In the market for a new grill...

Ok this is what I decided on...
Best bang for the buck as far as offset stick burners go.
I've decided against a pellet grill because of electronic failures and generally unfavorable reviews as far as smoke flavor.

Good choice.I rarely use my pellet pooper these days. About the only time I use it is to finish off those 24 hour briskets. I'll smoke the brisket in the offset for ten hours or so and by then you've got about as much smoke as it's going to take,then toss it in the pellet pooper to finish. But then I rarely cook a brisket that big anymore.
Do yourself a favor and put the thin firebricks in the firebox and in the smoking chamber.
They help retain heat and they help keep the temp even.

Good choice.I rarely use my pellet pooper these days. About the only time I use it is to finish off those 24 hour briskets. I'll smoke the brisket in the offset for ten hours or so and by then you've got about as much smoke as it's going to take,then toss it in the pellet pooper to finish. But then I rarely cook a brisket that big anymore.
Do yourself a favor and put the thin firebricks in the firebox and in the smoking chamber.
They help retain heat and they help keep the temp even.
I will do that. Thanks.

I've had propane grills most of my life, and decided I'm done with them. They just seem to fall apart after a couple years use, and you really don't get the flavor of outdoor cooking.
So I've been looking at pellet grills. But, most affordable ones are made in China, (even Traeger since 2016) and they use circuit boards and motors to regulate pellet flow. More Chinese components to break down and render the grill useless. The only USA made pellet grills will run 1500 plus. I am looking at a Z Grills 7000 series for about 550.
So now I'm looking at charcoal. Weber is out, as they are now all Chinese made. I'm considering the PK Grills cast aluminum (made in Arkansas) for about 360.
So, Z Grills 7000 pellet grill $550 (China), or,
PK Grills Original charcoal grill $360 (USA).
Or talk me out of either one or both. I'm open to suggestions.
Thank you!
I was going to get a pellet grill but I read to many reviews that the feeder doesn’t work properly, I bought a Weber 18 inch charcoal grill Friday, and I have used it 7 times, the good comes out with great flavor, not mechanical, just need some maintenance. Go with the original.

I was going to get a pellet grill but I read to many reviews that the feeder doesn’t work properly, I bought a Weber 18 inch charcoal grill Friday, and I have used it 7 times, the good comes out with great flavor, not mechanical, just need some maintenance. Go with the original.
If I can find a grill NOT made in China - I will go that route. Weber is made in China - so no for me.

Damn I didn’t bother to look thanks
That doesn't mean that the grill is inherently bad. But China is known to use inferior metals, paints, and workmanship. Slave labor in sweatshops is the norm. That's why I try not to buy goods made in China - unless there is not another option.

That doesn't mean that the grill is inherently bad. But China is known to use inferior metals, paints, and workmanship. Slave labor in sweatshops is the norm. That's why I try not to buy goods made in China - unless there is not another option.
I hate buying from commies I don’t even watch American movies any more

If you buy a good quality pellet pooper they feed just fine.
My biggest complaint is the lack of a good smoke profile,the pellets are just to dry and in the process of making them you lose all the moisture to the point they have no flavor.
I have the MAK 2 Star General which ran me $4000 bucks by the time I added some upgrades.
It works great if you dont mind the weak smoke profile,which I do.

When it comes to actual BBQ nothing beats an offset smoker.
Sold my large Pitts and Spitts because we dont cook for a bunch of people anymore and replaced it with a Lang offset reverse flow smoker.
It uses half the wood my old Pitts and Spitts offset did.

A4B7051B-4322-45E0-ACA4-70A077F28F9F.jpeg

67979812-8947-44AF-8DFB-F1B2A67410FB.jpeg

1647281124758.png

Went looking for a beef brisket today, all they had was corned beef brisket lol
So I slow Cooked it on the grill, 3 hours.. looked great, but The brine made it very salty.. I’ll be back to searching for a beef brisket. Under 30 bucks lol

Went looking for a beef brisket today, all they had was corned beef brisket lol
So I slow Cooked it on the grill, 3 hours.. looked great, but The brine made it very salty.. I’ll be back to searching for a beef brisket. Under 30 bucks lol
/-----/ FYI

How to Remove Salt From Corned Beef | LEAFtv

https://www.leaf.tv › articles › how-to-remove-salt-from-corned-beef
Soaking and Blanching the Corned Beef. One very traditional way of making your corned beef less salty is to soak it in cold water before you cook it. Old recipes sometimes call for an overnight soak or even more than one soaking, but the beef was saltier in those days. Now, a few hours - about 30 minutes per pound - usually does the trick.

/-----/ FYI

How to Remove Salt From Corned Beef | LEAFtv

https://www.leaf.tv › articles › how-to-remove-salt-from-corned-beef
Soaking and Blanching the Corned Beef. One very traditional way of making your corned beef less salty is to soak it in cold water before you cook it. Old recipes sometimes call for an overnight soak or even more than one soaking, but the beef was saltier in those days. Now, a few hours - about 30 minutes per pound - usually does the trick.
I soaked it in baking soda to break the membrane.. I’m gonna find a brisket next week. This was disappointing.

btw what do you use for a rub?

Forum List

Back