It really is just personal responsibility at this point

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I saved this in my Bookmarks back in April but forgot to post it. David Frum pretty much expresses my feelings about it at this point. If people want to take the chance it's totally on them. The motorcycle helmet analogy is spot on.

In 2016, poor health strongly predicted Trump voting. A county's rate of diabetes, alcohol consumption, obesity, etc. predicted its propensity to vote Trump *even better* than race/education. thehealthcareblog.com/blog/2017/01/0…

America’s Health and The 2016 Election: An Unexpected ConnectionBy JEFF GOLDSMITH Donald Trump’s stunning upset victory has occasioned a lot of searching among political analysts for an underlying explanation for the unexpected turn in voter sentiment. Many point …America’s Health and The 2016 Election: An Unexpected Connection

I think of that grim relationship between Trump and sickness as I read the latest stories about how so many Republicans continue to refuse COVID vaccines. 2/x

washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04…

As @DKThomp points out, vaccine refusal is especially strong among younger Republicans 3/x

The self-harm of Trump voters should concern us all. They are fellow human beings. And because their self-harm also drives them to dangerous political extremes, their self-harm is also an important civic matter too. BUT ... 4/x

... there's an issue of personal responsibility here too.
A heroic scientific effort - achieved at huge cost - has delivered vaccines that are astonishingly effective at protecting life from COVID. So effective that we may not need to worry about herd immunity. If so ... 5/x

... If so, if the vaccines work as well as they seem to work, then vaccine refusal really does become a personal decision, like a motorcyclist refusing to wear a helmet.

I believe we ought to try to save people from self-harm. But there are practical limits to paternalism 6/x

Trump and the Fox leadership have vaccinated themselves of course. But they have a different message for their followers. They have persuaded them that it's a test of identity and loyalty to refuse COVID protection. 7/x

Just as Sarah Palin once waged culture war against healthy eating theatlantic.com/culture/archiv…

and as Senator Joni Ernst has done the same more recently. iowafieldreport.com/congress/joni-… 8/x

Joni Ernst: In the Left’s War on Meat, I’ll Stand Up for Iowa FarmersLiberal activists have a First Amendment right to say or preach what they’d like, but our federal agencies shouldn’t be encouraging people to ban agricultural products at the expense of America’s hard…Joni Ernst: In the Left’s War on Meat, I’ll Stand Up for Iowa Farmers

In War Against the Obamas, Palin Drops Cookie Bomb And brings treats to elementary school to teach kids about "laissez-faire" government.In War Against the Obamas, Palin Drops Cookie Bomb

The gun issue is also one of self-harm and harm to loved ones. Almost 25,000 Americans a year use guns to end their lives. Thousands more are horribly injured in gun accidents that would never have happened without a firearm in the home. 9/x

What the data says about gun deaths in the U.S.A look at the data on murders, suicides and other gun deaths in the U.S. and how they have changed over time.What the data says about gun deaths in the U.S.

The people who voted Trump and watch Fox are victims of a slow-rolling national tragedy. But they are not *only* victims. They bear responsibility too for the harm they do themselves and their families. 10/x

In the earlier phases of COVID, we were all in it together. One person's reckless behavior endangered his or her more prudent neighbor. As highly effective vaccines spread, however, the harm of COVID denial increasingly falls almost wholly on the denier. 11/x

Eventually a free society reaches the limits of its ability to protect the ignorant and careless from themselves - and what a society cannot do, it can have no duty to do. END
• • •

Last edited:
Do you have any idea who David frum is?

Frum was W's speechwriter for the famous axis of evil speech....

David frum would cheer if every Muslim was exterminated...

Frum is a piece of shit. Who gives a rat's ass what he has to say about anything.

Shocked that a w Zionist is now pushing gun control.....

They are all frauds, the Zionist republicans....

I saved this in my Bookmarks back in April but forgot to post it. David Frum pretty much expresses my feelings about it at this point. If people want to take the chance it's totally on them. The motorcycle helmet analogy is spot on.

In 2016, poor health strongly predicted Trump voting. A county's rate of diabetes, alcohol consumption, obesity, etc. predicted its propensity to vote Trump *even better* than race/education. thehealthcareblog.com/blog/2017/01/0…

America’s Health and The 2016 Election: An Unexpected ConnectionBy JEFF GOLDSMITH Donald Trump’s stunning upset victory has occasioned a lot of searching among political analysts for an underlying explanation for the unexpected turn in voter sentiment. Many point …America’s Health and The 2016 Election: An Unexpected Connection

I think of that grim relationship between Trump and sickness as I read the latest stories about how so many Republicans continue to refuse COVID vaccines. 2/x

As @DKThomp points out, vaccine refusal is especially strong among younger Republicans 3/x

The self-harm of Trump voters should concern us all. They are fellow human beings. And because their self-harm also drives them to dangerous political extremes, their self-harm is also an important civic matter too. BUT ... 4/x

A heroic scientific effort - achieved at huge cost - has delivered vaccines that are astonishingly effective at protecting life from COVID. So effective that we may not need to worry about herd immunity. If so ... 5/x

... If so, if the vaccines work as well as they seem to work, then vaccine refusal really does become a personal decision, like a motorcyclist refusing to wear a helmet.

I believe we ought to try to save people from self-harm. But there are practical limits to paternalism 6/x

Trump and the Fox leadership have vaccinated themselves of course. But they have a different message for their followers. They have persuaded them that it's a test of identity and loyalty to refuse COVID protection. 7/x

Just as Sarah Palin once waged culture war against healthy eating theatlantic.com/culture/archiv…

and as Senator Joni Ernst has done the same more recently. iowafieldreport.com/congress/joni-… 8/x

Joni Ernst: In the Left’s War on Meat, I’ll Stand Up for Iowa FarmersLiberal activists have a First Amendment right to say or preach what they’d like, but our federal agencies shouldn’t be encouraging people to ban agricultural products at the expense of America’s hard…Joni Ernst: In the Left’s War on Meat, I’ll Stand Up for Iowa Farmers

In War Against the Obamas, Palin Drops Cookie Bomb And brings treats to elementary school to teach kids about "laissez-faire" government.In War Against the Obamas, Palin Drops Cookie Bomb

The gun issue is also one of self-harm and harm to loved ones. Almost 25,000 Americans a year use guns to end their lives. Thousands more are horribly injured in gun accidents that would never have happened without a firearm in the home. 9/x

What the data says about gun deaths in the U.S.A look at the data on murders, suicides and other gun deaths in the U.S. and how they have changed over time.What the data says about gun deaths in the U.S.

The people who voted Trump and watch Fox are victims of a slow-rolling national tragedy. But they are not *only* victims. They bear responsibility too for the harm they do themselves and their families. 10/x

In the earlier phases of COVID, we were all in it together. One person's reckless behavior endangered his or her more prudent neighbor. As highly effective vaccines spread, however, the harm of COVID denial increasingly falls almost wholly on the denier. 11/x

Eventually a free society reaches the limits of its ability to protect the ignorant and careless from themselves - and what a society cannot do, it can have no duty to do. END
• • •

Only an idiot like you would try to lay all this bullshit on Trump. All of the above can be easily explained by local differences in weather, climate and lifestyle.

We do not agree that David frum is a credible human.

We do not agree that gun confiscation is a good idea. It is, rather, a fascist idea practiced by hitler himself.

So Zeig heil to you, fascist....

• • •

Totally unscientifically collected data....do you have any experience with Data collection whatsoever?
Did you know that there was an increase in sunspot activity during the Obama administration? I could very easily draw a x/y chart to demonstrate the correlation between those two things ...... only problem is that they are not related to each other in any way. Eventually a free society reaches the limits of its ability to protect the gullible. Smart people ask questions...stupid people believe everything that they are told and jump when they are asked to jump. Take the Vaccine did you? (It's not a vaccine) My condolences.

Frum is a piece of shit. Who gives a rat's ass what he has to say about anything.
You have no thoughts on the OP? Or is it that you have no thoughts?
i think my point of view regarding Frum is fairly transparent.
However, if you are too dense for nuance, let me be completely open. Frum is a Zionist POS who should be thrown in a fucking woodchipper on prime time national television as an example to the rest. .

Republicans??? Are the only ones resistant to the vax????

That's odd,

Less than half the total US population is vaxxed and so that means more than half are resistant or unvaxxed. Read that again........MORE THAN HALF are unvaxxed.

So by that theory there are more Trump voters????

1.) That would mean Slow Joe didn't win afterall

and most importantly.........

2.) The numbers are for total population, NOT Republican vs Dumbocrat

IOW by your idea, and what you've been screaming since Nov is there aren't that many Reps to equal more than half of the population. Surprise, there's alot of NON voters out there too that thinks this shit is just that. SHIT

Gabe Lackmann
Especially when he criticised republicans, vacinnes and guns.
You're as predictable as the sun rise.
1625893571722.png

• • •

Totally unscientifically collected data....do you have any experience with Data collection whatsoever?
Did you know that there was an increase in sunspot activity during the Obama administration? I could very easily draw a x/y chart to demonstrate the correlation between those two things ...... only problem is that they are not related to each other in any way. Eventually a free society reaches the limits of its ability to protect the gullible. Smart people ask questions...stupid people believe everything that they are told and jump when they are asked to jump. Take the Vaccine did you? (It's not a vaccine) My condolences.

Do you not understand what the OP is about?

You have no thoughts on the OP? Or is it that you have no thoughts?
i think my point of view regarding Frum is fairly transparent.
However, if you are too dense for nuance, let me be completely open. Frum is a Zionist POS who should be thrown in a fucking woodchipper on prime time national television as an example to the rest. .
Who gives a shit about your "thoughts on David Frum"?

Do you have an opinion on what he is saying or are you not capable?

Republicans??? Are the only ones resistant to the vax????

That's odd,

Less than half the total US population is vaxxed and so that means more than half are resistant or unvaxxed. Read that again........MORE THAN HALF are unvaxxed.

So by that theory there are more Trump voters????

1.) That would mean Slow Joe didn't win afterall

and most importantly.........

2.) The numbers are for total population, NOT Republican vs Dumbocrat

IOW by your idea, and what you've been screaming since Nov is there aren't that many Reps to equal more than half of the population. Surprise, there's alot of NON voters out there too that thinks this shit is just that. SHIT
Party lines may play role in who's getting the COVID-19 vaccine

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/the-red-blue-divide-in-covid-19-vaccination-rates-is-growing/

The Red/Blue Divide in COVID-19 Vaccination Rates is Growing

Forum List

Back