerce Dept to not have the question on the Census.

Furman's decision marks a significant milestone in a legal battle that began shortly after the Trump administration announced last year that the 2020 census would include a controversial question about U.S. citizenship status. The added question was: "Is this person a citizen of the United States?" All U.S. households have not been asked such a question on the census since 1950.
Why do the Democrats want to hide their illegal alien voter base?

TRUTH: The Corrupt Democratic Party benefits from illegal immigration because it gives them more House seats.
TRUTH: The Democrats regard Anglo Voters as its opposition.

Clearly, to allow this question to be asked, will have two negative effects.
  1. Most households with a non citizen will not fill out and send in the census;
  2. It puts a target on the back for ICE, and they can make a case for a warrant to detain the named person.
In terms of #1, it will have an effect on revenue sharing, in terms of #2 it will allow ICE to establish dragnets (consider the use of DNA, not used used in terms of this tread) to detain thousands of law abiding non citizens and separate a parent from their children.

Well, if this is what the winners get:

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 7.57.21 AM.png

I’ll take losing.

The Alabama players ate better than the Clemson players.

WinterBorn

Does that mean it is an illegal question when purchasing a firearm too?

I'm all for doubling or quadrupling the legal immigration quota. Heck, let all illegals who are here have an easy path to citizenship if they can work and stay out of jail for a decade.

Still, what's the real harm in asking for counting purposes? Are we going to find out there are more illegals near the border or something and target enforcement into certain census tracks? Are people going to answer honestly?

As I recall, the Census is a binding document and you can get into trouble for lying on it. It carries with it, the force of law. In short, you’re testifying.

Wouldn’t asking that question be a violation of the 5th Amendment?
Only for illegal aliens.

Do you think they are filling out the census anyway? I don’t.

US District Judge Jesse Furman said in a 277 page opinion "In arriving at his decision as he did, Secretary Ross violated the law," Furman said, adding that Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross -- whose department oversees the census -- "violated the public trust" in doing so with respect to the census."

The Administrative Procedures Act requires an agency to "consider all important aspects of a problem," study relevant evidence and come to a conclusion supported by it, comply with procedures and laws and explain the facts and reasons for the decision, Furman said. Ross’s decision "fell short on all these fronts," the judge said. (Courtesy of Valerie from another thread.)

Pretty much explains my no vote.

Does that mean it is an illegal question when purchasing a firearm too?

Fair question. I don’t think you can equate the two however.

I don't see the problem with the questions since at checkpoints in I-10 out of El Paso, the 405 north of San Diego, et al, they stop you and ask if you're a US citizen. Secondly, criminals like illegal aliens will just lie and say they are Americans

-Geaux

What it means to even be an American is being watered down and devalued.
Citizenship is racist.

The judge says the question is constitutional, but says he doesn't like the way its been processed?

This is what we have come to? Judges who decide the process?

Mark

Forum List

Back