Is There Any Way To Help Suicidal People?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I was out today and I just got a message from somebody saying that they were going to kill themselves tonight and I didn't get back in time. This makes the second person that I couldn't save from ending their lives as I lost somebody else close to me a few years ago. I know it isn't my fault, but I still feel so helpless. :(

Give them love, PUBLICLY. Make them feel wanted EVERYWHERE not just privately.
Talk to them about their life and don't inject your own hardships thereby minimizing their current feelings.
Most importantly is to LISTEN WITHOUT REBUTTALS.

And I did all of that to both of them that I lost,.. but it appears as I didn't do a good enough job of it. :(

I was out today and I just got a message from somebody saying that they were going to kill themselves tonight and I didn't get back in time. This makes the second person that I couldn't save from ending their lives as I lost somebody else close to me a few years ago. I know it isn't my fault, but I still feel so helpless. :(
Lives destroyed?

Sounds like whoever that is wants to make an emotional hostage out of you. I would have told them "You don't have enough balls to kill yourself."

:laughing0301:

There's only so much you can do. The decision to kill oneself lies in that person alone.

I know a guy who killed himself within the past ten years. I was perhaps one of the last guys he turned to. Gave him some safe haven and got him involved in my local church. But he still had to deal with his demons his destructive and negative attributes and there was nothing I could realistically do to control and stop that.

What do you mean by that?

How would that work? And I don't think it's really a joking matter. :( (No offense or anything though.)

Well ok. I'm not Dr. Phil and that probably wasn't the best advice.

I had an alcoholic girlfriend back when I lived in Texas. She also had chronic depression. One time she found the .44 magnum pistol I had and one round of ammunition. She locked herself in the bathroom and was threatening to kill herself. I lived in an apartment then and had she figured out how to load it, that round would have gone clean through the next apartment, possibly hitting someone. I ended up kicking in the bathroom door so could take it away from her.

Another time she locked her self in there with a can of charcoal lighter fluid and a lighter, threatening to kill herself. I told her "You don't have the ball to do that", and she did catch herself on fire a little. Once again, I had to kick the door down and put her out. Didn't hurt her much though, just some minor first degree burns.

There's only so much you can do. The decision to kill oneself lies in that person alone.

I know a guy who killed himself within the past ten years. I was perhaps one of the last guys he turned to. Gave him some safe haven and got him involved in my local church. But he still had to deal with his demons his destructive and negative attributes and there was nothing I could realistically do to control and stop that.

So, you mean that they finally went through with it?

Lockdowns and the destruction of small businesses?

I'm afraid that I still don't understand. ;/

Bipolar, depressive disorder are very destructive diseases. With some people the thought of suicide is on their minds most of their lives and it is a constant daily fight to stay alive. People with these diseases are very dangerous to themselves and they rationally believe the world would be better off with out them.

The stigma placed on them by society works to silence them and make themselves feel ashamed for thinking that way and it can spur a person to suicide. It is a 24/7 365 fight and it is a terrible end to so many creative and great people.

I have no answers and I am sorry you lost a friend to suicide, it is very tough overcome the thoughts.

And I did all of that to both of them that I lost,.. but it appears as I didn't do a good enough job of it. :(
The decision and answer don't lie with you, they lie with the person who is contemplating suicide and the mind can be a treacherous place. Hideous disease.

Don't ever accept accountability for your friends who harm themselves. This is not at all about you.

Thank you, I just wish there was something I could have done as this is the second time it happened and btw, I won't say who, as I wasn't going to go in details at all,.. but the other one I lost was a family member and I'll just leave it at that since I don't want to share too many personal details.

Thank you, I just wish there was something I could have done as this is the second time it happened and btw, I won't say who, as I wasn't going to go in details at all,.. but the other one I lost was a family member and I'll just leave it at that since I don't want to share too many personal details.
You didn't cause the trauma that made these people want to end their lives. You don't own it.

Forum List

Back