Japan lands on the moon for first time in comeback attempt

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
The Japanese Empire is back! Watch out.

(Bloomberg) — Japan landed its first ever probe on the moon, in a drive to overcome a year of setbacks in space, but the status of the lander was not immediately clear.

Well, you have to cut them some slack.....They used to think crashing a plane into a US aircraft carrier to be the pinnacle of success.

5ig0uww2uhw11.jpg

Japanese Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero kamikaze moments before crashing into the U.S. aircraft carrier USS Lexington (CV-19) during Japanese attacks on Task Force 38.3 off of Leyte, 1330hrs, November 5, 1944​

Modern space exploration should be much easier now with today's technology.
The difficulties that they are having makes the 1969 Apollo mission look even more impressive.

Modern space exploration should be much easier now with today's technology.
The difficulties that they are having makes the 1969 Apollo mission look even more impressive.
You have more power in your laptop than they had when they first landed on the moon.

It was extremely impressive, AND they got them home. The brain power, dedication and patriotism was top notch then. Without the race from Russia, it doesn't happen.

(Bloomberg) — Japan landed its first ever probe on the moon, in a drive to overcome a year of setbacks in space, but the status of the lander was not immediately clear.
Probe, not a human being?

A Moon landing or lunar landing is the arrival of a spacecraft on the surface of the Moon. This includes both crewed and robotic missions. The first human-made object to touch the Moon was the Soviet Union's Luna 2, on 13 September 1959.

The United States is the only country to have successfully conducted crewed missions to the Moon, with the last departing the lunar surface in December 1972.

Good for them

We should not be the only ones exploring the universe

Agreed, and they aren't an enemy because we pounded the shit out of them and made them realize they lost the war.

Just like we did to the Germans, and what the Israelis need to do to the Gazans.

Probe, not a human being?

A Moon landing or lunar landing is the arrival of a spacecraft on the surface of the Moon. This includes both crewed and robotic missions. The first human-made object to touch the Moon was the Soviet Union's Luna 2, on 13 September 1959.

The United States is the only country to have successfully conducted crewed missions to the Moon, with the last departing the lunar surface in December 1972.

Personally, I support R2D2 missions over Buck Rodgers manned space missions.
The money you spend to sustain human life on these missions could support hundreds of unmanned missions.

With AI, these robots can do almost everything a man could do

Personally, I support R2D2 missions over Buck Rodgers manned space missions.
The money you spend to sustain human life on these missions could support hundreds of unmanned missions.

With AI, these robots can do almost everything a man could do
Agree. But lunar missions are not space missions. And fuck AI. It's only one tool.

We sent probes into the far reaches of our solar system, without AI. There exist arguments within the fields of exploration on going to Mars with human beings. Then there are the so-called space stations.

I tend to side with deGrasse Tyson on using resources for saving our planet, rather than seeking home bases out there, for future human existence.

There are good arguments and reasons to send man, and good arguments and reasons not to. For me it revolves around what 'we' are trying to accomplish and how best to get the public to support the funding.

Agree. But lunar missions are not space missions. And fuck AI. It's only one tool.

We sent probes into the far reaches of our solar system, without AI. There exist arguments within the fields of exploration on going to Mars with human beings. Then there are the so-called space stations.

I tend to side with deGrasse Tyson on using resources for saving our planet, rather than seeking home bases out there, for future human existence.

There are good arguments and reasons to send man, and good arguments and reasons not to. For me it revolves around what 'we' are trying to accomplish and how best to get the public to support the funding.

I don’t see any benefit from living on a planet that will not sustain us. Other than getting photo-ops of dancing around the moon or Mars, I don’t see many advantages.

Rovers used to rely on getting commands from mission control on Earth taking minutes or hours. With AI, a rover can make its own decisions within mission parameters.
A rover can collect data until it dies. You can’t do that with men

After so many decades since America not only landed on the moon, it landed men on the moon!

Why did America ever allow the technology it possessed 60 years ago to get lost? It was technology 60+ years ahead of its time!

And all because of a careless janitor cleaning up the floors didn't take care to not sweep all the computers into the dust bins too.

Will America ever get men back to the moon in our lifetimes?

I don’t see any benefit from living on a planet that will not sustain us. Other than getting photo-ops of dancing around the moon or Mars, I don’t see many advantages.

Rovers used to rely on getting commands from mission control on Earth taking minutes or hours. With AI, a rover can make its own decisions within mission parameters.
America's technology had surpassed Russia's or the Soviet Union's, right up until America lost everything to do with the moon landing.

While Russia wasted time constructing a space station and putting it into place circling the earth.

It's almost like the president's dog ate America's homework?

America's technology had surpassed Russia's or the Soviet Union's, right up until America lost everything to do with the moon landing.

While Russia wasted time constructing a space station and putting it into place circling the earth.

It's almost like the president's dog ate America's homework?
The Cold War drove the Apollo program.
Once we won, and drove around the moon, we lost interest and killed the program. We have not been back in 50 years.

The Soviets were actually the first to reach the moon

The Cold War drove the Apollo program.
Once we won, and drove around the moon, we lost interest and killed the program. We have not been back in 50 years.

The Soviets were actually the first to reach the moon
The point is, all the technology was lost. That's not a story that's pulled out of thin air!
The important part is that it has to be a story pulled out of somebody's ass.

America has to be pretending it can't do it again within a week if it wanted to.

Too risky now but not during the Cold war on account of the gain being worth the risk at the time, but not now?

You may want to rephrase this: "A rover can collect data until it dies. You can’t do that with men" :auiqs.jpg:

AI, is know to hallucinate. :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

I don't believe you fully acknowledge the actual arguments for manned missions to Mars.

"Mars remains our horizon goal for human exploration because it is one of the only other places we know where life may have existed in the solar system. What we learn about the Red Planet will tell us more about our Earth’s past and future, and may help answer whether life exists beyond our home planet.

Like the Moon, Mars is a rich destination for scientific discovery and a driver of technologies that will enable humans to travel and explore far from Earth
."

You may want to rephrase this: "A rover can collect data until it dies. You can’t do that with men" :auiqs.jpg:

AI, is know to hallucinate. :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

I don't believe you fully acknowledge the actual arguments for manned missions to Mars.

"Mars remains our horizon goal for human exploration because it is one of the only other places we know where life may have existed in the solar system. What we learn about the Red Planet will tell us more about our Earth’s past and future, and may help answer whether life exists beyond our home planet.

Like the Moon, Mars is a rich destination for scientific discovery and a driver of technologies that will enable humans to travel and explore far from Earth
."

I can see justifying a manned Mars mission because it is a cool thing to do.
I can’t see a justification that it is superior to what can be achieved with rovers.

I don’t think the objective of sending humans to explore far from earth is worthwhile.

Again, more R2D2, less Buck Rogers

I can see justifying a manned Mars mission because it is a cool thing to do.
I can’t see a justification that it is superior to what can be achieved with rovers.

I don’t think the objective of sending humans to explore far from earth is worthwhile.

Again, more R2D2, less Buck Rogers

Notice R2D2 may have failed twice on moon missions in situations where Buck Rogers might be able to fix the situation.

Notice R2D2 may have failed twice on moon missions in situations where Buck Rogers might be able to fix the situation.
True

But if a robot fails, you try, try again
It is significantly cheaper than a manned mission

If a manned mission fails, people die
Apollo 1 failed and 3 people died
Apollo 13 failed and almost cost lives

Forum List

Back