Is it ethical to ask people to work?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Most teachers, plus most baby boomers, emphasize the importance of working. Why is that? We know from numbers, that these people don't want to work, but instead, they focus their lives around various annuities, such as 401k plans, IRA accounts, union pensions, state pensions, and so on. So, here is the question, why is it a good idea for us to work, but not them? I don't understand.

Most teachers, plus most baby boomers, emphasize the importance of working. Why is that? We know from numbers, that these people don't want to work, but instead, they focus their lives around various annuities, such as 401k plans, IRA accounts, union pensions, state pensions, and so on. So, here is the question, why is it a good idea for us to work, but not them? I don't understand.

Absolutely! We should all work toward a society wherein everyone works until they drop. And if you happen to get ill or become to elderly to work, then you should be put down immediately.

It's wrong, and it's far worse these days to expect people to work when we don't produce. Work without production progressively devalues money and therefore makes us poorer.

We are literally working backwards against ourselves. "Consumer economy"

It's wrong, and it's far worse these days to expect people to work when we don't produce. Work without production progressively devalues money and therefore makes us poorer.

As a society we bought into mass consumption as a life style. It worked for a while, but we don't produce anymore. Wealth generation is totaly disconnected from production here anymore.

As a society we bought into mass consumption as a life style. It worked for a while, but we don't produce anymore. Wealth generation is totaly disconnected from production here anymore.
It's creating a massive bubble.

And the power structure/political system fully understanding this, is vested in wringing as much out of society as they can before the whole thing goes tits up.

And the power structure/political system fully understanding this, is vested in wringing as much out of society as they can before the whole thing goes tits up.

Yep and we are on the verge of just that scenario and it's coming sooner than people think. I will be surprised if it doesn't happen just before the election.

Yep and we are on the verge of just that scenario and it's coming sooner than people think. I will be surprised if it doesn't happen just before the election.

Gatherings around the conventions could get interesting.

Using the theme of your Title of your Thread, I ask, 'would it be ethical to NOT ask people to do their work properly?'

Using the theme of your Title of your Thread, I ask, 'would it be ethical to NOT ask people to do their work properly?'
This is a very interesting question. I think the answer is about shareholder value, and that is dependent on not only the correctness of the work but the price of it too, which shareholders never want to pay. I think this is like the triangular saying, which goes like "I am such and such and I work well, fast, and cheap, the customer can choose two of these three". Shareholders will never choose the "well".

Forum List

Back