Interesting facts about history that are somehow NOT well known

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
I'll start with the Civil War and related matters.

Lincoln was not a saint. He violated the US Constitution, suspending habeus corpus and other laws. He didn't tolerate anyone disagreeing with him RE the war.

But here is something nearly no one knows, or at least no one here at the board seems to know:

the South had a Constitutional right to secede. I don't like the reason they gave (slavery) but they had that right.

When our govt was set up, the federal govt (though not as we know it today :eek:) was hashed out... finally agreed upon and then ratified by the states.

Would the signers have signed if they'd known that their state rights were going to be ripped away from them decades later during the civil war?

OIP.10-jtOy5uSzd5lXeTjCfUgHaGX

I used to love Lincoln

read every book I could find on him. But one book told the truth the other ones did not seem to want to touch, namely that he was a tyrant

often

I hear his ghost inhabits the White House

We don't hear about briben seeing his ghost. I think even the tyrant had to move on from that vile scene

Lincoln was not a saint. He violated the US Constitution, suspending habeus corpus and other laws. He didn't tolerate anyone disagreeing with him RE the war.

But here is something nearly no one knows, or at least no one here at the board seems to know:

the South had a Constitutional right to secede. I don't like the reason they gave (slavery) but they had that right.

When our govt was set up, the federal govt (though not as we know it today :eek:) was hashed out... finally agreed upon and then ratified by the states.

Would the signers have signed if they'd known that their state rights were going to be ripped away from them decades later during the civil war?
Where in the Constitution does it say you can secede?
There are rules on a state joining the union but nothing saying you can withdraw

What are the rules?
How do you handle federal assets?
How do you allocate debt?

Last edited:
Where in the Constitution does it say you can secede?
There are rules on a state joining the union but nothing saying you can withdraw?

What are the rules?
How do you handle federal assets?
How do you allocate debt?
not necessary

If the states had to agree and ratify, they can obviously DE=ratify if the fed gov is not right

and it is more NOT right than ever in history

not necessary

If the states had to agree and ratify, they can obviously DE=ratify if the fed gov is not right

and it is more NOT right than ever in history

Think of the US as “One Nation, under God, Indivisible”

Once you join, you lose your individual sovereignty
You don’t get to take your ball and go home

I disagree.

"There is a natural right, which is reserved by all men, and which cannot be given to any Government, and no Government can take it away. It is the natural right of a people to form a Government for their mutual protection, for the promotion of their mutual welfare, and for such other purposes as they may deem most conducive to their mutual happiness and prosperity; but if for any cause the Government so formed should become inimical to the rights and interests of the people, instead of affording protection to their persons and property, and securing the happiness and prosperity, to attain which it was established, it is the natural right of the people to change the Government regardless of Constitutions."

Unfortunately, for them one of the aspects of the Natural right of the people was to own other people as property........

Lincoln understood that desperate times call for desperate measures. He was willing to do what was necessary to preserve the union

Wilson breached the Constitution during WWI, FDR did it in WWII

correct!

Forum List

Back