Instead of Demanding Student Loan Forgiveness, Why Don't Liberals Demand Price Controls on College Tuition?

I find it odd that liberals want the federal government to forgive/cancel student loan debt but never say anything about controlling the skyrocketing cost of college tuition. I guess since most universities are run by liberals, liberals don't want to rock their boat and spoil their gravy train. Rather, they want the rest of us to foot the bill for students who don't want to pay back their student loans.

What else do you propose the government place price controls on? The rising costs of housing? Rent? Cell phones? Cars? CEO pay?

We have to bail out business all the time, why not controls to address this?
Democrats are bailing out Blue states that suck at business.

All states are getting them.
Not near the same amounts. Stop lying.

I find it odd that liberals want the federal government to forgive/cancel student loan debt but never say anything about controlling the skyrocketing cost of college tuition. I guess since most universities are run by liberals, liberals don't want to rock their boat and spoil their gravy train. Rather, they want the rest of us to foot the bill for students who don't want to pay back their student loans.

The party of free shit can't change it up.
Repubs love free shit too. When has a military spending increase been paid for?

What else do you propose the government place price controls on? The rising costs of housing? Rent? Cell phones? Cars? CEO pay?

Bigger states will get more. All the same.....quit moving your argument.

Which of those things are people suggesting that the government forgive/cancel people's debt on? Should I be able to go and choose any car I like, drive it for 5 years and then decide I don't want to pay for it and have the government cancel my loan? Can I buy a house and decide that I'm tired of paying the loan but want to keep the benefit of having the house and expect daddy government to clear my debt?

GM still owes the taxpayers billions. The banks who made bad loans still owe the taxpayers billions.
You should save your whataboutism and just answer the questions. If you want to talk about business bailouts then start a thread on them. If you wish to equate placing price controls on housing prices, rents, car prices, cell phones and employee compensation with looking at price of college tuition then you need to answer as to why individual students who took out those loans and are the sole beneficiaries of the degrees they hold should get their debt canceled by taxpayers while people who took on any other type of debt shouldn't.

I am not moving anything, Blue states are being bailed out. But you go ahead and prove what you have said for the Hell of it.

Which of those things are people suggesting that the government forgive/cancel people's debt on? Should I be able to go and choose any car I like, drive it for 5 years and then decide I don't want to pay for it and have the government cancel my loan? Can I buy a house and decide that I'm tired of paying the loan but want to keep the benefit of having the house and expect daddy government to clear my debt?

GM still owes the taxpayers billions. The banks who made bad loans still owe the taxpayers billions.
You should save your whataboutism and just answer the questions. If you want to talk about business bailouts then start a thread on them. If you wish to equate placing price controls on housing prices, rents, car prices, cell phones and employee compensation with looking at price of college tuition then you need to answer as to why individual students who took out those loans and are the sole beneficiaries of the degrees they hold should get their debt canceled by taxpayers while people who took on any other type of debt shouldn't.

I get it. You are hypocritical on what you want supported by the government and what you don't.

Banks, good. Colleges, bad.

I am not moving anything, Blue states are being bailed out. But you go ahead and prove what you have said for the Hell of it.

All states are getting bailed out.

All states are getting bailed out.
The failed states benefit from bad behavior.

I get it. You are hypocritical on what you want supported by the government and what you don't.

Banks, good. Colleges, bad.
NO. Just pointing out your flaming hypocrisy and attempting to keep the focus on the topic rather than the weed rambling your posts take. Also, can't you figure out apples to apples vs apples to orange? Forgiving student debt does NOT bail out a college. A college already has it's money regardless of student performance. It is the individual whose debt you're looking to cancel. My question to you is what makes college debt more worthy of forgiveness than credit card debt or mortgage debt? If you can't put on your big girl britches and answer the question, just say so.

what makes college debt more worthy of forgiveness than credit card debt or mortgage debt?
Neither of those can be argued of benefit to society at large. Whereas, many of us now have relatives struggling to pay back college debt that was never such a burden back in our day. Things have changed significantly since these billionaires began popping up like cancerous tumors here and there..

How would you do that, exactly? The problem is that the market forces ALREADY control the cost of college. You want to do it the cheap way, you go to community college for two years and state college for the balance. You want to get something fancier, you pay more.

The real problem is supply and demand. You want a job that pays anything close to a middle class lifestyle, you need to go to college. But we haven't really increased the SUPPLY of college seats.

The other part of the problem you don't get Axis Mikey, is that we DID used to have affordable schools back in the day. When I want to UIC back in the 1980's, tuition was about $1500 a year. Even adjusting for today's dollars, that comes out to $3666.00. (I didn't even pay that, because I was in the Illinois National Guard and they paid my tuition, so all I had to do was pay about $350 a year in fees.)

Today, Tuition at UIC, which for those playing along at home, was hawked as the "Affordable" campus for inner city kids, is about $13,000 a year.

So what changed? What changed was Illinois, like most states, shifted the cost of operations from the State to the Students. The other part is that universities are kind of in an arms race to make facilities increasingly nicer to make going there more attractive.

what makes college debt more worthy of forgiveness than credit card debt or mortgage debt?
Neither of those can be argued of benefit to society at large. Whereas, many of us now have relatives struggling to pay back college debt that was never such a burden back in our day. Things have changed significantly since these billionaires began popping up like cancerous tumors here and there..

Neither of those can be argued of benefit to society at large.

Mortgage debt can't be argued as a benefit to society at large?

many of us now have relatives struggling to pay back college debt that was never such a burden back in our day.

It's true, endless government loan dollars have allowed colleges to hike prices unreasonably.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

How would you do that, exactly? The problem is that the market forces ALREADY control the cost of college. You want to do it the cheap way, you go to community college for two years and state college for the balance. You want to get something fancier, you pay more.

The real problem is supply and demand. You want a job that pays anything close to a middle class lifestyle, you need to go to college. But we haven't really increased the SUPPLY of college seats.

The other part of the problem you don't get Axis Mikey, is that we DID used to have affordable schools back in the day. When I want to UIC back in the 1980's, tuition was about $1500 a year. Even adjusting for today's dollars, that comes out to $3666.00. (I didn't even pay that, because I was in the Illinois National Guard and they paid my tuition, so all I had to do was pay about $350 a year in fees.)

Today, Tuition at UIC, which for those playing along at home, was hawked as the "Affordable" campus for inner city kids, is about $13,000 a year.

So what changed? What changed was Illinois, like most states, shifted the cost of operations from the State to the Students. The other part is that universities are kind of in an arms race to make facilities increasingly nicer to make going there more attractive.

The problem is that the market forces ALREADY control the cost of college.

They do?

What would the cost be if the government didn't make or guarantee student loans?

You want a job that pays anything close to a middle class lifestyle, you need to go to college.

We could allow pre-employment tests again. Liberals didn't like them, but it would make screening for some jobs a lot cheaper than 4 or more years of college.

The real problem is supply and demand.

Endless government loans have certainly distorted demand.

What changed was Illinois, like most states, shifted the cost of operations from the State to the Students.

Our illegal aliens and public sector union employees are expensive.
Not to mention funding (and underfunding) their pensions.

The other part is that universities are kind of in an arms race to make facilities increasingly nicer to make going there more attractive.

Why not?
It's not like their customers are holding them accountable for expensive, semi-useful degrees.

We could allow pre-employment tests again. Liberals didn't like them, but it would make screening for some jobs a lot cheaper than 4 or more years of college.

What would the cost be if the government didn't make or guarantee student loans?

Probably about the same... The problem is the government is providing LESS support now, not more.

Endless government loans have certainly distorted demand.

No, they really haven't. What's distorted demand is that you need a college degree if you want to be an entry level anything working in an office.

Our illegal aliens and public sector union employees are expensive.
Not to mention funding (and underfunding) their pensions.

Guy, you need to stop listening to hate radio, it's making you stupid.

Forum List

Back