John Lewis dead

look what i found!

EewE19dXYAAQBwG

John Lewis lent an open hand, instead of a clenched fist

he never grew weary of doing good, my friends

John Lewis is the conscience of America. Donald Trump doesn’t have the moral stature to kiss John Lewis’s feet

though John Lewis once challenged civil rights hero Julian Bond to take a drug test in a dem primary

just wanted to throw that in the mix!

The baton has now been passed to each of us...We have gathered in our streets to demand change. And now we must pass on the gift John Lewis sacrificed to give us. We must register, and we must vote

from politico:

in an interview with NBC’s Chuck Todd on “Meet the Press,” Lewis said he didn’t see Trump “as a legitimate president” because Russia helped him get elected.

“It really backfired on him because he’s really, you know, it’s what he said is very bad in terms of a democracy,” Trump said. “You run. You win. They even gave me that, right? They gave the Man of the Year stuff in Time. And then he says, ‘Oh, it’s not legitimate.’ That’s really against a democracy, like or not like.”

Despite that, the president-elect was complimentary of the civil rights icon. “I didn’t know him personally, but I always liked him,” Trump said then of the Georgia Democrat. “I thought he was a good guy, a good icon.”

But when Lewis died last month, after a battle with pancreatic cancer, Trump declined to visit the Capitol to pay his respects, and he was the only living U.S. president not represented at Lewis’ funeral in Atlanta, where former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton delivered eulogies. Former President Jimmy Carter didn’t attend but sent his condolences in a brief letter that was read aloud during the service.

In an interview with Axios’ Jonathan Swan published this month, Trump repeatedly highlighted that Lewis chose not to attend his inauguration in 2017. The president said he didn’t know how history would remember Lewis and that he couldn’t “say one way or the other” whether he personally found Lewis impressive.

“I find a lot of people impressive,” Trump said. “I find many people not impressive.”

Forum List

Back