‘It’s like we’re born with guns in our hands’

fanger

Gold Member
May 21, 2014
Fuck israel
Growing up in a politically mainstream household where military service was not only seen as a duty, but also an honor, Omri found herself at odds with what she saw an inherently violent culture surrounding her. When it came time for her conscription, she refused on the basis of her budding pacifist beliefs.

“Even before I knew anything about the occupation of Palestine, I couldn’t understand why our culture was centered on violence. It’s like we are born with guns in our hands,” she said. “Our society is so militant and most Israelis never learn anything else.”

Four months ago, Omri requested exemption from military service through an ethics committee. But her request was rejected, and she found herself facing prison time.

“The maps we are shown in school represent the entirety of the land as belonging to Israel. There are no occupied territories. This is what all Israelis are being taught.”

“If you smile at Palestinians while working at a checkpoint, it doesn’t change the fact that there’s a checkpoint,” Tair said. “As refusers we are against the whole system. We are not just against the military. We are against the government. We are against the policies that oppress the Palestinians.”

Yasmin added, “The fact that you are wearing an Israeli military uniform is already problematic. It doesn’t matter if you are a nice soldier. You are still a soldier.”

“Israelis need to understand that this is not our land,” Yasmin continued. “It has been almost 50 years and the occupation continues and continues and has turned into something normal. Israelis have forgotten that what we are doing is illegal.”

- See more at: ‘It’s like we’re born with guns in our hands’: Young Israelis face prison as they resist military conscription
It is hard for Israelis to read a story about the horrible things their soldiers do to the Palestinians

Growing up in a politically mainstream household where military service was not only seen as a duty, but also an honor, Omri found herself at odds with what she saw an inherently violent culture surrounding her. When it came time for her conscription, she refused on the basis of her budding pacifist beliefs.

“Even before I knew anything about the occupation of Palestine, I couldn’t understand why our culture was centered on violence. It’s like we are born with guns in our hands,” she said. “Our society is so militant and most Israelis never learn anything else.”

Four months ago, Omri requested exemption from military service through an ethics committee. But her request was rejected, and she found herself facing prison time.

“The maps we are shown in school represent the entirety of the land as belonging to Israel. There are no occupied territories. This is what all Israelis are being taught.”

“If you smile at Palestinians while working at a checkpoint, it doesn’t change the fact that there’s a checkpoint,” Tair said. “As refusers we are against the whole system. We are not just against the military. We are against the government. We are against the policies that oppress the Palestinians.”

Yasmin added, “The fact that you are wearing an Israeli military uniform is already problematic. It doesn’t matter if you are a nice soldier. You are still a soldier.”

“Israelis need to understand that this is not our land,” Yasmin continued. “It has been almost 50 years and the occupation continues and continues and has turned into something normal. Israelis have forgotten that what we are doing is illegal.”

- See more at: ‘It’s like we’re born with guns in our hands’: Young Israelis face prison as they resist military conscription
It is hard for Israelis to read a story about the horrible things their soldiers do to the Palestinians

And if she was a muslim she would be stoned for bringing dishonour on her family.

There are great benefits and life lessons I've earned on my civil duty, no doubt, I'm also kind of a practical mind so I won't choose college over a civil duty, but most of the people would definitely choose college over the civil duty, no doubt either.
So enlighten us, why preaching for war.

fanger, et al, (Just a Thought!)

Rarely do the various ethnic groups --- or --- cultures and societies, ever think of themselves as doing evil or picture themselves as demonic. Rarely do civilizations and cultures not correct themselves when they perceive that what they do is counterproductive in the development of the people.

When the Palestinians carried out these attacks, did they see themselves as bad, evil or demonic. Each of these attacks were praised by the various Arab Leaders and Palestinian celebrities for the great work they did killing civilians in large numbers.

• 1972 Munich Games, the Palestinian militant group Black September took the Israeli national team hostage
• 15 May 1973 Ma’a lot Massacre Terrorist Attack Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP) More than 115 people were taken as hostages and out of them 25 were killed and 66 were injured.
• 8 September 1974 Palestinian Group Abu Nidal Terrorists bombing of TWA Flight 841 Terrorist attack
• 27 March 2002, Passover Seder. HAMAS Suicide Bomber 30 civilians were killed - 140 were injured.

Under what logic is this Customary IHL Rule #21 - Target Selection, must be that the attack may be expected to cause the least danger to civilian lives and to civilian objects. In these attacks there were no military components at all.

Over time, as more and more obvious the Palestinians were targeting pure civilian targets, and that the international community, the regional Arab community and the leaders of the various Palestinian activities praised these events, the less it valued human life. As political entities gave monetary awards to the terrorists, the radicalized Islamic leaders guaranteed sexual favors in the afterlife.

Ethics are not necessarily to do with being law-abiding.
I am very interested in the moral path, doing the right thing.
Kate Atkinson
MBE Renoun English Writer

... ... ... “Israelis need to understand that this is not our land,” Yasmin continued. “It has been almost 50 years and the occupation continues and continues and has turned into something normal. Israelis have forgotten that what we are doing is illegal.”

(INTERESTING)
"After a total of 155 days inside a cell and over the span of six separate stays in an Israeli military prison, 19-year-old Tair Kaminer was released in July as the longest serving female conscientious objector to the Israeli military service." - See more at: ‘It’s like we’re born with guns in our hands’: Young Israelis face prison as they resist military conscription

(COMMENT)

On ether side of the "Question of Palestine: An Arab-Israeli Conflict." any realistic poll is going to show differing perspective and alternative notions on the issues; from one extreme to other -- across the entire spectrum of the issues.

Not all Israelis believe that the entire expanse, west of the Jordan River and border with Jordan, belongs to Israel. The vast majority of Israelis understand that the IDF pushed the Jordanian Army (Arab Legion) back across the river in order to shore up weaknesses in the defense of Israel and its people.

When I hear some one say this (the horrible things their soldiers do to the Palestinians), I am caught between the reality (what the Palestinians have done and are praised for doing) and what is acceptable outside the rarified gaseous atmosphere of the radicalized, Islamic Militant community and the teaching of their faith. The debate them becomes, which set of ethics do you believe in the most. Do you believe that the ethics and moral standards of today's Islamic Radical, Jihadist, Muslim Terrorist and Middle Eastern Asymmetric Freedom Fighters that would kill you for sexual favors in the afterlife and that these examples of humanity should be permitted to run free, unleashed in the world? OR, Do you believe that while other human elements are not perfect, the are better than the alternatives.

Most Respectfully,
R

But it is not hard for people like you to make up those stories.

Forum List

Back