Is it Time for the Electoral College to Go?

[
The Electoral College protects the minority(small states) by giving each state a voice based on it's population.

You imbecile. The popular vote gives each small state a voice based on its population.

California republican votes alone would total more than the votes of the entire population of my state...plus Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

You are completely lost my man...you should quit while your behind.

We have a federal government system...constitutionally...the sooner you accept that, the happier you'll be.

Are you denying that the popular vote gives each state a voice based on its populaton?

Here it is again...

Nonsense. New Hampshire's 4 electoral votes were canceled out by Rhode Island's 4 electoral votes.

Ok...here you go.

The 2000 Presidential Election.

Bush.............................Gore
--------------------------------

Montana 3.....................D.C. 2
North Dakota 3...............Vermont 3
South Dakota 3...............Delaware 3
Wyoming 3.....................Rhode Island 4
Alaska 3.........................Maine 4
Idaho 4..........................Hawaii 4
Nevada 4........................New Mexico 5
New Hampshire................Iowa 7
Utah 5...........................Oregon 7
Nebraska 5.....................Connecticut 8
West Virginia 5................Maryland 10
Kansas 6........................Minnesota 10
Arkansas 6......................Wisconsin 11
Alabama 7......................Washington 11
Arizona 8.......................Massachusetts 12
Colorado 8......................New Jersey 15
Oklahoma 8.....................Michigan 18
Kentucky 8.....................Illinois 22
South Carolina 8..............Pennsylvania 23
Mississippi 9....................New York 33
Louisiana 9.....................California 54
Missouri 11
Tennessee 11
Indiana 12
Georgia 13
Virginia 13
North Carolina 14
Ohio 21
Florida 25
Texas 32

Does this help make it more clear?

See how the Bush states are only up to 9 while the Gore states have climbed all the way to 33 and 54 electoral votes...

Gore won the popular vote...but not the electoral college.

Now here is where it come right back to federalism and protecting the small states.

The Electoral College divides electoral votes by the number of U.S. Representatives plus Senators each state is allocated.

538 electoral votes, 100 for each Senator and 435 for the Representatives plus 3 for DC via the 23rd Amendment.

That's how the electoral college protects small less populous states from larger more populous states.[/QUOTE]

We understand. The electoral college slightly disenfranchises the voters who happen to reside in states with large populations...

...an action that serves no good purpose other than to disparage the principle of one person one vote.

You imbecile. The popular vote gives each small state a voice based on its population.

California republican votes alone would total more than the votes of the entire population of my state...plus Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

We have a federal government system...constitutionally...the sooner you accept that, the happier you'll be.

Are you denying that the popular vote gives each state a voice based on its populaton?
You just don't get it do you? Each state gets it's say. You win the state by the popular vote, you get those electoral votes. But whether you win by one vote or ten million, you ONLY get the same number of electoral votes.

No bonus points for awesomeness.

This is what protects less populace states from being run over by those heavily populated areas, and the heavily populated areas STILL get proportional representation for their population.

Oddly enough, you never hear, or never heard, from the Right, that Bill Clinton won

BY A LANDSLIDE

in 1992.

The number one rightwing talking point related to that election result was that

Clinton only won 43% of the popular vote!!!!!!!!

The only perspective on those maps is how elections would turn out if dirt voted instead of people.
So much for improving the tone, eh? The truth's a bitch, ain't it?

You're retarded for thinking that map proves something. I've been laughing at that map for 7 years now. The first guy I saw post it was one of the looney moderators over at hannity,

he wasn't much brighter than you are.
Yeah, I remember how dumb as fuck you were over there too. I am actually impressed to see you've grown even dumber since. I guess a few more years of constantly immersing yourself in radical leftwing lies will have an effect over time.

You just don't get it do you? Each state gets it's say. You win the state by the popular vote, you get those electoral votes. But whether you win by one vote or ten million, you ONLY get the same number of electoral votes.

This is what protects less populace states from being run over by those heavily populated areas, and the heavily populated areas STILL get proportional representation for their population.

No, you get 2 electoral votes for each Senator you have. So NY gets 2 electoral votes for the 2 Senators that represent the 20 million or however many people we have in this state,

and Alaska gets the same 2 electoral votes representing 3 Eskimos and a walrus.

Do we need it anymore? Gallup polls have show than the American people prefer Direct Elections for President over the indirect Electoral College.

It used to be necessary, back when we couldn't talk to each other by picking up a phone and we didn't have nationwide 24/7 news coverage.

California just became the latest state to vote to give all their electoral votes to the candidate that wins the popular vote, joining seven other states that have done so.

Is this the beginning of the end for the EC?
No! The arguement is still the same as it was 1789. The large population states will dominate the small states, which would render them almost helpless in picking a president. Who is going to go to North or South Dakota, Vermont, Maine, ect. while campaigning for president? No one, because they will concentrate all their resources on the large states to pile up votes to win. The Electoral College balances this all out and pretty much makes the candidates campaign in just about all the states to gain the edge they need to get elected.

The electoral college doesn't balance it out. That's what's foolish here. The candidates under this system concentrate on winning the biggest states that are in play -

normally Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania maybe, etc., etc. The electoral college system automatically locks in at the very least half of the electoral votes for one candidate or another.

No, you get 2 electoral votes for each Senator you have. So NY gets 2 electoral votes for the 2 Senators that represent the 20 million or however many people we have in this state,

Excuse me? Do you KNOW what an electoral vote is? California has 54.

Fucking idiot.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the primary reason the Right loves the electoral college is that they think it gives Republican candidates an advantage above and beyond their ability to actually get the PEOPLE to vote for them.

Excuse me? Do you KNOW what an electoral vote is? California has 54.

Fucking idiot.

No, they will have 55 because they will have 53 house members plus the 2 Senators.

Every state gets 2 extra votes thus representing their total congressional delegation.

It is NOT proportionate to the population of the states. That's the whole point here. Wake up.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the primary reason the Right loves the electoral college is that they think it gives Republican candidates an advantage above and beyond their ability to actually get the PEOPLE to vote for them.
Well, if we could make sure all your leftwing supporters were actually citizens, alive and real... I guess we'd have less of a problem. :rolleyes:

You do realize the popular vote more often than not mimics precisely the electoral vote, right? Of course, I remember the old mantra "Bush was selected, not elected." Love them sour grapes

Well, if we could make sure all your leftwing supporters were actually citizens, alive and real... I guess we'd have less of a problem. :rolleyes:

You do realize the popular vote more often than not mimics precisely the electoral vote, right? Of course, I remember the old mantra "Bush was selected, not elected." Love them sour grapes

The non-living are the most dependable Democrat voting bloc

Should be posted at every polling place in Chicago.... and philly... and new york..... and....

epic-win-photos-service-denial-win.jpg

[You do realize the popular vote more often than not mimics precisely the electoral vote, right?

I pointed that out about 500 posts ago, not to mention years ago.
Like I go back to read the rantings of a certified fucknut. You're pissing and moaning worse than a 2 dollar whore with the clap over the problems you have with the EC stopping mob rule, I figured you wouldn't know anyway. It's been a fairly accurate assumption for your posts to assume you're clueless anyway.

Last edited:

don't forget dogs, cats & ex felons...

No it's not time to dismantle the Republic further. It's time for us to Restore the Republic. We have seen the corruption of the past 100 years due to the 17th amendment eliminating the states check on the Federal Government. Eliminating the EC will have the same effect.

Forum List

Back