In Yemen's war, untreated cancer patients wait for death

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
How innocent people have to suffer because of conflicts!!!

In Yemen's war, untreated cancer patients wait for death

Published May 19, 2016
Associated Press
Facebook1 Twitter13 livefyre Email Print

1463673711087.jpg

(iStock)

TAIZ, Yemen (AP) -- When Ali Ghanem's doctors told him his cancer had spread from his colon to his backbone, they said they didn't have the facilities to give him the needed radiation treatment in his home city of Taiz, in central Yemen, and that he needed to get to the capital.

But Ghanem was trapped. Shiite rebels have been besieging Taiz for more than a year. The city has been a battlefield between the rebels and local fighters backed by a campaign of airstrikes by Saudi Arabia and its allies. His 25-year-old son Abdel-Maged told AP that they couldn't carry him the five kilometers (three miles) on foot out of the city to find a vehicle able to take them to Sanaa.

"He couldn't move," he said. "Doctors told us to keep him home till he dies in peace and leave it to God."

Ghanem, a 53-year-old pharmacist, died last week. His son spoke to The Associated Press after returning from the graveyard.

Continue reading at:

In Yemen's war, untreated cancer patients wait for death | Fox News

Well, we know how many innocent people in Iraq suffered so the US public could get cheaper oil, don't we?

Does the political elite care? No, money is the only important thing, and their own lives and those of their family, no one else.

Do the voters care? No, Iraq, Yemen, Syria etc are too far away to give a shit.

The ONLY time they give a shit is when their way of life is under threat. So, if you wanted to hurt the people who are causing so much hurt in this world, what would you do?

Well, we know how many innocent people in Iraq suffered so the US public could get cheaper oil, don't we?

Does the political elite care? No, money is the only important thing, and their own lives and those of their family, no one else.

The ONLY time they give a shit is when their way of life is under threat. So, if you wanted to hurt the people who are causing so much hurt in this world, what would you do?

This thread happens to be about very sick people in Yemen. If you want to talk about other things, start a thread about it.

This thread happens to be about very sick people in Yemen. If you want to talk about other things, start a thread about it.

And I was talking about very sick people in Yemen, shock horror.

However I was talking about very sick people in Yemen from the perspective of A) those who control the US government and B) those people who vote for the US government.

I'm sorry my post didn't include things like "I'm going to donate all my ban account to help these people" or "Poor things, I'll pray for them", but funnily enough I have a brain to think for myself, so I present the view that I wish to present, not the one you want. Okay?

And I was talking about very sick people in Yemen, shock horror.

However I was talking about very sick people in Yemen from the perspective of A) those who control the US government and B) those people who vote for the US government.

I'm sorry my post didn't include things like "I'm going to donate all my ban account to help these people" or "Poor things, I'll pray for them", but funnily enough I have a brain to think for myself, so I present the view that I wish to present, not the one you want. Okay?

Strange how posters can't restrain themselves from dragging something else into a thread. I will reiterate -- this thread was about unfortunate very, very sick people in Yemen who were unable to get medical help-. I don't think the U.S. is responsible for this. If you think otherwise, write your congressman.

It appears that it is too difficult for some to say "Thank God if this happened to me, I would be able to get treatment" or "I certainly would hate to be in these patients' shoes."

Cholera outbreak in Yemen...
icon_omg.gif

WHO: Yemen's Suspected Cholera Cases Soar
October 28, 2016 — The number of suspected cholera cases in Yemen has ballooned to 1,410 within three weeks of the outbreak being declared, the World Health Organization said on Friday, as 18 months of war has destroyed most health facilities and clean water supplies.
Yemen's Health Ministry announced the outbreak on Oct. 6 in Sanaa city, and by Oct. 10 the WHO said there were 24 suspected cases. The following day, a WHO official in Yemen said there was "no spread of the disease". But on Friday, WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic told a Geneva news briefing that as of Thursday there were 1,410 suspected cholera cases in 10 out of Yemen's 23 governorates - mostly in Taiz, Aden, Lahj, Hodeida and Sanaa.

C2E3CA52-F902-468F-81EB-F4BC4FE6C551_w250_r1_s.jpg

People gather at the site of a Saudi-led air strike in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, Yemen​

The conflict between a Saudi Arabia-led coalition and the Iran-aligned Houthi group which controls much of northern Yemen, including Sanaa, has destroyed much of Yemen's infrastructure, killed more than 10,000 people and displaced millions. Cholera is only one risk in Yemen's war but a rapid advance of the disease would add a new dimension to the humanitarian disaster which UNICEF says has left 7.4 million children in need of medical help and 370,000 at risk of severe acute malnutrition.

14136716-5D1B-4CB1-BDCC-269F8C02C4F3_w250_r0_s.jpg

People inspect the aftermath of a Saudi-led coalition airstrike in Sanaa, Yemen​

WHO said on Wednesday that only 47 of the suspected cases had tested positive for cholera and the outbreak had spread beyond the capital to nine other governorates. Children under 10 accounted for half of the cases with six deaths from cholera and 36 associated deaths from acute watery diarrhea, the WHO said in the Oct. 26 report. Although most suffers have no symptoms or mild symptoms that can be treated with oral rehydration solution, in more severe cases the disease can kill within hours if not treated with intravenous fluids and antibiotics.

WHO: Yemen's Suspected Cholera Cases Soar

See also:

Half of Yemen’s Conflict-Ridden Population Living in Crisis
October 28, 2016 — The World Food Program warns half of Yemen’s 24 million people are living in a state of crisis, with more than seven million going hungry every day. The WFP says it urgently needs more than a quarter-billion dollars to provide food aid to people suffering from hunger, war and disease.
WFP spokeswoman Bettina Luescher says it is shocking and horrible to see this level of desperation in the 21st century. But, she notes more than seven million people in Yemen do not know where their next meal is coming from. The U.N. agency was helping some three million Yemenis every month. But, she says, the WFP is so short of cash, in recent months it has been forced to split food rations in half so that six million people will get something to eat.

4A1A21D5-6657-49F9-8054-F6943B8A959A_w250_r1_s.jpg

Forensic experts investigate the scene at the community hall where Saudi-led warplanes struck a funeral in Sanaa, the capital of Yemen​

Malnutrition

Though the portions are smaller, she says the food rations prevent people from starving. “When you see mothers who have little to eat themselves, when you see their children slipping away, it just breaks your heart ,” said Luescher. "So, we appeal to the world to help us do our job on the ground. We appeal to the fighting sides that humanitarians can get access to more areas.” Luescher says the WFP was able to get to three hard-to-reach districts in Taiz governorate during last week’s 72-hour humanitarian pause in the fighting. She says the WFP will soon be able to access another 189,000 people in three other areas that have been off-limits. But, she adds, that does not solve the ongoing problem of hunger. The World Health Organization reports 1.5 million children in Yemen are acutely malnourished, about a quarter of them severely malnourished.

6E27F577-07D9-4178-A5C0-3CCBB97C83B5_w250_r0_s.jpg

Saida Ahmad Baghili, 18, who is affected by severe acute malnutrition, sits on a bed at the al-Thawra hospital in the Red Sea port city of Houdieda, Yemen​

Cholera

The WHO warns cholera continues to spread throughout the country. Latest figures show 1,410 suspected cases of the fatal disease. In addition, the U.N. children’s fund says 7.4 million children lack health care. UNICEF spokesman Christophe Boulierac says nearly 10,000 children under five have died since the escalation of Yemen’s civil war at the end of March 2015. That is when the Saudi Arabian coalition began its air strikes against the Houthi rebels.

0F11058A-2A60-447D-9E4B-085629941729_w250_r0_s.jpg

A woman holds her malnourished child at a feeding center at al-Sabyeen hospital in Yemen's capital, Sanaa.​

“As you know, there are many children who die not only from bombings and bullets, but also from the diseases that we have mentioned very frequently—diarrhea, pneumonia and so on. And, the fact that the deterioration of the health system is critical,” said Boulierac. U.N. aid agencies report Yemen’s health system has all but collapsed. They say about 600 health facilities have been damaged or destroyed and are no longer functioning, and that one-fifth of the country’s vaccination centers are closed.

Half of Yemen’s Conflict-Ridden Population Living in Crisis

Last edited:

Forum List

Back