In the market for a new grill...

I've had propane grills most of my life, and decided I'm done with them. They just seem to fall apart after a couple years use, and you really don't get the flavor of outdoor cooking.
So I've been looking at pellet grills. But, most affordable ones are made in China, (even Traeger since 2016) and they use circuit boards and motors to regulate pellet flow. More Chinese components to break down and render the grill useless. The only USA made pellet grills will run 1500 plus. I am looking at a Z Grills 7000 series for about 550.
So now I'm looking at charcoal. Weber is out, as they are now all Chinese made. I'm considering the PK Grills cast aluminum (made in Arkansas) for about 360.
So, Z Grills 7000 pellet grill $550 (China), or,
PK Grills Original charcoal grill $360 (USA).
Or talk me out of either one or both. I'm open to suggestions.
Thank you!
just put two pork ribs on my new treager,,so far its been a good grill/smoker,,although it doesnt replace a good grill for quick cooking it does the job,

as for not being made in the USA that wont change until democrats and republicans stop abusing corporations with regulations and taxs that cause them to move over seas that will not change,,,
Traeger is just too damn expensive for a Chinese manufactured product. If I was forced to buy Chinese, I would go with Z- Grills with thicker materials, better ratings - at half the cost.

I've had propane grills most of my life, and decided I'm done with them. They just seem to fall apart after a couple years use, and you really don't get the flavor of outdoor cooking.
So I've been looking at pellet grills. But, most affordable ones are made in China, (even Traeger since 2016) and they use circuit boards and motors to regulate pellet flow. More Chinese components to break down and render the grill useless. The only USA made pellet grills will run 1500 plus. I am looking at a Z Grills 7000 series for about 550.
So now I'm looking at charcoal. Weber is out, as they are now all Chinese made. I'm considering the PK Grills cast aluminum (made in Arkansas) for about 360.
Thank you!
Beware of that Zgrills. Remember if it looks too good to be true, it is. ZGrills is a Chinese fly by night. After e extensive looking, comparing and all that stuff, I'm a careful shopper and make the most out of buying stuff, i settled on Grilla as offering the best bang for the buck. It's designed and inspected Ameraica but made in China. They control costs by building stuff in China and selling only direct thus putting the savings into the product rather than in some middleman's pocket. Their price is always the same and includes shipping. No sales or soecial deals it cist hat it cost and theres no shopping around. Order one up and about a week later it shows up at your door on a truck. It was everything they said it was. Be sure to look at the materials used and things like thermal efficency, not only for use in colder weather but fuel savings every timed you fire it up. They have several models but i settled on their Silverback. They've got this Grilla/Gorilla thing going so their marketing, what there is of it is the gorilla thing. The way it's built and the stuff its built out of believe me this thing is going to be around for years and years to come. It's not the best or the most expensive, not even the prettiest but it's probably the best bang for your buck and their support is excellent because it has to be as they have no third parties to slime crap off on to. As far as Trager and companies like them are concerned, their customer is the retail chain they sell to, not you and not even the local store you bought it from but the chain store's buyers. Some assembly required, mine took an hour or less to get shook together.
Just hit Grillagrills.com and shop around some for yourself.
BTW their cover sucks because it4s too tight so I found a better one from Traeger that's fits loose like I like. If you get a silverback I'll tell you which one but you'll likly have to order it from Traeger like I did because most of their stores don't stock it. Just don't buy a Grilla cover unless you want it to fit like yoga pants.
Thanks for responding. But Z Grills is hardly fly by night. They've been manufacturing other companies grills for over 30 years. At one point, they were even manufacturing Traeger grills. They only just started branching out on their own in 2017.
I will have a closer look at the Silverbac.

Thank you!
just put two pork ribs on my new treager,,so far its been a good grill/smoker,,although it doesnt replace a good grill for quick cooking it does the job,

as for not being made in the USA that wont change until democrats and republicans stop abusing corporations with regulations and taxs that cause them to move over seas that will not change,,,
Traeger is just too damn expensive for a Chinese manufactured product. If I was forced to buy Chinese, I would go with Z- Grills with thicker materials, better ratings - at half the cost.
mine was a gift,,and I would have never paid the price for it,,,

but I am tightwad,,,

I've got a Lang for real BBQ.
A MAK 2 star general for my pellet pooper.
A Kamado Joe....A pure joy to cook with!!!
A FireMagic gas grill...this thing is a beast as far as gas grills go. All parts are warrantee'd for life,even the burners.
And the 36' stainless Blackstone. Which we dont use very often because it can make a mess.
The best things we cook on it are smash burgers and Philly Cheese steaks.

If I had to pick one it'd be between the Kamado and the Lang.
The Kamado is far more versatile but the Lang makes some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten.
I love the Mak 2! Also looked at Yoder and Smokin' Brothers. All fantastic American made pellet grills. Just out of my price range at the moment. My wife would shit if I spent 1600 dollars on a grill.

Thank you!

Its not only taxes and regulations it's also unions and the rest of the bullshit American labor wants these days. They don't want just a job, which half of them are unwilling to work at, they're looking for someone to take them to raise and kiss their asses too.

A FireMagic gas grill...this thing is a beast as far as gas grills go. All parts are warrantee'd for life,even the burners.
And the 36' stainless Blackstone. Which we dont use very often because it can make a mess.

The Kamado is far more versatile but the Lang makes some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten.
I love the Mak 2! Also looked at Yoder and Smokin' Brothers. All fantastic American made pellet grills. Just out of my price range at the moment. My wife would shit if I spent 1600 dollars on a grill.

The MAK 2 star is 3k with the cold smoke option.
Unfortunately I cant cold smoke cheese in the Texas summer heat or it'll just melt. :laughing0301:

The only real reason to buy a pellet pooper is for exceptionally long cooks like 15 hour briskets or pork butts.
You can get better results with that smoker/charcoal grill I posted for chicken,ribs and smaller briskets/pork butts and get better flavor.
So unless you plan on smoking all nighters I'd think twice about a pellet pooper.
You're paying a lot of money for the electronics which makes the rest of the grill suffer.

The MAK does make some pretty good BBQ with little hassle but it still doesnt compare to a real smoker.
57F3A130-7C8B-401D-A61C-60EB6D014D89.jpeg

See here for reviews on 500+ of various types

a convection oven is faster and easier than an outdoor grill

And is as tasteless as a gas grill.
Besides,cooking fast doesnt give your food time to develop flavor.
I also use an outdoor grill, but when it's too hot or cold outside I use the convection oven.
You can use smoke seasoning.
I marinate the meat and use seasoning, and just set the temperature and time, and it comes out right every time with a lot less work.
It's just more convenient for me.

It took forever to convince my wife to buy kamado grill. We bought Big Green Egg and i'm kinda ok with that, it makes it job, but i think there is the better options for making burgers. Any suggestions on what to buy instead of kamado grill?

It took forever to convince my wife to buy kamado grill. We bought Big Green Egg and i'm kinda ok with that, it makes it job, but i think there is the better options for making burgers. Any suggestions on what to buy instead of kamado grill?

The kamado makes burgers just fine.
The thing about Kamados is their versatility. You can smoke on em,sear,make pizza,bake cookies or cornbread and it uses very little charcoal. And they hold temp better than any cooker I have other than the MAK pellet pooper
You can fill up the basket and cook on it four times before you have to refill it.
There is no other grill out there that can do all the things a Kamado can do.

And as I said earlier.
If I had to pick one cooker I'b be hard pressed to pick between the Kamado or my Lang.
Both are fantastic at what they do but the Kamado Joe is far more versatile.

Real barbeque is cooked over hot coals, not a wood fire. The wood fire is in a separate barrel called a burn barrel typically. Often a discarded 55 gallon drum with a big hole cut in the side on the bottom where you can shovel the hot coals out to spread under the meat cooking in the pit.
So called real barbeque takes a lot sweat and hard work. I'll settle for my wood pellet fire being close enough and just as close as any wood fired cooker.

Real barbeque is cooked over hot coals, not a wood fire. The wood fire is in a separate barrel called a burn barrel typically. Often a discarded 55 gallon drum with a big hole cut in the side on the bottom where you can shovel the hot coals out to spread under the meat cooking in the pit.
So called real barbeque takes a lot sweat and hard work. I'll settle for my wood pellet fire being close enough and just as close as any wood fired cooker.

I know how real BBQ is made.
I BBQed in competitions for years and it's done with indirect heat and smoke using various types of ...yes,wood which are generally called "splits". And at temps between 220 and 275.
Cooking over heat is grilling.
328B2D11-DFAC-4BED-9B6A-33E466C9F052.jpeg
6EAAAE56-7D05-46C5-9CDF-4BA7CEA50BE1.jpeg

This guy is arguably the best BBQer on the planet.
Check out his pits....

I BBQed in competitions for years and it's done with indirect heat and smoke using various types of ...yes,wood which are generally called "splits". And at temps between 220 and 275.
View attachment 376880View attachment 376881

Check out his pits....

Well then if you've been in competitions then you're aware that the guys who whooped your ass were likely cooking on pellet rigs. LOL
As far as the best BBQ on the planet, it's probably coming from some tumbled down, ramshackle shack out in the Carolina backwoods somewhere. That guy's good because he has to be good or his kids don't eat, get clothes or new shoes. It sure as hell ain't from that Myron Dixon TV clown

Check out his pits....

Well then if you've been in competitions then you're aware that the guys who whooped your ass were likely cooking on pellet rigs. LOL
As far as the best BBQ on the planet, it's probably coming from some tumbled down, ramshackle shack out in the Carolina backwoods somewhere. That guy's good because he has to be good or his kids don't eat, get clothes or new shoes. It sure as hell ain't from that Myron Dixon TV clown

You dont think Myron Dixon was BBQing right?
What do pellet poopers have to do with anything? But I'll address it....
Some BBQ contests dont allow pellet poopers because they take no skill. Throwing a hunk of meat on a pellet pooper and walking away is not a skill,anyone can do it.
I have the MAK 2 star pellet pooper and it doesnt compare to a real wood fired offset smoker.
And I believe you mentioned that wood isn't used in BBQ.......pellet poopers use...thats right,wood.

And I'm not seeing the difference between some backwoods dude cooking to make money for his family and Franklin doing the exact same thing.

Weber spirit and genesis line are made in America.
Correct for the Genesis. I read Spirit is made in China. But both are propane. Looking to go pellet (or charcoal).

View attachment 373774
Something like that right there!
I use green Live Oak in mine usually, stuff comes out great!
There's the Komodo eggs.
I like a sideways smoker, though. I know how to use that!
I just use my fingers thermometer on the meat-side lid, and good to go!
:woohoo:

Check out his pits....

Some BBQ contests dont allow pellet poopers because they take no skill. Throwing a hunk of meat on a pellet pooper and walking away is not a skill,anyone can do it.
I have the MAK 2 star pellet pooper and it doesnt compare to a real wood fired offset smoker.
And I believe you mentioned that wood isn't used in BBQ.......pellet poopers use...thats right,wood.

And I'm not seeing the difference between some backwoods dude cooking to make money for his family and Franklin doing the exact same thing.

Building a fire isn't where the skill comes in ya dummy. And staying up all night to tend a fire doesn't require skill or brains.

Weber spirit and genesis line are made in America.
Correct for the Genesis. I read Spirit is made in China. But both are propane. Looking to go pellet (or charcoal).

View attachment 373774
Something like that right there!
I use green Live Oak in mine usually, stuff comes out great!
There's the Komodo eggs.
I like a sideways smoker, though. I know how to use that!
I just use my fingers thermometer on the meat-side lid, and good to go!
:woohoo:

Smokealib said he wanted something for $500 bucks that he can grill and smoke on...that one fits the bill perfectly.
My favorites are Post oak ,Pecan and Pimento if if I can get it.

Check out his pits....

Building a fire isn't where the skill comes in ya dummy. And staying up all night to tend a fire doesn't require skill or brains.

Translation: I am a poor firemaker

Forum List

Back