It Took Tom Cotton Less Than A Minute To Invoke Hitler In First Senate Speech

"The world is growing ever more dangerous, and our defense spending is wholly inadequate to confront the danger," Cotton said.

Is this guy fro real? We spend more on defense than every other country combined. What we don't do, is use our military might effectively and punitively enough against the Islamic savages of the Middle East.

Hmmmm, he was using it in a historical context, accurately I might add. And you're worried about his speech......

When you go Hitler, you've lost

Except he didn't, he went to Churchill, reading is fundamental. The point was our declining defense capabilities, stating that needed to be reversed. Spin it any way you want, it won't change the facts.

"The world is growing ever more dangerous, and our defense spending is wholly inadequate to confront the danger," Cotton said.

Is this guy fro real? We spend more on defense than every other country combined. What we don't do, is use our military might effectively and punitively enough against the Islamic savages of the Middle East.

Obviously, he doesn't know how much we spend.

0053_defense-comparison-crop.gif

Hmmmm, he was using it in a historical context, accurately I might add. And you're worried about his speech......

Except he didn't, he went to Churchill, reading is fundamental. The point was our declining defense capabilities, stating that needed to be reversed. Spin it any way you want, it won't change the facts.

No he went Monster and crib and 1930....AND HITLER

This sort of reminds me of a story about when Steve Largent (a former Seattle Seahawks wr, and I think HOF member) first got elected to congress. He was very religious and wanted to start every meeting with a prayer, until finally an old guy told him they generally reserve prayers for the really big stuff.

WASHINGTON -- It's hard to believe freshman Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) caused such a stir in the Senate with his letter to Iran even before his maiden floor speech. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who led an unsuccessful fight against Obamacare, couldn't even do that.

But Cotton -- now famous for orchestrating the controversial letter to Iran with the signatures of 46 of his GOP colleagues -- finally got the chance to do just that on Monday evening. Cotton began, as one does, with Adolf Hitler.

"The world is growing ever more dangerous, and our defense spending is wholly inadequate to confront the danger," Cotton said. "To be exact, during the last four or five years, the world has grown gravely darker. We have steadily disarmed, partly with a sincere desire to give a lead to other countries and partly due to the severe financial pressure of the time. But a change must now be made. We must not continue longer on a course in which we alone are growing weaker while every other nation is growing stronger."

He continued: "I wish I could take credit for those eloquent but ominous words, but I cannot. Winston Churchill sounded that warning in 1933 as Adolf Hitler had taken power in Germany. Tragically, Great Britain and the West didn't heed this warning, when they might have strangled that monster in his crib. Rather they let the locust continue to eat away at the common defense."

More: It Took Tom Cotton Less Than A Minute To Invoke Hitler In First Senate Speech

Cotton is a scary dude - and not in a good way.

Well all know that history will never repeat itself.

The world is a mess, but there are no direct comparisons between Hitler and what is going on in the world today - unless one just wants to compare all evil to Hitler. It's just fearmongering.

So the murderous islamonazis couldn't possibly be compared to Hitlers regime, how ignorant are you?

Please tell us how they are directly similar.

Aspirations of global domination, killing anyone who doesn't subscribe to their ideology including other muslims, they've already spread into more countries and if we don't stop them there, we will be dealing with them here on a scale much greater than we've already seen here. Continuing to destroy our defense capabilities won't help us deal with the situation and that is exactly what Cotton was saying. He was right.

WASHINGTON -- It's hard to believe freshman Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) caused such a stir in the Senate with his letter to Iran even before his maiden floor speech. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who led an unsuccessful fight against Obamacare, couldn't even do that.

But Cotton -- now famous for orchestrating the controversial letter to Iran with the signatures of 46 of his GOP colleagues -- finally got the chance to do just that on Monday evening. Cotton began, as one does, with Adolf Hitler.

"The world is growing ever more dangerous, and our defense spending is wholly inadequate to confront the danger," Cotton said. "To be exact, during the last four or five years, the world has grown gravely darker. We have steadily disarmed, partly with a sincere desire to give a lead to other countries and partly due to the severe financial pressure of the time. But a change must now be made. We must not continue longer on a course in which we alone are growing weaker while every other nation is growing stronger."

He continued: "I wish I could take credit for those eloquent but ominous words, but I cannot. Winston Churchill sounded that warning in 1933 as Adolf Hitler had taken power in Germany. Tragically, Great Britain and the West didn't heed this warning, when they might have strangled that monster in his crib. Rather they let the locust continue to eat away at the common defense."

More: It Took Tom Cotton Less Than A Minute To Invoke Hitler In First Senate Speech

Well all know that history will never repeat itself.

Well, that's true. History never really does repeat itself. But none the less we like historical anecdotes. Cotton unfortunately is an attention seeking clown, rather than seriously addressing issues. There's a real question whether the sequester is making it impossible for the military. I don't know the answer to it. I do know that Obama wants more defense funding than the sequester allows. I know that some republicans want to raise revenue outside of the sequester limits for defense funding, but it's also a very real possibility that we'll go into late summer looking at another govt shutdown, because the dems won't agree to violate sequester on defense unless the gop gives on domestic spending.

The idiocy exhibited by most conservatives doesn't even surprise any more.

That's because you're inured to the idiocy of Democracy, which is like a nuclear bomb compared to a firecracker.

I don't see Cotton as a conservative. If he was a conservative, he'd be trying to find a way to increase defense spending without increasing the debt .... and without increasing spending on domestic stuff.

No he went Monster and crib and 1930....AND HITLER

His prerogative, at least he didn't give aid and comfort to the enemy in a time of war, by saying the serge has failed, the war is lost. Of course commiecrats would care if he did that, oh wait, yes they would he's a republican, they're only good with it when a commiecrat does it.

Forum List

Back