Jewish Arrival to New Amsterdam 1654

surada

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2021
These people were called Sugar Jews.. This is well documented in the archives of Brazil and Amsterdam Holland.. that includes property records, ship's names and cargo. Marriages births etc.

When they fled north to New Amsterdam they took some of their slaves with them

RECIFE, city in northeast Brazil, capital of the state of Pernambuco; population: 1,486,869 (2004); Jewish population estimated at 1,300.
Colonial Period

When Recife became a prosperous center for sugar production in the 16th and 17th centuries, Portuguese New Christians were already living in the city and its environs and in many regions of the Brazilian Nordeste (North East). They worked mainly in sugar production and commerce. The significant number of New Christians in Recife took part in a variety of activities, and some bound themselves through intermarriage to prestigious Old Christian families.

The Inquisition dispatched an official inspector (visitator) and an inquisitional commission was established in 1593–1595 in Olinda, the port of Recife. New Christians were tried and arrested; some were taken to Lisbon and handed over to the inquisitional tribunal. After the inspector had left, surveillance of New Christians was continued by the bishop of Brazil, with the assistance of the local clergy. Thus the New Christian Diego Fernandez, husband of Branca Dias, was accused by the Inquisition of being a "Judaizer" and of keeping an "esnorga," a secret place to pray.

Two New Christian writers lived in Recife and stood out in the colonial period with works that reveal elements of Jewish expression: Bento Teixeira, author of Prosopopéia – one of the most important Portuguese-Brazilian colonial poems – published in Lisbon on 1601, and Ambrósio Fernandes Brandão, author of Diálogos das Grandezas do Brasil, in 1618.

Dutch Period
The first organized Jewish community in Brazil was established in Recife during the period of Dutch colonial occupation (1630–1654) that brought Jews among other Dutch colonists and permitted religious freedom. The West India Company came to Brazil attracted by the sugar plantations and more than 120 engenhos (sugar mills) in Pernambuco.

In 1636–1640 the Dutch Jews founded the first Brazilian synagogue in Recife, the first on American soil: Kahal Kadosh Ẓur Israel. Later they founded the synagogue Kahal Kadosh Magen Abraham in Maurícia. Both were unified in 1648, with the signatures of 172 members both from Recife and Maurícia.

The Jewish community was very well organized along the same lines as the mother community in Amsterdam. Ẓur Israel maintained a synagogue, the religious schools Talmud Torah and Eẓ Ḥayim, and a cemetery. In Recife there was a "Rua dos Judeus" (Jodenstraat or Jewish street) in 1636.

continued

In 1642 Rabbi Isaac Aboab da Fonseca arrived from Holland, accompanied by the ḥakham Moses Rafael de Aguilar.

Jews from Recife addressed an inquiry regarding the proper season to recite the prayers for rain to Rabbi Ḥayyim Shabbetai in Salonika, the earliest American contribution to rabbinic responsa literature. Despite official tolerance, however, the Jews were subjects of some hostility at the hands of Calvinists.

The estimates of the Jewish population at Recife vary greatly. According to Arnold Wiznitzer, it reached 1,450 members in 1645. Egon and Frieda Wolff's research indicated around 350 Jews.

By 1639 Dutch Brazil had a flourishing sugar industry with more than 120 sugar cane mills, six of which were owned by Jews. Jews also had an important role in commerce, tax farming, and finances. Jews were also engaged in the slave trade, worked in agriculture, in the Dutch militia and as artisans and physicians.

The contacts with the local population – including many New Christians – was permanent, due to the economic activities. During Dutch domination in the Nordeste, New Christians came closer to Judaism.

As early as 1642 the Portuguese began preparations for the liberation of northeastern Brazil. In 1645 they began a war that lasted nine years. Jews joined the Dutch ranks, and some were killed in action.

Famine had set in and conditions were desperate when, on June 26, 1649, two ships arrived from Holland with food. On that occasion, Rabbi Isaac Aboab wrote the first Hebrew poem in the Americas, "Zekher Asiti le-Nifle'ot El" ("I Have Set a Memorial to God's Miracles").

It was stipulated in the capitulation protocol of Jan. 26, 1654, that all Jews, like the Dutch, were to leave Brazil within three months and had the right to liquidate their assets and to take all their movable property with them. The majority left for Amsterdam, but some sailed to the Caribbean Islands (Curação, Barbados, and so on). Wiznitzer maintained that a group of 23 Brazilian Jews arrived in New Amsterdam (old name of New York), then under Dutch rule, on the Saint Catherine at the beginning of September 1654 and that they were the founding fathers of the first Jewish community in New York.

continued

This history is excellent and it parallels my family history back to 1609.

The organization kind of sucks, but I can't think of anything better than how they did it, given the subject and the details; they skip back and forth between entire decades on some topics, and can get confusing to keep track.

The organization kind of sucks, but I can't think of anything better than how they did it, given the subject and the details; they skip back and forth between entire decades on some topics, and can get confusing to keep track.

Its all well documented in archives of Recife, NYC and Amsterdam. Maybe its not confusing to me because I' very familiar with the story.

Its all well documented in archives of Recife, NYC and Amsterdam. Maybe its not confusing to me because I' very familiar with the story.

Well, it has extensive indexes, for both names, places, and subjects, and footnotes so that is very helpful.

These people were called Sugar Jews.. This is well documented in the archives of Brazil and Amsterdam Holland.. that includes property records, ship's names and cargo. Marriages births etc.

When they fled north to New Amsterdam they took some of their slaves with them

One moment. The Netherlands had left the Holy empire of German (="dutch") nation after the end of the 80 years war (1568-1648) and the 30 years war (1618-1648). Then the Netherlands started to be an own independent colonial power. Why fled Jews on what reason after this wars from the Netherlands to ... ¿What now? ... Nieuw Nederland (today USA) or Brazil?

Last edited:
One moment. The Netherlands had left the Holy empire of German (="dutch") nation after the end of the 80 years war (1568-1648) and the 30 years war (1618-1648). Then the Netherlands started to be an own independent colonial power. Why fled Jews on what reason after this wars from the Netherlands ???

They hated the English.

They hated the English.

¿What? ...

I'm a little confused now. ... this 23 Jews came from Brazil to New Amsterdam (New York), isn't it? The reason seemed to be a war in Brazil, Recife, which ended in 1654, isn't it? It is said the most Jews in Recife (1630 people) were killed, because the Portugese had conquered Recife. But who owned Recife before? Brazil was always Portugese, wasn't it? ... Okay got it ... Up to 1654 it had been a dutch colony - and because of the independence of the Netherlands the Portugese had conquered Recife ... . I guess slowly I understand what had happend there. This Ashkenazim (German Jews) came from Brazil to Nieuw Nederland.

And later the English had conquered this area. That's what you perhaps call "they hate the English". So in NY were Ashkenzim Jews when NY had been NA. But when in Brazil had been Jews in a lost colony from the Netherlands - then I guess also in Nieuw Amsterdam had been Jews. So perhaps Jews had been before 1654 in NY too. Who knows? But latest in 1654 for sure Jews were there.

Last edited:
¿What? ...

I'm a little confused now. ... this 23 Jews came from Brazil to New Amsterdam (New York), isn't it? The reason seemed to be a war in Brazil, Recife, which ended in 1654, isn't it? It is aoid thenslot Jews in Recife weer killed because the Portugese had copqu8erd Recife. But who owned Recoife before? Brazil was always Portugese, wasn't it?

Portugal and Amsterdam were together.

Portugal and Amsterdam were together.

The Netherlands had been a part of the Holy Roman empire of German [=united] nation. "Dutch"="Deutsch" is the German word for German. In the 80 years war the people of the Netherlands fought against "Spain" what means they fought against the house Habsburg. They wan the 80 years war in 1648 and this had been the start of the independent country Netherlands as an own colonial power, which had nothing to do with Portugal.

On a reason which I don't know in the moment South-America had a Portugese part and a Spanish part. Brazil was Portugese - the rest of South America was Spanish. So and now existed a problem. Recife seemed to be in Brazil - but it had been founded from "Spain" (= the house Habsburg) - nevertheless it had been the same time a colony of the Netherlands (=dutch people) and the Netherlands became independent in 1648 (= before they had also belonged to the house Habsburg, were "Spain"). So I think Portugal knew that the new founded independent Netherlands had not been able to defend this colony. And I think in this colony had not been Sephardim (=Spanish Jews) but Ashkenazim (=German=Dutch Jews). Some of them were able to flee to the Nieuw Nederlands - the area around New Amsterdam(=today New York). And I guess the English had attacked this colony of the Netherlands later on the same reason. Without Spain the Dutch had not been able to defend this colony. A very dramatic but also a very interesting history around the birth of New York. For the 23 Jews - the survivors of the 1630 Jews of Recife - this all had been for sure very traumatic.

Last edited:
The Netherlands had been a part of the Holy Roman empire of German [=united] nation. "Dutch"="Deutsch" is the German word for German. In the 80 years war the people of the Netherlands fought against "Spain" what means they fought against the house Habsburg. They wan the 80 years war in 1648 and this had been the start of the independent country Netherlands as an own colonial power, which had nothing to do with Portugal.

On a reason which I don't know in the moment South-America had a Portugese part and a Spanish part. Brazil was Portugese - the rest of South America was Spanish. So and now existed a problem. Recife seemed to be in Brazil - but it had been founded from "Spain" (= the house Habsburg) - nevertheless it had been the same time a colony of the Netherlands (=dutch people) and the Netherlands became independent in 1648 (= before they had also belonged to the house Habsburg, were "Spain"). So I think Portugal knew that the new founded independent Netherlands had not been able to defend this colony. And I think in this colony had not been Sephardim (=Spanish Jews) but Ashkenazim (=German=Dutch Jews). Some of them were able to flee to the Nieuw Nederlands - the area around New Amsterdam(=today New York). And I guess the English had attacked this colony of the Netherlands later on the same reason. Without Spain the Dutch had not been able to defend this colony. A very dramatic but also a very interesting history around the birth of New York. For the 23 Jews - the survivors of the 1630 Jews of Recife - this all had been for sure very traumatic.

Look up Prince Maurice of Nassau. Maybe that will fill in the blanks.

The Sugar Jews were from Spain and Portugal. They went to Amsterdam after they were expelled from Spain and Portugal.

The Sugar Jews were from Spain and Portugal. They went to Amsterdam after they were expelled from Spain and Portugal.

The Spanish Jews - the Sephardim - which had to leave Spain in 1492 got a new home in the Osman empire.

Moritz von Oranien was a typical German in this time of history. He fought - in the end very successful, what he himself never was able to find out - for the freedom of the Netherlands.

Some did, but many went to Amsterdam.

Never heard about and it makes not any sense, because in this time of history the Spanish Jews had to leave Spain - and the Netherlands had been part of Spain. ... But one moment ... Indeed: A little group of the Sephardim also came to the Netherlands. Astonishing. So it's not clear whether the Jews in Recife had been Sephardim or Ashkenazim.

A very famous Sephardim and very important philosopher in this time of history had been Bento de Espinoza = Baruch de Spinoza = Benedictus de Spinoza.

Never heard about and it makes not any sense, because in this time of history the Spanish Jews had to leave Spain - and the Netherlands was part of Spain. ... But one moment ... Indeed: A little group of the Sephardim also came to the Netherlands. Astonishing. So it's not clear whether the Jews in Recife had been Sephardim or Ashkenazim.

A very famous Sephardim and very important philosopher in this time of history had been Bento de Espinoza = Baruch de Spinoza = Benedictus de Spinoza.

Sephardic Jews in Amsterdam | My Jewish Learning
Amsterdam became a haven for Jewish refugees from the Inquisition. By Jane S. Gerber In 1492, Spain expelled its Jewish population. The sizable Jewish community was given three months to liquidate its property and leave.

Sephardic Jews in Amsterdam | My Jewish Learning
Amsterdam became a haven for Jewish refugees from the Inquisition.

"From the inquisiton" is very inaccurate in this context, because this sounds as if thsi hd benen an attack of Catholocs in Jews. It's better to use the expression "Spanish inquisition" to show the political dimension. The Portugese were Catholics and had helped the Jews of Spain. The inquisiton had been first of all a weapon against Prostestants - what was perhaps the main reason of the Netherlanders to be "subversive" and to help the Jews of Spain too.

By Jane S. Gerber In 1492, Spain expelled its Jewish population. The sizable Jewish community was given three months to liquidate its property and leave.

This article was very interesting. Nevertheless keeps a question: Why killed the Portugese the Jews of Recife - although they had helped in former times the Jews of Spain?

Sephardi settled in a lot of places, including the Papal States; ironically the Pope had to order the local Jews to take some 10,000 Jewish refugees in, since the local Jews didn't want to let them into their communities. France took a lot, the Turks took in a lot, the Dutch took in some, and others went to the Americas, not many but enough to be noteworthy here and there. A lot stayed in Spain.

Of some 11,000 cases tried by inquisitors in Spain from the late 15th century through the first half of the 16th, only some 1,200 or so were convicted and sentenced to death, and of those 683 were only burned in effigy, which meant they weren't actually burned, but either allowed to leave or had to move to another town or something. About 10% or so were 'conversos' thought to be secretly practicing their old religion and had lied under oath about converting, and this would include Muslims, not just Jews, and the rest were Protestants or some other types of 'heretics' or other.

It's also noteworthy how few 'witches' and other superstition driven deaths there were in the Catholic Spanish and Papal states; most of those were in the the northern kingdoms and eastern kingdoms.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back