Zone1 Jack Johnson: First Black Heavyweight Boxing Champion

Ms. Turquoise

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2021
Today, March 31, is the birthdate of the first heavyweight boxing champion, Jack Johnson. He was born in Galveston Texas in 1878, just 13 years after the end of legalized slavery. When he was a young man the unwritten law was that no Black man could be given the chance to win the heavyweight crown. So, no White boxer would fight him.
Then, Jim Jeffries retired in 1904 and gave his crown to Tommy Burns. Mr. Burns tried to avoid Jack Johnson, but Johnson kept after him until he finally agreed to fight him. So, on December 26, 1908, in Sydney Australia, Jack Johnson won this bout during the 14th round. He became the first ever Black heavyweight champion.
The White Supremacist world was angry---no Black man was supposed to have this honor. By this time Jim Jeffries had retired to his farm in California. He was overweight, happy and had no plans to return to the ring. But, the White racists talked him into coming out of retirement to fight Jack Johnson. He didn't really want to, but they were insistent. The Whites were sure Jeffries would win.
On July 4, 1910 the much anticipated fight was held in Reno, Nevada. Jim Jeffries had lost weight and trained hard. But, he was no match for Jack Johnson. From the very beginning of the fight, Jeffries was at a disadvantage. Johnson played with him, not wanting to knock him out too early in the fight. The White crowd was sullen and angry that Jeffries was losing to the upstart Negro.
It lasted for 15 rounds, by which time Jeffries's face was a bloody mess. The referee stopped the fight. Johnson was declared the winner.
There were race riots afterwards. Whites hated to see Jeffries lose.
Thanks for reminising with me. Have a nice day.

Today, March 31, is the birthdate of the first heavyweight boxing champion, Jack Johnson. He was born in Galveston Texas in 1878, just 13 years after the end of legalized slavery. When he was a young man the unwritten law was that no Black man could be given the chance to win the heavyweight crown. So, no White boxer would fight him.
Then, Jim Jeffries retired in 1904 and gave his crown to Tommy Burns. Mr. Burns tried to avoid Jack Johnson, but Johnson kept after him until he finally agreed to fight him. So, on December 26, 1908, in Sydney Australia, Jack Johnson won this bout during the 14th round. He became the first ever Black heavyweight champion.
The White Supremacist world was angry---no Black man was supposed to have this honor. By this time Jim Jeffries had retired to his farm in California. He was overweight, happy and had no plans to return to the ring. But, the White racists talked him into coming out of retirement to fight Jack Johnson. He didn't really want to, but they were insistent. The Whites were sure Jeffries would win.
On July 4, 1910 the much anticipated fight was held in Reno, Nevada. Jim Jeffries had lost weight and trained hard. But, he was no match for Jack Johnson. From the very beginning of the fight, Jeffries was at a disadvantage. Johnson played with him, not wanting to knock him out too early in the fight. The White crowd was sullen and angry that Jeffries was losing to the upstart Negro.
It lasted for 15 rounds, by which time Jeffries's face was a bloody mess. The referee stopped the fight. Johnson was declared the winner.
There were race riots afterwards. Whites hated to see Jeffries lose.
Thanks for reminising with me. Have a nice day.
My first boxing coach(Archie Moore) knew Jack Johnson, and often showed us rare film footage of him. Unfortunately, he was born in the wrong era and paid a hefty price for his success.

If you have not seen this documentary about his life, it is considered one of the most well researched and factually informative sources about him in existence.

My first boxing coach(Archie Moore) knew Jack Johnson, and often showed us rare film footage of him. Unfortunately, he was born in the wrong era and paid a hefty price for his success.

If you have not seen this documentary about his life, it is considered one of the most well researched and factually informative sources about him in existence.

Yes, I have seen this film "Unforgivable Blackness" a few times. They were so mean to Jack Johnson, it almost made me cry watching this documentary.
Did you fight professionally?

I would have thought the great Mr Johnson would have been lynched and his family murdered after he won the title, if I believed American history as it’s taught by some today.
There were some Black people who were lynched, beat up and terrorized by Whites after Jack Johnson won the fight with Jim Jeffries. There were some White people who just couldn't stand the thought of a Black man whipping their hero. So, they took it out on any Black person they saw.
I guess the feelings of White Supremacy were very strong in those days.

There were some Black people who were lynched, beat up and terrorized by Whites after Jack Johnson won the fight with Jim Jeffries. There were some White people who just couldn't stand the thought of a Black man whipping their hero. So, they took it out on any Black person they saw.
Lol. You missed my point entirely.

I guess only injustices to black people are all you are concerned with. Typical racist bigot. Why do you not consider when the injustices are done by black people to white people or Asians as is the case with Reginald Denney in 1993--not 100 years ago when societal norms were not as equal. How many times are you going to reach back over 100 years while disregarding the violence black people are visiting upon elderly Asian people? Those aren't important, eh. Where are your tears for the Asians that have been murdered by indiscriminate attacks of black men? You should move from your glass house before you throw stones.

I guess only injustices to black people are all you are concerned with. Typical racist bigot. Why do you not consider when the injustices are done by black people to white people or Asians as is the case with Reginald Denney in 1993--not 100 years ago when societal norms were not as equal. How many times are you going to reach back over 100 years while disregarding the violence black people are visiting upon elderly Asian people? Those aren't important, eh. Where are your tears for the Asians that have been murdered by indiscriminate attacks of black men? You should move from your glass house before you throw stones.
Why don't you have any empathy for Black people?

Why don't you have any empathy for Black people?
Who said I didn't. Why don't you have any empathy for anyone else. Your racism defines you and every post you make proves it. Maybe you should address the social problems of the current day and stop dwelling of those of over 100 years ago. I contend, the wrongs of today are far more important than promoting the ignorance of the past. If you remove your racist blinders, you would see that too.

Yes, I have seen this film "Unforgivable Blackness" a few times. They were so mean to Jack Johnson, it almost made me cry watching this documentary.
Did you fight professionally?
I've watched the documentary several times and read the book as well. The creator of the documentary, Ken Burns, is a good friend of someone that I know in the UK, so he got me an autographed copy of the book and DVD.

I didn't fight professionally, however I competed in the California state championship tournament and the Open Division National Golden Gloves.

Forum List

Back