• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

BookShaka

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Realityville, USA
3CF27520-9070-4F9A-A812-857170CC8F1D.jpeg

I don’t believe it was meant to be racist. I think the artist depicted her in caricature-like format, in which facial features are greatly exaggerated and the racist left thinks it’s racist just bc it shows an unflattering portrayal of a black woman, and we can’t have that...

No it's not racist. But it's an incredibly unflattering picture and many athletes argue like she did. So I can understand why people would be upset.

No it's not racist. But it's an incredibly unflattering picture and many athletes argue like she did. So I can understand why people would be upset.

It’s obvious the artist thinks she was in the wrong so maybe that’s why he doesn’t think there is anything wrong with the cartoon.

Ask yourself a question; Is it criticizing a minority?

Under the new rules of discourse introduced during the Obama presidency, if the answer is. . . . "yes," then, there you go, you have your answer.

From CNN article NOT labeled “Opinion” - Racist Serena Williams cartoon 'nothing to do with race,' paper says — CNN

“The cartoon showed Williams jumping up and down next to a broken racket and pacifier, with large, exaggerated lips and nose reminiscent of racist depictions of black people in the US during the Jim Crow era.
Williams' opponent, Japan's Naomi Osaka, is depicted as a skinny blonde woman, to whom the umpire is saying: ‘Can't you just let her win?’
The US-based National Association of Black Journalists said the cartoon was ‘repugnant on many levels.’
‘(It) not only exudes racist, sexist caricatures of both women, but Williams' depiction is unnecessarily sambo-like,’ the group said in a statement. ‘The art of editorial cartooning is a visual dialogue on the issues of the day, yet this cartoon grossly inaccurately depicts two women of color at the US Open, one of the grandest stages of professional sports.’”

Pro atheletes are entertainers no more no less. Entertainers who whine, cry and excuse themselves are soon less and less entertaining. The caricature displayed above is a good representation of the less than attractive side of an entitled, spoiled 36 year old brat.

A caricature is a picture that exaggerates the actual physical traits of the subject. A good caricature is one that is clearly a picture of the subject, yet makes them look funny.

It is not possible to caricature a Negro without exaggerating the lips and nose. With Serena, her ridiculous clothes - self-designed, I understand - also are ripe for caricature.

Serena's behavior at the U.S. Open final richly deserved to be made fun of, but no U.S. outlet would have the balls to do it.

The odd thing about the picture is that Osaka is portrayed with strait blonde hair. She is also a sort of mulatto with negroid features.

The picture isn’t overtly racist, but it’s not a surprise that some might assume that it’s racist.

Can’t really say one way or the other without knowing the artist.

Ask yourself a question; Is it criticizing a minority?

Under the new rules of discourse introduced during the Obama presidency, if the answer is. . . . "yes," then, there you go, you have your answer.

I go by the definition of “racism” to determine if something is racist. Racist lefties don’t realize how their outrage over the fact a black person was portrayed less than ideally is evidence of THEIR racism.

It’s obvious the artist thinks she was in the wrong so maybe that’s why he doesn’t think there is anything wrong with the cartoon.

I don't think she was in the wrong for complaining to the ref. No issue there. My issue is her insistence during the match of a sexism. Her opponent was also female and was being held to the same conditions, so it was a fair match.

The picture isn’t overtly racist, but it’s not a surprise that some might assume that it’s racist.

Can’t really say one way or the other without knowing the artist.

Hit the nail on the head. We don't know unless we know the artist and this person's intentions. I change my answer to this.

View attachment 215899

I don’t believe it was meant to be racist. I think the artist depicted her in caricature-like format, in which facial features are greatly exaggerated and the racist left thinks it’s racist just bc it shows an unflattering portrayal of a black woman, and we can’t have that...
Nah, its not racist-- they are just playing on the fact they feel she is fat, ugly with big lips and a savage temper...It would have been a better picture if they drew the young lady she lost against instead of the white woman in the pic tho.

View attachment 215899

If you have time ask......

View attachment 215899

In subject matter, I would say no

The facial depiction of a black woman with huge lips reminds me of Sambo

Forum List

Back