It takes about $1000 more per month to live now

Our cousins who cattle ranch in southeast Texas also say the meat of the feral hogs is pretty much inedible there too which is a shame. They are out of control there tearing up lawns, gardens, flower beds, and doing other damage. Hard to catch as they are mostly nocturnal and don't have any consistent schedule. The only remedy is trap or shoot them with shooting the most sure way to get them if you happen to see them. But it is a real shame that they can't be used for food.
I have an Army buddy that has a ranch in South Florida. Overrun with wild hogs.

He invited several of his friends and myself to come down and have a hog shoot. I brought my Class III full auto M-16. We shot 111 hogs.

Some of them were pretty fat. He picked out the best one and butchered it and put it on his pit smoker. He did a really good job smoking it but it was really crappy tasting. I couldn't even eat a mouthful. He knew it was going to be bad so he had some backup BBQ but he knew we would all want to at least try one that we shot.

You have to kill at least 80% of a sounder in order to have an effect on the wild pig population. He estimated we didn't even get 50%. After we left he hired a trapper. Over a month period another 150 were trapped and killed. Two years later he was right back to having the same level of infestation as he had before the trapping and shootings.

He invited several of his friends and myself to come down and have a hog shoot. I brought my Class III full auto M-16. We shot 111 hogs.

Some of them were pretty fat. He picked out the best one and butchered it and put it on his pit smoker. He did a really good job smoking it but it was really crappy tasting. I couldn't even eat a mouthful. He knew it was going to be bad so he had some backup BBQ but he knew we would all want to at least try one that we shot.

You have to kill at least 80% of a sounder in order to have an effect on the wild pig population. He estimated we didn't even get 50%. After we left he hired a trapper. Over a month period another 150 were trapped and killed. Two years later he was right back to having the same level of infestation as he had before the trapping and shootings.
You use it to make sausage. Spice the shit outta it, put mustard on the end product and serve it when everyone is half drunk.

Our Tx cousins have had much the same experience. Their sons and sons-in-law and others stake out when they're especially bad and shoot them by the dozens, but it doesn't seem to diminish the populations.

Our New Mexico wild horses can also be somewhat destructive but not so much anybody wants to shoot them. But then they are beautiful. Feral hogs not so much.

Our Tx cousins have had much the same experience. Their sons and sons-in-law and others stake out when they're especially bad and shoot them by the dozens, but it doesn't seem to diminish the populations.

Our New Mexico wild horses can also be somewhat destructive but not so much anybody wants to shoot them. But then they are beautiful. Feral hogs not so much.
Doesn't the gov't round them up and sell them in NM? They do in NV and a couple of other western states.

Doesn't the gov't round them up and sell them in NM? They do in NV and a couple of other western states.
If they become a major problem they do. I don't know if they are an officially protected species but most communities where they are treat them that way and like having them around unless they just become too many. They invade downtown and residential Ruidoso and other NM cities now and then. I've seen several videos of traffic stopped while a herd cross the paved road.

Also in Ruidoso

But we don't shoot our horses. And most Americans wouldn't think about eating horsemeat either.

Last edited:
You use it to make sausage. Spice the shit outta it, put mustard on the end product and serve it when everyone is half drunk.
Some guy down the road makes an Italian sausage that can hold its own against anything you can buy at the store. I scored a lot of points with his sausage. My parties are usually a winner because I concentrate on drugs and premium moonshine, like a twice distilled whiskey with a hint of peach. And I'm not stingy. You get to sleep in my laundry room if that's what it comes down to.

If they become a major problem they do. I don't know if they are an officially protected species but most communities where they are treat them that way. They invade downtown and residential Ruidoso and other NM cities now and then. I've seen several videos of traffic stopped while a herd cross the paved road.

But we don't shoot our horses. And most Americans wouldn't think about eating horsemeat either.

CA has a cockamamie law that prohibits the sale of YOUR OWN horses if you know that they are going to be used for food. I didn't think anyone in the US ate horsemeat. I remember that area of NM. Went to a church retreat in Cloudcroft when I was in junior high--pretty country.

CA has a cockamamie law that prohibits the sale of YOUR OWN horses if you know that they are going to be used for food. I didn't think anyone in the US ate horsemeat. I remember that area of NM. Went to a church retreat in Cloudcroft when I was in junior high--pretty country.
Yes Cloudcroft is pretty close to Ruidoso with the Mescalero Apache reservation in between them. Beautiful country. As a kid and teenager I went to many church camps at the Sacramento Methodist Camp at roughly 10,000 ft just east of Cloudcroft. Don't know if it's still there or not. That was a LONG time ago. :)

I guess she told you, eh Gulping Gator? I am not surprised that you have not apologized for your ignorance.
I would say he asked because so many make a statement and never post a link. But there again, we should never have to ask for links, but there we go.

After reading the link, it's the first time knowing that that happened!

I'll continue to eat meat, my habits won't change because some think the sky is falling. Mainly chicken because I like making Indian foods, then about once a month, beef or lamb. A veg only diet is not healthy, regardless of the crap the cranks spout.

I would say he asked because so many make a statement and never post a link. But there again, we should never have to ask for links, but there we go.

After reading the link, it's the first time knowing that that happened!

I'll continue to eat meat, my habits won't change because some think the sky is falling. Mainly chicken because I like making Indian foods, then about once a month, beef or lamb. A veg only diet is not healthy, regardless of the crap the cranks spout.

you might also notice the link talked pretty much exclusively about poultry and did not say how many cattle were culled.

That is about right.

I am retired and have a somewhat comfortable income. Fortunately I also have the ability to increase that income with the penalty being our kids and grandkids will get less of an inheritance.

Since Mr. Potatohead stole the election I have increased my monthly income $1000 a month to cover his massive inflation. This is on top of some of my pension income having a COLA increase.

When Potatohead stole the election he really screwed this country. Of course the Moon Bats will be in denial.

Reminds me of the old days with Jimmy Carter with massive inflation and high interest rates.
Please be patient, Biden is fucking things up as fast as he can.

Forum List

Back