Chinese-American-Chinese athletes competing for China in the Olympics

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
I mean, what the hell?

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — Two American-born athletes competing for China. Two radically different reactions from Chinese social media to their performances at the Winter Olympics.

As freestyle skier Eileen Gu won her gold medal in the big air competition on Tuesday, praise for the San Franciscan quite literally overwhelmed the Chinese internet.

Sina Weibo, the massive social network that is similar to Twitter, found its servers temporarily overloaded, according to Chinese media. Of the top 10 trending topics on the platform, five were dedicated to adoration for the 18-year-old champion.
“Gu Ailing is a genius young woman right?” was one trending topic, referencing her Chinese name.

“Dad was Harvard, Mom was Peking University, Stanford, Grandmother was an athlete. She’s beautiful and classy,” said one post recirculated 86,000 times.

It was a stark contrast to the reception received by another U.S.-born athlete competing for China, figure skater Zhu Yi, who a few days prior came under attack on social media after she crashed into a wall during the team event. Zhu finished last in the short program and China placed fifth in the competition, which was won by the Russian team, with the U.S. taking silver and Japan bronze.

Weibo said it had suspended 93 accounts and deleted 300 abusive posts about the Olympian, who was born in California to Chinese parents and won a U.S. national novice title as Beverly Zhu. Messages mocked her for falling while others criticized her for not being fluent in Chinese.

I don't really care who fell on the ice and who skied like a boss. I sure am not going to get in a twist about how Chinese Twitter treats those women. Plenty of people in China are suffering far worse than being insulted over social media as I type this. I don't get how Americans, whose parents could have told them what life in China is like, decide that they wannabe Chinese for the purpose of the playing in the Winter Olympics.

We had no business sending athletes to that totalitarian nightmare state in the first place.

Eileen Gu's Gold Medal for China Sparks Controversy Young and talented but naive. I judge that by her quote in this article. Her life will not be the same from now on. Her decision will have consequences that will affect her life. Sometimes you have to make decisions on how it affects others and what is going on in the world . Not just how it will make you feel at the moment.

I mean, what the hell?

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — Two American-born athletes competing for China. Two radically different reactions from Chinese social media to their performances at the Winter Olympics.

As freestyle skier Eileen Gu won her gold medal in the big air competition on Tuesday, praise for the San Franciscan quite literally overwhelmed the Chinese internet.

Sina Weibo, the massive social network that is similar to Twitter, found its servers temporarily overloaded, according to Chinese media. Of the top 10 trending topics on the platform, five were dedicated to adoration for the 18-year-old champion.
“Gu Ailing is a genius young woman right?” was one trending topic, referencing her Chinese name.

“Dad was Harvard, Mom was Peking University, Stanford, Grandmother was an athlete. She’s beautiful and classy,” said one post recirculated 86,000 times.

It was a stark contrast to the reception received by another U.S.-born athlete competing for China, figure skater Zhu Yi, who a few days prior came under attack on social media after she crashed into a wall during the team event. Zhu finished last in the short program and China placed fifth in the competition, which was won by the Russian team, with the U.S. taking silver and Japan bronze.

Weibo said it had suspended 93 accounts and deleted 300 abusive posts about the Olympian, who was born in California to Chinese parents and won a U.S. national novice title as Beverly Zhu. Messages mocked her for falling while others criticized her for not being fluent in Chinese.

I don't really care who fell on the ice and who skied like a boss. I sure am not going to get in a twist about how Chinese Twitter treats those women. Plenty of people in China are suffering far worse than being insulted over social media as I type this. I don't get how Americans, whose parents could have told them what life in China is like, decide that they wannabe Chinese for the purpose of the playing in the Winter Olympics.

We had no business sending athletes to that totalitarian nightmare state in the first place.
China has been sending their people here to spy and to manipulate.....who is to say that both of the atletes parents aren't really still CHINESE CHINESE in their heart or that their kids still aren't loyal to China over the US. Raised in communist america hating california and other lib control areas to parents not supportive to the US--and viola kids that aren't loyal to the US either.

China has been sending their people here to spy and to manipulate.....who is to say that both of the atletes parents aren't really still CHINESE CHINESE in their heart or that their kids still aren't loyal to China over the US. Raised in communist america hating california and other lib control areas to parents not supportive to the US--and viola kids that aren't loyal to the US either.
I think that is a big part of it. Texans who were born in Asian communist countries don’t hesitate to say how bad it was over there, and how good they have it here. But with California-eye-ay trying their hardest to be as communist as possible, those Cali Kids may not realize that there is a difference.

Clearly a mistake of youth.

I also have to wonder if they were cynically thinking that the CCP would surely cheat for Chinese athletes and maybe more so for American expats.

At least on of the women renounced their US citizenship

They should never get it back after they change their minds

and they will want US citizenship someday

I mean, what the hell?

Too bad. However I am not watching the Genocide Olympics.

Forum List

Back