Internet ID for Americans

Granny says dey gonna have to pry her computer outta her cold, dead hands...
:eek:
A battle for Internet freedom as UN meeting nears
June 22, 2012 WASHINGTON (AP) — Secret negotiations among dozens of countries preparing for a United Nations summit could lead to changes in a global treaty that would diminish the Internet's role in economic growth and restrict the free flow of information.
The U.S. delegation to the World Conference on International Telecommunications to be held in Dubai in December has vowed to block any proposals from Russia and other countries that they believe threaten the Internet's current governing structure or give tacit approval to online censorship. But those assurances have failed to ease fears that bureaucratic tinkering with the treaty could damage the world's most powerful engine for exchanging information, creating jobs and even launching revolutions, according to legal experts and civil liberties advocates who have been tracking the discussions. Social networks played a key role in the Arab Spring uprisings that last year upended regimes in Egypt and Tunisia.

Russia, for example, has proposed language that requires member states to ensure the public has unrestricted access and use of international telecommunication services "except in cases where international telecommunication services are used for the purpose of interfering in the internal affairs or undermining the sovereignty, national security, territorial integrity and public safety of other states, or to divulge information of a sensitive nature," according to a May 3 U.N. document that details the various proposals for amending the treaty. The wording of this provision could allow a country to cite a U.N. treaty as the basis for repressing political opposition. The provision also appears to contradict Article 19 of the U.N. Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which says people shall have the right to access information "through any media and regardless of frontiers."

An amended treaty would be binding on the United States if it is ratified by the Senate. But approval is not automatic. The treaty is sure to be scrutinized by lawmakers wary of its potential impact. The U.N.'s International Telecommunication Union, which oversees the treaty, does not operate like the U.N. Security Council, where the United States has the power to veto resolutions to which it objects. The ITU works on a consensus basis. Proposals can be stopped from serious consideration if enough countries voice their objections. More than 190 nations will attend the Dubai conference and the U.S. delegation is seeking support for its positions at the preparatory meetings that will continue until the conference convenes.

"It is important that when we have values, as we do in the area of free speech and the free flow of information, that we do everything that we can to articulate and sustain those values," Philip Verveer, deputy assistant secretary of state and U.S. coordinator for international communications and information policy, said in an interview. The drafting and debating of proposals in preparation for the Dubai conference have taken place largely behind closed doors. Public interest groups have criticized the process and said it runs counter to development of sound public policy. In response to calls for transparency, two research fellows at George Mason University's Mercatus Center launched the website WCITLeaks.org earlier this month as a way to make documents that have been leaked to them by anonymous sources available publicly.

MORE

1. "STANFORD, Calif.--President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for Americans, a White House official said here today.

2. "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said

3. ... privacy and civil-liberties groups that have raised concerns in the past over the dual roles of police and intelligence agencies.

4. The Obama administration is currently drafting what it's calling the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace,...

5. "We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system.

6. ...reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."

7. Details about the "trusted identity" project are remarkably scarce.

8. ...anonymity and pseudonymity will remain possible on the Internet..."
Obama Eyeing Internet ID for Americans - Tech Talk - CBS News

Ya' know, it this was anybody else but Obama...I might not trust 'em...

But, it's Barak...so I know everything will be on the up and up!

its ironic that the same people who want legal voters to not get to vote because they don't have ID are in favor of identity theft being easy.

The system is VOLUNTARY for crissakes. Go put on your aluminum hat.

That's the problem with defending the indefensible. Lefties can't play chess apparently. They only see the current move.

VOLUNTARY is a red herring. The next step is for the DEMS to require an ID for access to all GOVT websites and the REPS to require it for all access to Adult Sites. Who would object to that eh?

There is no sense of self-preservation in the leftist world. It's some kind of genetic defect.

Short of having a fingerprint or retina scan entry module, I don't see how this could really work, and then it could still be fudged.

You might be surprised what even John Q Public can find out even now, given a little homework-

What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...

There really is no anonymity on the web if someone wants to know.

Probably the same way NIC's work.

And sure there is..it's not easy to find out your identify with those tools.

Last edited:
1. "STANFORD, Calif.--President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for Americans, a White House official said here today.

2. "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said

3. ... privacy and civil-liberties groups that have raised concerns in the past over the dual roles of police and intelligence agencies.

4. The Obama administration is currently drafting what it's calling the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace,...

5. "We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system.

6. ...reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."

its ironic that the same people who want legal voters to not get to vote because they don't have ID are in favor of identity theft being easy.

Poo...

....can you name a few of those "people who want legal voters to not get to vote..."?

No?

Not ever one?

Never believed you could.....

The less perceptive don't seem to ever realize that fabrications weaken their position....

Poo...

....can you name a few of those "people who want legal voters to not get to vote..."?

No?

Not ever one?

The less perceptive don't seem to ever realize that fabrications weaken their position....

Govenor Rick Scott.

Both sides of the political spectrum need to get their paws off of the internet. It is the single biggest factror in changing the world today, and should be left as free as possible.

The freedom of the net is a threat to the powers that be! Bloggers and social sites like Facebook and Twitter have the potential to bring down a CEO or a politican faster then ever, with little or no time for damage control.

Who, exactly, do you think invented and put up all the infrastructure for the thing you call the internet?

Gosh..pick up a book..every now an then.

Both sides of the political spectrum need to get their paws off of the internet. It is the single biggest factror in changing the world today, and should be left as free as possible.

The freedom of the net is a threat to the powers that be! Bloggers and social sites like Facebook and Twitter have the potential to bring down a CEO or a politican faster then ever, with little or no time for damage control.

Who, exactly, do you think invented and put up all the infrastructure for the thing you call the internet?

I've been on the InterNet since the DarpaNet.. On one of those green screen Tektronix monitors. What we have now IS NOT even similiar. Nor is it the result of great govt prowess. (Nor is it driven by Bill Gates for that matter.)

Regardless -- does not give govt the right to request ID for accessing it. Voluntary my ass.
Within 2 years EITHER party will REQUIRE it for certain access. Want to file a Tax Return? Want to fill out a FAFSA? Want to email your CongressCritter or check your Universal Healthcare Account? Just TRY to avoid it.....
:cool:

Last edited:

I've been on the InterNet since the DarpaNet.. On one of those green screen Tektronix monitors. What we have now IS NOT even similiar. Nor is it the result of great govt prowess. (Nor is it driven by Bill Gates for that matter.)

Regardless -- does not give govt the right to request ID for accessing it. Voluntary my ass.
Within 2 years EITHER party will REQUIRE it for certain access. Want to file a Tax Return? Want to fill out a FAFSA? Just TRY to avoid it.....

Of course it isn't.

But it was basically Bell Labs, the Military and Berkley that "invented" the internet. And all with government funding.

And this "ID" thing is probably a way of simplifying access to secure websites. Not a way to "track" you.

By the way..your web usage is tracked by private companies by use of "cookies" in your browser.

Seems most people to have a care about that. And it's far more dangerous.

Pick up a copy of the Constitution and tell me where it says the government has a right to monitor my Internet activity.

Within 2 years EITHER party will REQUIRE it for certain access. Want to file a Tax Return? Want to fill out a FAFSA? Just TRY to avoid it.....

Of course it isn't.

But it was basically Bell Labs, the Military and Berkley that "invented" the internet. And all with government funding.

And this "ID" thing is probably a way of simplifying access to secure websites. Not a way to "track" you.

By the way..your web usage is tracked by private companies by use of "cookies" in your browser.

Got news for you.. The guys at Bell Labs, Berkley, BBN et al had ALREADY considered the concept of packetized networks.. Was a matter of time and funding. So Al Gore wrote a check (I guess). But I spent 10 years of my flying to DC to offer DARPA all kinds of technology that we could offer. And if THEY didn't buy it -- someone else would have..

I'm not arguing about the support and wisdom for THOSE kind of investments. I'd LOVE to see more R&D and less candy.

There's this convienient button to disable cookies, built-in cookie mgrs in many AVirus progs, and tools to manage the tags.. THey can be a GOOD thing as well.

But I seriously doubt that cookies are as dangerous as a well armed nuclear equipped adversary that has been known to harbor political grudges...

Poo...

No?

Not ever one?

The One would be me. My entire life I have witnessed murkins who are completely incapable of critical thought and the importance of their votes.
"My granpappy were ______ and I is too."OOOOO Britney gots here soma them thar new titties !!!!"
More than any country on Earth, murka needs a dictatorship.

Pick up a copy of the Constitution and tell me where it says the government has a right to monitor my Internet activity.

The Constitution makes no reference to the internet..or email..or anything electronic.

Of course it isn't.

Got news for you.. The guys at Bell Labs, Berkley, BBN et al had ALREADY considered the concept of packetized networks.. Was a matter of time and funding. So Al Gore wrote a check (I guess). But I spent 10 years of my flying to DC to offer DARPA all kinds of technology that we could offer. And if THEY didn't buy it -- someone else would have..

I'm not arguing about the support and wisdom for THOSE kind of investments. I'd LOVE to see more R&D and less candy.

There's this convienient button to disable cookies, built-in cookie mgrs in many AVirus progs, and tools to manage the tags.. THey can be a GOOD thing as well.

But I seriously doubt that cookies are as dangerous as a well armed nuclear equipped adversary that has been known to harbor political grudges...

You carry around a cell phone?

Well that also tracks you.

Gets introduced into evidence at trials all the time.

Don't see what the dustup here is.

Personally...I think this sort of thing should be used for voting..and that you should be able to vote at home.

Of course it isn't.

You carry around a cell phone?

Well that also tracks you.

Gets introduced into evidence at trials all the time.

Don't see what the dustup here is.

Personally...I think this sort of thing should be used for voting..and that you should be able to vote at home.

Cell phone doesn't "track me" very well if it's not GPS equipped.. Hence the 911 problem.. And you STILL need a tap to track a GPS equipped one anyway. Private citizens don't have access to that type of ability unless they agree to use a "finder" app. So my ONLY problem is with GOVERNMENT abuse of that capability. If you have an INTERNET ID -- the abuse can come from ANYWHERE.. Maybe even from "board buddies" at USMB.. Because the stated purpose of such an ID is to insure proper identification for random internet purchases and transactions.. Not exactly a SECURE environment -- even for current "secured" purchases and transactions.

Yes, I'm sure the government would go through all the trouble and financial burden of creating a secure online ID system -simply to give people a way to consolidate all their passwords-. That's totally plausible.

You gotta be fucking kidding me. People will believe any God damn thing these days. This is the sort of shameful shit that almost makes me wish I could denounce my humanity and opt out of this dipshit species.

I also think it's more dangerous to have the government tracking my internet usage than private companies. Those companies, by en large, are trying to figure out what sort of advertisement popups to blast me with to get the best potential return on investment, and given the profit motive of any given corporation, that's about the most inconvenient thing they could conceivably have enough of an interest in doing to me via internet tracking that I might actually have to worry about it.

Politicians, however. . . I personally believe that there's a lot of politicians out there from any given school of political/philosophical thought that, if given the opportunity to use the force of government and law to silence people they disagree with, would do so in a heart beat. The government, in particular, engaging in this sort of tracking offers, in my opinion, the greatest likelihood for and potential severity of misuse. It certainly offers potential for misuse in far greater supply than it offers potential for benefit.

It's called an IP address you twat.

Like if I got an IP ban from this site, I wouldn't be able to access it under my IP anymore.
But the infrastructure of the internet always changes, so you can spoof your IP and whatnot. (mainly to fight censorship and get around blocks/bans)

an "Internet ID" won't happen because it's not possible.

Like if I got an IP ban from this site, I wouldn't be able to access it under my IP anymore.
But the infrastructure of the internet always changes, so you can spoof your IP and whatnot. (mainly to fight censorship and get around blocks/bans)

"I can't think of any way they could pull it off effectively, so no worries if the current regime is cooking up tracking schemes."

And -I'm- the twat :clap2:

Nooooo.. WILL NEVER HAPPEN.. Just like the promise that your Soc Sec number would ONLY ever be used for that one purpose...

I'm with Not2BSubjugated, we're too stupid and gullible to deserve the keys to this country..

Last edited:

Forum List

Back