Is Obama Threatening The Supreme Court Justices?

What is the job of the Supreme Court?

Guess I have to answer this one myself....

The Supreme Court has a special role to play in the United States system of government. The Constitution gives it the power to check, if necessary, the actions of the President and Congress. It can tell a President that his actions are not allowed by the Constitution. It can tell Congress that a law it passed violated the U.S. Constitution and is, therefore, no longer a law. It can also tell the government of a state that one of its laws breaks a rule in the Constitution.

The Supreme Court is the final judge in all cases involving laws of Congress, and the highest law of all the Constitution.

Wow, thanks for that.

Now tell me how Reagan's quote, which referred to Roe v Wade, was a Supreme Court decision, and was a clearly matter of constitutional rights; and George Bush's comment, which referred to judgement on the constitutionality of the proposed Protection of Marriage Act; do not fall into the same category.

We are not talking about Reagan or George Bush.... we are talking about a president, Barak Hussein Obama, who is threatening the Supreme Court and trying to render them powerless.

This is unprecedented in American history.

You may not WANT to talk about Reagan or Bush's statements regarding "Judicial Activism" because it total undermines your argument...

But we ARE going to talk about Reagan and Bush's statements regarding "Judicial Activism" because it total undermines your argument!

Like it or not!

:lol:

Wow, thanks for that.

Now tell me how Reagan's quote, which referred to Roe v Wade, was a Supreme Court decision, and was a clearly matter of constitutional rights; and George Bush's comment, which referred to judgement on the constitutionality of the proposed Protection of Marriage Act; do not fall into the same category.

We are not talking about Reagan or George Bush.... we are talking about a president, Barak Hussein Obama, who is threatening the Supreme Court and trying to render them powerless.

This is unprecedented in American history.

You may not WANT to talk about Reagan or Bush's statements regarding "Judicial Activism" because it total undermines your argument...

But we ARE going to talk about Reagan and Bush's statements regarding "Judicial Activism" because it total undermines your argument!

Like it or not!

:lol:

Except Bush and Reagan didn't speak about pending cases.

Carry on, asshat.

we are not talking about reagan or george bush.... We are talking about a president, barak hussein obama, who is threatening the supreme court and trying to render them powerless.

this is unprecedented in american history.

bull... Shit...

Obama is criticizing the court, and making suggestions that sound almost exactly like those of reagan and bush.

What "threat" has been issued exactly in this instance?

Has obama stated he will attempt to prosecute members of the court?
Has he threatened to dissolve the court?
What sort of "retribution" do you believe is implied here?

The answer is obviously "none", which would mean there is no "threat" involved. In order for a "threat" to exist there must be some sort of implied punishment. Since there is not, there is no "threat".

liar.

No.

He’s simply reminding conservatives that when in the past the Court has struck down laws the right approves of – such as laws limiting individual liberty and expanding the power of the state – republicans have whined that those rulings manifested ‘judicial activism’ where judges are ‘legislating from the bench.’ In such cases conservatives further complain that the court has failed to exercise judicial restraint and exhibits disrespect for the will of the people as expressed through their elected representatives.

In order for conservatives to be consistent and avoid hypocrisy, therefore, they’d be required to denounce the striking down of the ACA as well.

Which laws struck down would those be?
No, conservatives object when judges presume to dictate to people what they ought to do, when the people have voted on something. Like California and gay marriage.

Or Maryland and gun control...
WHat the hell are you talking about?

Obama warns justices against 'activism' on health law

President Obama said today he is confident the Supreme Court will uphold his health care law -- and basically warned the justices against striking down the law by practicing what he called "judicial activism."

"I'd just remind conservative commentators that for years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism, or a lack of judicial restraint," Obama said during a joint news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

Obama defined activism by saying "an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted passed law -- well, here's a good example. And I'm pretty confident that this -- this court will recognize that and not take that step."

Obama taking his politics to the SCOTUS?

The case is over...they voted...they know the outcome...Is Obama trying to influence thier decision?

Video in the story...

No.....he's trying be another Trayvan Martin......he wants to be a victim.

President Obama said today he is confident the Supreme Court will uphold his health care law -- and basically warned the justices against striking down the law by practicing what he called "judicial activism."

"I'd just remind conservative commentators that for years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism, or a lack of judicial restraint," Obama said during a joint news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

Obama defined activism by saying "an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted passed law -- well, here's a good example. And I'm pretty confident that this -- this court will recognize that and not take that step."

The case is over...they voted...they know the outcome...Is Obama trying to influence thier decision?

Video in the story...

No.....he's trying be another Trayvan Martin......he wants to be a victim.

I'll buy this too as I'm sure as another poster insinuated that his favs on the court told him to buck up becuase his centerpiece was about to go down in flames.

So he has to set the stage...and WARN the Court to rethink or else.

The Constitution does not give the Supreme Court the power to declare acts of Congress, nor State laws, nor acts of the president unconstitutional. The Supreme Court took that power upon themselves in a famous, perhaps the most famous, case, Marbury v. Madison. In that case the Court just assumed that power and that power is now accepted, some even believing it to be in the Constitution. It was perhaps the first and biggest form of judicial activism.

bull... Shit...

Obama is criticizing the court, and making suggestions that sound almost exactly like those of reagan and bush.

What "threat" has been issued exactly in this instance?

Has obama stated he will attempt to prosecute members of the court?
Has he threatened to dissolve the court?
What sort of "retribution" do you believe is implied here?

The answer is obviously "none", which would mean there is no "threat" involved. In order for a "threat" to exist there must be some sort of implied punishment. Since there is not, there is no "threat".

liar.

Well, that's an answer, I guess.

OK, here, I'll call you a "liar" too...

LIAR!

There ya go. Not that it accomplished much...

I tell you what we can do when obama is kicked to the curb come Nov let's do away with those activist Justices. Is it a deal?

Yep, talking about Judicial Activism when the supreme court is concerned is definitely a new and threatening thing.

That's why Ronald Reagan did it...

We've had too many examples in recent years of courts and judges legislating.They're not interpreting what the law says and whether someone has violated it or not. In too many instances, they have been actually legislating by legal decree what they think the law should be, and that I don't go for.”

- Ronald Reagan

Somehow I dont see the Supreme COurt mentioned in this quote from Reagan. Did you edit that part out?

But wait, there's more:

I will appoint people to the federal bench that will not legislate from the bench.

-George H W Bush

The federal judiciary, including the U.S. Supreme Court, has
overstepped its authority under the Constitution. It has usurped the
right of citizen legislators and popularly elected executives to make
law by declaring duly enacted laws to be “unconstitutional” through
the misapplication of the principle of judicial review.

Excerpt from the 1996 Republican Party official platform

I dont see the Supreme Court mentioned in the quote by Bush. Did you edit that out?
I don't see a presdient mentioned in the platform statement. Did you edit that part out?

And even more:

“[T]he judges ought not to take the place of the legislative
branch of government. . . . I don’t believe in liberal activist
judges. I believe in strict constructionists.”

George W Bush 2000

I support the protection of marriage against activist judges.

George W Bush 2004

I dont see the Supreme Court mentioned in either quote. Did you edit those out?

Video in the story...
Wow!

He clearly has no respect for the three branches, the balance of power, and checks and balances - founding principles, no less.

:eek:

Your comparing apples and bananas

So, all those examples of Conservative presidents criticizing judicial over-reach by the Supreme Court and referring to "Judicial Activism"...

Are somehow different than Obama criticizing judicial over-reach by the Supreme Court and referring to "Judicial Activism"?

Interesting.

Could you cite one example? Just one.

Somehow I dont see the Supreme COurt mentioned in this quote from Reagan. Did you edit that part out?

The quote was specifically referring to a appointment he was making to the supreme court.

The "too many examples in recent years" phrase was in reference to Roe v Wade.

The Constitution does not give the Supreme Court the power to declare acts of Congress, nor State laws, nor acts of the president unconstitutional. The Supreme Court took that power upon themselves in a famous, perhaps the most famous, case, Marbury v. Madison. In that case the Court just assumed that power and that power is now accepted, some even believing it to be in the Constitution. It was perhaps the first and biggest form of judicial activism.

Thank you, Capt Obvious.

Forum List

Back