It's almost time again

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
In my part of the world, it's almost time to plant corn again. I'll start breaking up the bed and mixing in the compost and fertilizer in anticipation of April's planting. I have a lot of plants in my garden and of all those plants, it's not roses, or flowers that are the most beautiful ... it's corn. Nothing in the world is more green and gorgeous ... and almost nothing tastes as good right off the stalk.

People describe a boring time as "watching corn grow" ... but, for me, it's among life's more pleasurable pastimes.

misc garden 029.JPG

I grew a small garden last year.

Well, I tried.

But the rabbits ate all of the tomatoes and herbs.

This year I am gonna chicken wire the patch.

I shall defeat Peter Cottontail.

Fresh picked vegies taste the best, but few people have ever had them.
Store bought "fresh" vegies might be weeks old by the time you eat them.
I had a relative who grew a 1 acre garden and it produced much more food than two people could eat.
They were always giving away fresh picked vegetables.

Rabbits and squirrels are the reasons I quit having a garden several years ago. I also rabbit and squirrel hunt and they are mighty tasty. I live right in town and cannot shoot them, and I used to trap when I was a kid. Last week I was sitting at my local brewery talking to a friend of mine. He lives in town too but was saying his wife traps, shoots, cleans and cooks any critter she traps in the garden. Her garden gets nicer every year. So I asked if I could borrow his wife, but anyway, I have a plan for a garden this year. Oh, and thanks for a sane thread on a crazy forum.

I live right in town, so my neighbors get all worked up when I start shooting stuff. So I really am trapping them this year and popping them with a 22.

In my part of town, people call the cops when they don't hear gunfire. It's like white noise to them.

Rabbits and squirrels are the reasons I quit having a garden several years ago. I also rabbit and squirrel hunt and they are mighty tasty. I live right in town and cannot shoot them, and I used to trap when I was a kid. Last week I was sitting at my local brewery talking to a friend of mine. He lives in town too but was saying his wife traps, shoots, cleans and cooks any critter she traps in the garden. Her garden gets nicer every year. So I asked if I could borrow his wife, but anyway, I have a plan for a garden this year.

As Mrs MO expanded the garden this year she added an electric fence to keep cats out while the chickens are in there.

The neighborhood feral cats ate the rabbits...but I notice the squirrels are also avoiding it like the plague...

IMG_20220302_182554553.jpg

In my part of the world, it's almost time to plant corn again. I'll start breaking up the bed and mixing in the compost and fertilizer in anticipation of April's planting. I have a lot of plants in my garden and of all those plants, it's not roses, or flowers that are the most beautiful ... it's corn. Nothing in the world is more green and gorgeous ... and almost nothing tastes as good right off the stalk.

People describe a boring time as "watching corn grow" ... but, for me, it's among life's more pleasurable pastimes.

View attachment 609840
I miss my garden. Had to sell mani farm and house do to divorce. Bought a lake side condo. Need to add another boat to the charter buisness but in a couple of years I will buy some acreage and a garden again

View attachment 609840

Looks really good .
We have had so many things going on but do have some veggies growing in green house. Aslo got my raised bed ready to turn over in April.

Forum List

Back