James Webb space telescope. 10 billion dollars, wasted in space.

RE: James Webb Space Telescope

"It is specifically made to look and unravel the mysteries of the creation and formation of our solar system, galaxies and other exoplanetary systems in the universe.

People are amazed and moved by the thought of how can James Webb Space Telescope will see back in time and that leads to major revelations of what we are lacking to conclude in the theories of creation of all source and the crucial processes that are required to build and formulate such tremendous masses capable of providing life and habitat for numerous species and also throws some light on the say of being alone in the universe.

"

How far back can JWST see in the past?

No alt text provided for this image

Image credit: NASA

One of the major goals and target of launching or developing this mission was to see the abnormalities and procedures of formulation of planetary systems, galaxies and stars thereby granting us the superpower of looking back in time.

As light coming from the further objects like stars take an ample amount of time to reach and which is the major principle behind this module. The further away an object is, the further back in time we are looking. This is because of the time taken by light to travel from the object to us."

Because of JWST's larger mirror, it will enable us to see almost the major way back to the beginning of the Universe, around 13.7 billion years ago.

Its ability to view the Universe in longer wavelength infrared light, It will be capable of seeing some of the most distant galaxies in our Universe, certainly with more ease than the visible/ultraviolet light view of Hubble.

This is because light from distant objects is stretched out by the expansion of our Universe, an effect known as Redshift pushing the light out of the visible range and into infrared.

Bits and pieces of the Theory behind JWST seeing back in time

Simple understand this fact that when telescopes look at the light from distant galaxies, they are not literally looking back in time. The past no longer exists, so no one can directly look at it. Instead, the telescopes are looking at the present-time pattern of a beam of light.

Since the beam of light has been traveling through the mostly-empty vacuum of space for millions of years, it has been largely undisturbed. Therefore, the present-time pattern of this beam of light is the same as the pattern that it had when it was first created by the distant galaxy millions of years ago.

By looking at the present-time state of a beam of light, we can thus infer what the galaxy that created the light looked like millions of years ago."

That's all fine and dandy ... but Mars is only 4 light-minutes away from Earth ... we'll only learn about Mars' past from 4 minutes ago ... sooner than news from the Sun ...

Which one allows us to see if Mars had a magnetic field?
I'm sure James Webb will as scientists are EXTREMELY INTERESTED in Mars. They're gonna try to get it a magnetic field eventually. They may be interested in doing this on the moon FIRST as other countries have found water on its surface.

That's all fine and dandy ... but Mars is only 4 light-minutes away from Earth ... we'll only learn about Mars' past from 4 minutes ago ... sooner than news from the Sun ...
Mars is far away, but we should be able to get there faster as technology improves. If today's scientists think they can create a magnetic field for a planet, then they are saying long distance is a problem that they can overcome or improve upon.

With water being found on the sunlit parts of the moon -- There's Water on the Moon? – Moon: NASA Science, they'll likely try to do this on the moon first. Would you live on the moon? It may happen within the next twenty years?

My thoughts are that whatever gets us a step closer to getting off this rock is a good investment in the survival of the human species.
It's long-term, though an inhabitable red dwarf is quite possible. Lunar morphologies will precede any exoplanet morphologies.

You think it's wasting money. I might think other projects are wasting money. Who gets to decide? Well, the people who have the money, the voters who vote for this EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Who opposed this? Republicans? Nope. Democrats? Nope. Then.... 95% of the population voted for this.
It is time to privatize the NASA unmanned space industry along with the manned programs. JPL could be infused and operated by private concerns. The telescope was supposed to cost 700 million dollars and launched in the mid to late first decade of the 21st century. The final tab is 10 billion dollars and 15 years late or so. Project after project it is the same. Cost overruns or less on the spacecraft or outside help to keep the costs down.

Mars is far away, but we should be able to get there faster as technology improves. If today's scientists think they can create a magnetic field for a planet, then they are saying long distance is a problem that they can overcome or improve upon.

With water being found on the sunlit parts of the moon -- There's Water on the Moon? – Moon: NASA Science, they'll likely try to do this on the moon first. Would you live on the moon? It may happen within the next twenty years?

4 minutes at the speed of light in a vacuum ... and that would be closest approach ... 12 minutes at the furthest ... and I don't think any scientists are working on creating a planet-wide magnetic field ... at best we're still trying to find out why planets have magnetic fields in the first place ... we have theories, but nothing firmly in place ... whipping up the liquid interior of Mars isn't a reality ...

Of course there's water on the Moon ... there's water every place ... it's the third most common substance in the entire universe ... granted, in our own cosmic neighborhood, most of this water is tied up as hydrated minerals ... but water still the same ...

I'm against spending money on manned missions into space ... too expensive ... all the extra money to maintain living conditions could be better spent on actual science experiments ... like this new generation of telescopes ... or these new weather satellites, some great imagery coming down from these UNMANNED space missions ...

and I don't think any scientists are working on creating a planet-wide magnetic field
Of course the scientists are drooling to be able to do that. Mars is their eventual destination. Like I thought, they'll be doing it on the moon first.

"When Apollo astronauts brought back samples of moon rocks, scientists were surprised to find that some of them were magnetic. Scientists had no idea that the moon had ever had a magnetic field, and were at a loss to explain why it apparently once had one.

A magnetic field is generated by what’s called a dynamo, which is caused by the fluid motion of a conducting material, such as liquid iron. In the case of the Earth’s magnetic field, this motion occurs in the planet’s outer core, and is caused by the convection of heat."

ETA: As for the dynamo, the scientists will have to MAKE CERTAIN how Earth's magnetic field is generated.

If I was back in HS again, then this would be my field on endeavor in college and beyond.

Of course the scientists are drooling to be able to do that. Mars is their eventual destination. Like I thought, they'll be doing it on the moon first.

"When Apollo astronauts brought back samples of moon rocks, scientists were surprised to find that some of them were magnetic. Scientists had no idea that the moon had ever had a magnetic field, and were at a loss to explain why it apparently once had one.

A magnetic field is generated by what’s called a dynamo, which is caused by the fluid motion of a conducting material, such as liquid iron. In the case of the Earth’s magnetic field, this motion occurs in the planet’s outer core, and is caused by the convection of heat."

ETA: As for the dynamo, the scientists will have to MAKE CERTAIN how Earth's magnetic field is generated.

If I was back in HS again, then this would be my field on endeavor in college and beyond.

I understand the theory and dynamos ... but all this should be true for Venus as well ... and there we have very little magnetic field, much weaker than Earth's ...

But ... using this, then ... no way will Mars ever have a magnetic field ... life there will always have to be behind a layer of aluminum foil ...

I understand the theory and dynamos ... but all this should be true for Venus as well ... and there we have very little magnetic field, much weaker than Earth's ...

But ... using this, then ... no way will Mars ever have a magnetic field ... life there will always have to be behind a layer of aluminum foil ...
How do you know Mars will not have a magnetic field? The technology, as well as finding how the magnetic field is generated (for certain), is still to be discovered. The James Webb telescope is a step in the right direction for that.

Why do you like Venus? It barely has a magnetic field. We're not even interested in going there as it has poisonous atmosphere and no water.

My take is we'll try to learn about our present galaxy and its past, too. If our past helps, such as we find Mars had a magnetic field, then we'll investigate further. However, I'm not sure if we'll find anything more of interest unless we find another planet, moon or gigantic asteroid with what the Earth has. So, for now, we'll be looking for a planet most like Earth in our solar system or in the nearest galaxy. I think it would be our main goal. After awhile, this planet hunting would become mundane as most space bodies aren't suitable for humans. Something amazing would be to find alien life, even a plant or microbe, elsewhere.

I hear that the James Webb space telescope cost 10 billion dollars to make. When will this throwing money away on these space projects end.? We keeps spending money on these Mars rovers, exploring a dead planet, now we have just wasted 10 billion dollars on this James Webb telescope. People are still starving here on Earth, in Afghanistan, and Ethiopia. When will this wasting money in insignificant space exploration going to end? Your thoughts.
The only way humans will continue is to spread to other planets.
How much longer will earth sustain us?
At some point another ice age will occur, or REAL global warming period.
A large meteor
There are a number of things that can, and will eventually end human existence on this planet.
We must begin somewhere.

Go read up idiot.
As usual, you do not take your own advice. Just as well. You are SAF and POS who has never read about terraforming, let alone magnetic fields.

"Phobos is the larger of the two Martian moons, and it orbits the planet quite closely. So closely that it makes a trip around Mars every eight hours. The team proposes using Phobos by ionizing particles from its surface, then accelerating them so they create a plasma torus along the orbit of Phobos. This would create a magnetic field strong enough to protect a terraformed Mars.

It’s a bold plan, and while it seems achievable the engineering hurdles would be significant. But as the authors point out, this is the time for ideas. Start thinking about the problems we need to solve, and how we can solve them, so when humanity does reach Mars, we will be ready to put the best ideas to the test."

I'll have to bite my tongue on what the atheist SAF and POS need to do.

Yes, Scientists are interested in Mars. How many scientists from AIG are working on the Mars explorers?

Do you believe Mars is flat, like you believe in a Flat Earth?

Yes, Scientists are interested in Mars. How many scientists from AIG are working on the Mars explorers?

Do you believe Mars is flat, like you believe in a Flat Earth?
I knew YOU STILL ARE and ALWAYS WILL BE FLATTIE Hollie!

Actually, creationists talk about how Mars had water in the past and we should be able to see it with the James Webb telescope looking into its past. We did see the proof from the Mars rovers. I didn't know about the water until today.

tar9a66o6xc11.jpg

Forum List

Back