Israel's Chance To Lead Humanity

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
this is a letter I've submitted to Haaretz, IMHO the premier Israeli news medium.

i know i'm often tough on Israel over Palestinian rights and what not, but I believe in Israel as a unique nation and in the destiny of Israel to be a world leader. I believe it all starts here and now, with Israel having a historic opportunity to showcase its ability to do much, much more than just fight Palestinian and Arab terrorism. Israel can and should stand up for the slaughtered in Darfur.

Time For Israel To Speak Out About Genocide In Darfur

Israel has been the target of irrational hatred and violence for decades, culminating in the terrorist suicide bombings that robbed hundreds of Israelis of their lives in the past decade. In spite of these struggles, Israel has evolved into a modern, prosperous nation, in a region rife with oppression, corruption and lawlessness. Sadly, terrorism and the perilious road to peace has preoccupied Israel with matters of security recently. Forced to defend itself more often than not in international forums of diplomacy and media, Israel's voice on other matters is drowned out.
This is a tremendous injustice. Israel has the potential to be a formidable advocate of human rights, free trade and open government in troubled times. It is time for that potential to become reality. Israel's voice and support is desperately needed to save lives and stop genocide in Darfur. Darfur's tribes are being exterminated by Sudanese military forces and their militia allies. More than a million lives hang in the balance, with more than 70,000 reportedly already perished. 90% of the genocide survivors are women and children, facing the horrific after effects of rape, extreme violence and famine. Left unheeded, calls for justice and stability in Darfur will allow many more to die and for the triumph of evil to take place, providing Sudan's murderous regime a nightmarish victory.
The desperate cry for help is apparent for those with the moral courage to hear and heed it. Will Israel accept its destiny to become a leader among nations and demand humanity not allow genocide in Darfur any longer? Can Israel come to the aid of the most desperate people on Earth and save them from abandonment by a largely inattentive international community? Why should Israel not take a strong stand against 21st century genocide? Will our children look back on Darfur and see the first time good men made "never again" a reality? For those outraged by Darfur's plight, Israel's answers to these questions could well determine the triumph of humanity in Darfur or the appalling failure of it.

Eddie Beaver (NATO AIR's Civilian Name)
Miami, FL (i've been told from now on to avoid when possible revealing my military status when writing foreign publications)

Nice letter, my hat is off to you.
the problem as you also indicated in your letter is that any israel involvment will be a big handicap. It is the same reason, why israel was not invloved in desert war 1, kosovo..... Even in case of nature disaster in Iran, when israeli experiance to find and retrieve people buried under collapse building would be a significat plus, the offer of help was rejected. As well as during and after beslan situtaion in russia.

drac said:
Nice letter, my hat is off to you.
the problem as you also indicated in your letter is that any israel involvment will be a big handicap. It is the same reason, why israel was not invloved in desert war 1, kosovo..... Even in case of nature disaster in Iran, when israeli experiance to find and retrieve people buried under collapse building would be a significat plus, the offer of help was rejected. As well as during and after beslan situtaion in russia.

well israel did help in kosovo (humanitarian aid, IDF doctors/medical personnel in the refugee camps), Israeli intel on arms shipments the Serbs were getting from Russia, Iraq, Iran and Chechnya)

i think in this particular case it will be a major handicap,but that makes it all the more important anyway, israel intervening to save muslims? wow, that puts a lot of hypocrities and anti-semites in a bind. it would also be a heroic, visionary and brave action by the people of israel, an act i believe that would unify the nation at a time of internal and external crisis.

As I see it, the problem is that the people dying in Darfur are not Muslems. That's the whole point. The Arab Moslems are pushing the non-Moslem Black Africans off the land. It wouldn't be Israel saving Moslems, it would be Israel saving victims of Moslem brutality .. and that's a global problem too great for Israel to take on alone.

I will quote from the Quoran to help explain why the problem is so bad.
Sura 9:73 "Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home: an evil fate."
Sura 4:76 "The true believers fight for the cause of God, butthe infidels fight for the devil. Fight then against the friends of Satan"

As I said ... a more global problem.

just today i had the happy blessing of corresponding with a retired IDF doctor who is planning on leading a medical team of 14 retired nurses and medics (as well as 3 active duty personnel who are being sent with the israeli government's blessing) that will spend 2 months in genocide survivor camps in the border nation of chad.

israelis are making a difference, if only israel could.

Forum List

Back