Is suicide selfish?

My friend has tried to commit suicide in her mother's apartment, because she is about to go to prison for almost murdering her boyfriend out of jealousy.

She is a petite girl who was bullied in school nonstop and will be bullied in prison much more, she is easy to bully.

Does she have the right to commit suicide now that she will soon enter prison, the hell of her life?

Also, does her mother have the right to cry after not teaching her better?

What would you do in my friend's shoes, knowing you will be bullied to death in prison slowly anyways?

How much time is she looking at?

not sure why putting an end to one's life would be cosidered a selfish thing to do. more like tragic ...

being sentenced for a crime is another story - I would try and tell her to make the best of it to straighten out her life - how long is her sentence.

I don't know the length, but even a couple of months should be horrific, I think, she attracts bullies. Plus she will never be able to do her nice little government job ever again.

Many years ago, I was depressed to the point that I considered suicide. The thing that stopped me was that I realized that I would be hurting those that loved me and I was unwilling to do that. So at the time I felt that suicide would be totally selfish because even though I would be ending my pain, i would be causing pain for others. I am not a selfish person....so I'm still alive an kicking. I know I've made a positive difference I there people's lives.

Also, having seriously considered suicide, I do not fear death. I want to live a long life, but I do not fear the coming of death.

not sure why putting an end to one's life would be cosidered a selfish thing to do. more like tragic ...

being sentenced for a crime is another story - I would try and tell her to make the best of it to straighten out her life - how long is her sentence.

I don't know the length, but even a couple of months should be horrific, I think, she attracts bullies. Plus she will never be able to do her nice little government job ever again.
A few months? Goodness I was bullied incessantly in my childhood and could tell you horror stories that would make some peoples hair curl and then married an abuser not mention all of the other tragedies along the way. What will she be giving away if she decides to end it all without living first?

How old is she? How can her mother be responsible if the girl is grown? Of course her mother can cry.

Suicide is horrible for those left behind. I had a best friend to put a gun to her head, and pull the trigger.
It's not something you get over easily.

She is soon 30 years old. I speculate that people's upbringing is what may make them criminals, sometimes.

I agree with that.

My friend has tried to commit suicide in her mother's apartment, because she is about to go to prison for almost murdering her boyfriend out of jealousy.

She is a petite girl who was bullied in school nonstop and will be bullied in prison much more, she is easy to bully.

Does she have the right to commit suicide now that she will soon enter prison, the hell of her life?

What would you do in my friend's shoes, knowing you will be bullied to death in prison slowly anyways?

How much time is she looking at?
I think she would have a permanent black eye both sides and generally messed up daily, she attracts bullies, I don't yet know the details of her sentence, but I doubt if she will keep her sanity longer than a week.

That's a sad story. I have had friends who have committed suicide, and yes I believe it is a selfish act. It is very painful for the friends and family.

This may sound crazy but prison could actually help her. Women in prison aren't always violent bull dykes. They can be non violent and actually protective. Sure she may be changing teams, but it sounds like "normal" life hasn't worked out very well anyway.

She has the 'right' to take her own life. She doesn't have the right to ask you to help her. So don't!

Something in your story doesn't sound right - she's about to go to prison for almost murdering her boyfriend but she's staying in her mothers apartment?

On the other hand, if you're asking can first responders or medical professionals just let her die - I don't know.

A few months? Goodness I was bullied incessantly in my childhood and could tell you horror stories that would make some peoples hair curl and then married an abuser not mention all of the other tragedies along the way. What will she be giving away if she decides to end it all without living first?
I think her logic is that she would not be living in prison but in hell. I could argue that prison is hell to those who attract bullies.

Not to be cruel but who's fault is THAT? She chose to commit a crime and now does not want to face the results of that. That is a cowards way out. Suicide is wrong for ANYONE. ALWAYS.

I think her logic is that she would not be living in prison but in hell. I could argue that prison is hell to those who attract bullies.
Often expectations exceed reality. Prison probably will not be as bad as she thinks.

Hell is the spirit of God being absent with us (unaware generally due to our own sins). Does she have any faith at all?

Not to be cruel but who's fault is THAT? She chose to commit a crime and now does not want to face the results of that. That is a cowards way out. Suicide is wrong for ANYONE. ALWAYS.
I think 30 years ago she would have hanged on a gallow for tempted murder. I think she would prefer that, instead of the endless torture in prison. We're the olden days more merciful?

Often expectations exceed reality. Prison probably will not be as bad as she thinks.
I can see bullies messing her up daily, I would too.

Hell is the spirit of God being absent with us (unaware generally due to our own sins). Does she have any faith at all?
No she is an atheist but I tried to help her mind the Christian way. If she was a Christian, she would probably think that God abandoned her, I think.

I can see bullies messing her up daily, I would too.
She may also learn to stand up for herself in prison.

60 days? Are you kidding me?

No, she will have to seek other employment.

Hopefully someone will stand up for her without ulterior motives, idk.

She should at least try to stand up for herself.

I always stood up for myself, no matter the odds. At times, one loses. This should not be a deterrent.

I had a niqqa cut right in front of me in the chow line. I slung him to the ground so hard, it hurt his right shoulder, and a riot almost ensued.

1 more person didn't really make a difference, it was the idea.

I ain't racist or nuthin', I even had black friends from the hood around.

Things turned racial right quick though.

IDGAF.

Last edited:

I think 30 years ago she would have hanged on a gallow for tempted murder. I think she would prefer that, instead of the endless torture in prison. We're the olden days more merciful?

No she is an atheist but I tried to help her mind the Christian way. If she was a Christian, she would probably think that God abandoned her, I think.
To everything is a purpose, again possibly you can minister to her and pray for her to receive some help by the spirit. (I have known those simple prayers to work wonders in situations I had absolutely no control over)

Forum List

Back