In tougher economic times, is Toyota out to send a new trend (that is really how cars use to be)

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Toyota rolls out it's first REAL no frills, stripped trucks for - wait for it - $10,000.
Fully functional, same high quality engines and trans. Just absolutely no frills.

At this point, it is not available in the United States, and would be illegal to drive here due to it not having anti-lock brakes or air bags.
Industry analyst state this truck made legal in he U.S. could be as low as $15,000... not $56,000 like basic U.S. trucks.
But it is likely Toyota will first release the Toyota Hilux in the U.S. that could list at $25,000. With most standard features.

Will Toyota do it again? They completely changed car sales in the late 1970s-80s.

ddd.jpg

Toyota rolls out it's first REAL no frills, stripped trucks for - wait for it - $10,000.
Fully functional, same high quality engines and trans. Just absolutely no frills.

At this point, it is not available in the United States, and would be illegal to drive here due to it not having anti-lock brakes or air bags.
Industry analyst state this truck made legal in he U.S. could be as low as $15,000... not $56,000 like basic U.S. trucks.
But it is likely Toyota will first release the Toyota Hilux in the U.S. that could list at $25,000. With most standard features.

Will Toyota do it again? They completely changed car sales in the late 1970s-80s.

View attachment 906659
That is the way trucks used to be

Bare Bones….There was no such thing as a “luxury” truck

Last edited:
Some states have lobbies trying to legalize those Japanese mini-trucks for street use here. Hope they succeed. As the slide into 2nd and 3rd world shithole status accelerates cheap transportation is a necessity.

Prices on the link site are ridiculously high, so don't go by them, I just posted that site for the variety of configurations.

Last edited:
That is the way trucks used to be

Bare Bones
And I would buy one today if I could get one.
I am not a mindless moron, not about to drop $50k - $80k on a damn truck. GTFO.
Even if I was wealthy, I couldn't bring myself to make such a stupid purchase.

If Toyota brings these things out - it would be an ENORMOUS disrupter.
That $60k truck would drop in value like a lead balloon.

And I would buy one today if I could get one.
I am not a mindless moron, not about to drop $50k - $80k on a damn truck. GTFO.
Even if I was wealthy, I couldn't bring myself to make such a stupid purchase.

If Toyota brings these things out - it would be an ENORMOUS disrupter.
That $60k truck would drop in value like a lead balloon.

I remember riding in friends pickups in the 70s
Bench seats, three on the column, manual steering and brakes, AM Radio
That was about it

Toyota does have one of the most expansive line of vehicles for literally every budget and taste.
From EV's to full sized 5.7 Tundras.
I recently gave up on Chrysler, because of constant issues and bought a lightly used Tundra and I love it.
Yes, it has all those American amenities and I pay dearly, but willingly for it.
I could see myself driving that little truck when I am older and not towing campers or boats anymore.
I like my big truck and our little old reliable Corolla too.

Ford tried something similar with the hybrid Maverick pickup a few years ago. Base model about $20K. Unfortunately, the only ones I could find were over $35K with a bunch of add-ons.

Ford tried something similar with the hybrid Maverick pickup a few years ago. Base model about $20K. Unfortunately, the only ones I could find were over $35K with a bunch of add-ons.
If you found one for 35K you did good, a friend wanted one but could not find one for under 40K.....Dealers were marking them up 10K over retail.

No longer a shortage of cars, new or used, but they still have the prices too high. On the other hand there are a lot of low mileage older cars available. Not the case with trucks and cargo minivans and vans, though, at least not here locally.

View attachment 906659
I watched a video on it last week ...it's a great idea ..for the most part Toyotas are reliable as hell

So back to drum brakes? No computer controlled firing? Back to points, wires, hand-timing by rotating distributor cap? 2BL Carburetor vs. Fuel injection? No cruise control? No Variable wipers? More fan belts? No power steering? No maps? Cameras, GPS…no cabin filter? No EGR bs. all gone.

People will run these fully loaded and hard on the freeways trying to. Keep up in the flow, unable to stop Like a 2022 Honda Accord.

Last edited:
So back to drum brakes? No computer controlled firing? Back to points, wires, hand-timing by rotating distributor cap? 2BL Carburetor vs. Fuel injection? No cruise control? No Variable wipers? More fan belts? No power steering? No maps? Cameras, GPS…no cabin filter? No EGR bs. all gone.

People will run these fully loaded and hard on the freeways trying to. Keep up in the flow, unable to stop Like a 2022 Honda Accord.

Most freeways in the urban areas are already just parking lots, so none of that matters much.

Forum List

Back