Jimmy Carter 'humiliated' on recent China visit

Carter comes across as a humanitarian, which is not a bad thing.

---

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter took to The Washington Post on Friday to make known his concerns about the United States' economic sanctions on countries such as North Korea.

"In my visits to targeted countries, I have seen how this strategy can be cruel to innocent people who know nothing about international disputes and are already suffering under dictatorial leaders," Carter writes. "The primary objective of dictators is to stay in office, and we help them achieve this goal by punishing their already suffering subjects and letting them claim to be saviors."

Carter describes his visits both to Cuba and North Korea, but he says the situation in North Korea is "more tragic" because unlike Cuba, the people of North Korea do not receive remittances from friends or relatives who have journeyed to the U.S., nor do they have access to the same levels of education, healthcare, or food sources.

"As in Cuba, the political elite in North Korea do not suffer," Carter writes. "The leaders' all-pervasive propaganda places the blame for deprivation on the United States, not themselves."

Jimmy Carter critiques U.S. economic sanctions I have seen how this strategy can be cruel to innocent people - The Week

Jimmy Carter is about as relevant as his 18% prime lending rate when he failed to win his second term in 1980.

Carter is among one of the democrats who have helped China great deal. So I am just puzzled why they had to give him chiru.

Jimmy Carter is about as relevant as his 18% prime lending rate when he failed to win his second term in 1980.

Carter is among one of the democrats who have helped China great deal. So I am just puzzled why they had to give him chiru.
Nobody respects a weakling.

I am not sure if Jimmy Carter is a weakling. Also I am not sure if everyone does not respect weaklings. However, it is clear that China is not showing gratitude towards Jimmy Carter. I hope this does not extend to other democrats who have been a great friend of China.

China is becoming more aggressive and territorial, so I don't think it was meant as an affront to only him - but to all visiting US politicians. Because we don't let China get all its own way in the South China Sea, they are going to view America more and more negatively as the years go on.

China is becoming more aggressive and territorial, so I don't think it was meant as an affront to only him - but to all visiting US politicians. Because we don't let China get all its own way in the South China Sea, they are going to view America more and more negatively as the years go on.

I tend to agree with you.

Unbelievable.

A certain level of intelligence is required for a person to feel humiliated.

Carter might have had that once.....

A long, long time ago........

I do not think the insult was aimed at Carter. It was aimed at the U.S. You have to look at this incident in the light of following:

a) Russia and China are bypassing dollar as trading currency
b) Russia and China are strengthening their defense ties
c) Russia and China are building infrastructure to facilitate oil trade

It is probably because he is 90. How good could his speeches and comments be at that age?

They at least anticipated it that way.

It is probably because he is 90. How good could his speeches and comments be at that age?

They at least anticipated it that way.

For a good number of people brain stops functioning by the time they hit mid 80s. I am amazed that he is undertaking somewhat official foreign trips at the age of 90.

Forum List

Back