It can't happen here

"The novel that foreshadowed Donald Trump’s authoritarian appeal."—Salon

It Can’t Happen Here
is the only one of Sinclair Lewis’s later novels to match the power of Main Street, Babbitt, and Arrowsmith. A cautionary tale about the fragility of democracy, it is an alarming, eerily timeless look at how fascism could take hold in America. Written during the Great Depression, when the country was largely oblivious to Hitler’s aggression, it juxtaposes sharp political satire with the chillingly realistic rise of a president who becomes a dictator to save the nation from welfare cheats, sex, crime, and a liberal press. Called “a message to thinking Americans” by the Springfield Republican when it was published in 1935, It Can’t Happen Here is a shockingly prescient novel that remains as fresh and contemporary as today’s news.

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Happen-Here-Signet-Classics/dp/0451465644&tag=ff0d01-20

I read this and William Shirer's 'Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' when I was a teenager. And had nightmares for weeks afterwards. Now I am seeing those nightmares become a reality. With the appointment of the Nazi Bannon to chief advisor, Trump has shown the course he intends to take. Batten down the hatches, boys, a storm is brewing.
15109597_10154875178952089_3222872900017530004_n.jpg

Thanks Joe, I always get a laugh out of the fact that you think calling me a libertarian somehow insults me, I realize that you're too vapid to actually understand anything about libertarianism but the fact that you can't even figure out that calling someone what they self identify as doesn't exactly qualify as witty flame material.

I get a laugh out of how you Libertarians think you are cool because you have a couple of billionaire sugar daddies...

Forum List

Back