Is There Any Way To Help Suicidal People?

Try not to fault yourself. There isn't always something you can do. Sometimes the specific motivators that would keep a person around are opportunities and people that really don't have anything to do with you, people having regrets about doing or not doing certain things.

Well thank you but hopefully my one friend is still alive and continuing to talk to people about it since he never actually went through with it when I last spoke to him. (Obviously) He was just contemplating it.

I was out today and I just got a message from somebody saying that they were going to kill themselves tonight and I didn't get back in time. This makes the second person that I couldn't save from ending their lives as I lost somebody else close to me a few years ago. I know it isn't my fault, but I still feel so helpless. :(
Very sad. RIP.

Thank you for trying to help people in Depression.

Fear of Afterlife is also an important factor in preventing Suicide.

Yeah well the person written in the OP is currently still alive as he didn't actually go through with it. My family member was lost a few years ago to it though. :(
Thank you for sharing.

I never thought of suicide.

I have had terrible fear of death.

I never thought of suicide. I have had terrible fear of death.

Too bad. That is how they control you--- Fear. I'm fully capable of suicide if I wanted to, I have no fear of death or anything, I learned that a long time ago. Fear is the crusher of the soul.

No, I take that back, there is ONE THING I fear: someone else having greater domain over my life than me!

So long as you are not the FINAL ARBITER of your own fate, others can control your life. I would never commit suicide as an escape from problems (ie depression), but I'd rather end my own life as I see fit on MY terms than to allow myself to be forced through fear or coercion to live a life against my own will, my own God, and my own sensible direction.

Recently, my borough sent me a letter threatening me because I was in violation of some stupid ordinance. Rather than conform or pay the fine, I confronted the codes officer and the council and made them back down.

Before that I was yelled at and threatened at my doctor's office for not wearing a mask. I now have an attorney working on revoking their license to practice medicine in the state.

Where there is a will there is a way. All things are possible if but you only had the inner faith.

The problem with the world today is that for far too long, people with common sense on the right side of issues have been backing down and acquiescing to stupidity. Witness the grand result.

No. Those who commit suicide will suffer for millennia. As a Jew I do not believe they will suffer forever.

People who threaten suicide are mean selfish people who don't give a damn about anyone else and want to dump their anxieties on "friends" and relatives. People who actually commit suicide are the meanest most selfish people in the world who intentionally bourdon family and friends with the ultimate guilt complex. The sooner you let go of he legacy of these selfish idiots the better off you will be.

People who threaten suicide are mean selfish people who don't give a damn about anyone else and want to dump their anxieties on "friends" and relatives. People who actually commit suicide are the meanest most selfish people in the world who intentionally bourdon family and friends with the ultimate guilt complex. The sooner you let go of he legacy of these selfish idiots the better off you will be.
I disagree. These people need help. But in the next life they will suffer.

I agree that people who threaten are awful, but I am not sure about those who actually carry out whatever they do to themselves. In my opinion, it may all depend on why they decide to end their life in the first place.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Well thank you but hopefully my one friend is still alive and continuing to talk to people about it since he never actually went through with it when I last spoke to him. (Obviously) He was just contemplating it.

I think we all have moments at some point where we feel like we'd be better off that way. That is normal, imo. What is concerning is giving serious thought to actually going through with it.

You do realize how wrong that sounds right?

Yeah, if you take it out of context like you did and read nothing else that I said. But I have to laugh at how wrongly and narrowly many people are trying to read into suicide when EVERY PERSON HERE is capable of killing themselves. Don't believe me? Every person has a line they will not cross if pushed far enough. Think about it, suicide is not just depressed people jumping off buildings.
  • What about the people who jumped out of the burning WTC on 9/11 to their deaths? They committed suicide rather than face the heat and flames of the burning building.
  • What about if someone gave you the choice to kill someone else or yourself? I suppose some noble few would take their life rather than kill another, but most would probably say: "Tough luck, Bub, it is me or you." But what if that other person was your mother or child? Who would you kill now?
  • What about parents who sacrifice their lives to save a child in a fire or a car accident?
I could give more and better examples, but you get my point. Every one of us whether we admit it or not have a line they will not cross, I'm just being bluntly honest about it.

Life is a battle and you are in it either to win or not. Everyone has a code of ethics or conduct that beyond some point you simply will not cross. While most people associate suicide with cowardice, fear, hopelessness and depression, people can also take their lives out of some nobility toward a higher cause, to save someone else or to deny an enemy a victory.

Ask yourself: if America were invaded tomorrow and you were captured by the Chinese as a person of vital interest and you were given the choice to surrender and become one of them or to die, would you really join the communists, share secrets with them as a traitor to defeat America and kill other Americans?

Or would you kill yourself to deny them their plan? Throughout history, billions of people have gone into war or died fighting a hopeless cause rather than surrender to forces they were 100% opposed to. There would be no America today without such self-sacrifice.

If you are not willing to die for a cause, then it really isn't a cause to you, and face it, you are already defeated. I just put a brutally honest tip on that spear.

Yeah, if you take it out of context like you did and read nothing else that I said. But I have to laugh at how wrongly and narrowly many people are trying to read into suicide when EVERY PERSON HERE is capable of killing themselves. Don't believe me? Every person has a line they will not cross if pushed far enough. Think about it, suicide is not just depressed people jumping off buildings.
  • What about the people who jumped out of the burning WTC on 9/11 to their deaths? They committed suicide rather than face the heat and flames of the burning building.
  • What about if someone gave you the choice to kill someone else or yourself? I suppose some noble few would take their life rather than kill another, but most would probably say: "Tough luck, Bub, it is me or you." But what if that other person was your mother or child? Who would you kill now?
  • What about parents who sacrifice their lives to save a child in a fire or a car accident?
I could give more and better examples, but you get my point. Every one of us whether we admit it or not have a line they will not cross, I'm just being bluntly honest about it.

Life is a battle and you are in it either to win or not. Everyone has a code of ethics or conduct that beyond some point you simply will not cross. While most people associate suicide with cowardice, fear, hopelessness and depression, people can also take their lives out of some nobility toward a higher cause, to save someone else or to deny an enemy a victory.

Ask yourself: if America were invaded tomorrow and you were captured by the Chinese as a person of vital interest and you were given the choice to surrender and become one of them or to die, would you really join the communists, share secrets with them as a traitor to defeat America and kill other Americans?

Or would you kill yourself to deny them their plan? Throughout history, billions of people have gone into war or died fighting a hopeless cause rather than surrender to forces they were 100% opposed to. There would be America today without such self-sacrifice.

If you are not willing to die for a cause, then it really isn't a cause to you, and face it, you are already defeated. I just put a brutally honest tip on that spear.

True, all good points. I just never really thought of those things as suicide.

You do realize how wrong that sounds right?

One other thought:

I'm glad your friend found the strength to not kill themselves. I wonder if all the pressures of this covid pandemic stuff was a factor. When the time came, they must have either been more afraid of dying than facing their problems or perhaps they found some glimmer of hope in the situation that made them decide to give it one more chance. But fear of dying? I'm more afraid of living with no quality of life.

To anyone who fears death, just remember this:

EVERYONE dies. Every one of us is going to die. In a sense, it has already happened! But maybe you might live another 20 years! Maybe 40 years!

SO WHAT. Just remember, no matter how long or short a person's life, it is still just a blip in the infinity of time.

Just ask yourself of that person who died in 1620, 933 AD or 1861 whether at the age of 36 or 95 where it got them?

Once you're dead, how long you lived matters to no one or nothing. Not even you because there is no you anymore to matter with.

The quality of life is how brightly you burn and how much impact you make while living, not the number of years you just took up oxygen. Some people change history in a day.

And I did all of that to both of them that I lost,.. but it appears as I didn't do a good enough job of it. :(

You did a fine job. They couldn't hear it. That is not your fault. I have lost too many friends to suicide. It is their choice. Yes, I feel guilty. I feel hurt. I also feel pissed off!

You did a fine job. They couldn't hear it. That is not your fault. I have lost too many friends to suicide. It is their choice. Yes, I feel guilty. I feel hurt. I also feel pissed off!

I'm sorry to hear it, but it's also rather difficult to know whether or not they're just doing it for attention or actually considering it since the guy in the OP keeps telling me that he's still debating about it. My family member didn't talk as much before he did it so I'm starting to wonder if my friend's actually serious. Thanks though.

I'm sorry to hear it, but it's also rather difficult to know whether or not they're just doing it for attention or actually considering it since the guy in the OP keeps telling me that he's still debating about it. My family member didn't talk as much before he did it so I'm starting to wonder if my friend's actually serious. Thanks though.

You can only do what is honest for you. Yes, you can let them know you care and that there are options. Yes, you can help them get in touch with professionals who can help them. No, you cannot be there every minute of every day as a security blanket.

Forum List

Back