James Webb space telescope. 10 billion dollars, wasted in space.

Telescopes in space aren't that expensive ... we don't need to provide such a thing with breathable air ... and the telescopes provide us with scientific information ... not that this information would be useful until we show Einstein is completely wrong ... good luck with that ...

Why build telescopes or microscopes at all? ... a person could waste a whole summer building one ... time better spent growing food for the hungry ... TV, movies, radio; all that money could be used to house the homeless ... fashion shows and red carpets; while people run around naked ...

I understand ... the poor aren't connected to the internet ... it's like they don't exist ...

You believe the Flat Earth was formed 6,000 years ago. 13. 8 million vs. 6,000 is quite a discrepancy.
And Science and Technologies in mostly all ways still expanded in that part of the world more than any other.

Was all.this wasted money done under Biden? How coincidental.
Nope.

Development began in 1996 and construction was completed in 2016, with a major redesign in 2005. Nice try.

The initial cost was estimated to be $500 million.

Test images are being released. I think the first official images are supposed to be released on July 12.

Very exciting.

Since the oldest galaxies are red-shifted, the JWST operates in the infrared spectrum.

Learn more here: James Webb Space Telescope - Wikipedia

1125px-James-Webb-Space-Telescope-2009-top.jpg

JWST-Full-Mirror.jpg

I dont have a problem with exploring space with unmanned spacecraft but we really need to find out how we can reach speeds that will make real space travel possible.
If we cant crack that nut we aren't going anywhere.
I guess the other option would be suspended animation. But we aren't any closer to that then we are to breaking the speed of light.
We can always build a nuclear powered spacecraft with constant acceleration. But even at a velocity near the speed of light, it would take four years to reach the nearest star.

The center of the galaxy is over 25,000 light years away.

Are some of you people reading what you are posting? "Suspended animation" "Speed of light"
"unravelling the universe" it all sounds crazy. How does all that quackery improve our lives here on the Earth.?Many of you grown people need to get your heads examined! We can not exist in space or on any world where there is no water or oxygen.!!

Things learned in space is dwarfed by the things we have learned trying to get into space.

From Pyrex to cell phones and even modern computing were developed first for space exploration. Then exploited by business to make some money.

But some things are too complicated....like a NASA doorknob. 10 separate moves in the proper sequence to open a door...really?

But modern battery tech, rocket tech, radio tech (blue tooth and wi-fi). All sorts of stuff is figured out and applied elsewhere.

Even if we got zero commercial value for space exploration, I would still support it. It has an educational value all its own, and helps to dispel Earthly ignorance.

"What sign are you, baby?"

About This Image​

The bright star at the center of NGC 3132, while prominent when viewed by NASA’s Webb Telescope in near-infrared light, plays a supporting role in sculpting the surrounding nebula. A second star, barely visible at lower left along one of the bright star’s diffraction spikes, is the nebula’s source. It has ejected at least eight layers of gas and dust over thousands of years.

But the bright central star visible here has helped “stir” the pot, changing the shape of this planetary nebula’s highly intricate rings by creating turbulence. The pair of stars are locked in a tight orbit, which leads the dimmer star to spray ejected material in a range of directions as they orbit one another, resulting in these jagged rings.

Hundreds of straight, brightly-lit lines pierce through the rings of gas and dust. These “spotlights” emanate from the bright star and stream through holes in the nebula like sunlight through gaps in a cloud.

But not all of the starlight can escape. The density of the central region, set off in teal, is reflected by how transparent or opaque it is. Areas that are a deeper teal indicate that the gas and dust are denser – and light is unable to break free.

The image mostly suggests a natural sponge to me. Fascinating stuff!

Last edited:
I hear that the James Webb space telescope cost 10 billion dollars to make. When will this throwing money away on these space projects end.? We keeps spending money on these Mars rovers, exploring a dead planet, now we have just wasted 10 billion dollars on this James Webb telescope. People are still starving here on Earth, in Afghanistan, and Ethiopia. When will this wasting money in insignificant space exploration going to end? Your thoughts.
Hold on a second... How many trillions of dollars are wasted on religion, every year?

They're not solving anything, they're not changing the world, they're just making the media-covered donations for show and keeping all the profits.

So a few billion dollars spent on real things like scientific knowledge, that may actually help humanity survive your holocaust, is going to burst your bubble?

You religious twat!!!

Was all.this wasted money done under Biden? How coincidental.
Considering Biden has been in fed-gov for the vast majority of the last 50 years, and the telescope has been in development for about 30 years, I'd say he's as culpable as anyone else.

Forum List

Back