In Search of Nelson's Cabin By Bruce Stark 7 Oct 2023

Jun 22, 2014
It was the late 90's when my old friend Mike and I were on another adventure in the Mohave Desert.

Mike had an old friend named Steve Nelson. Steve's family had bought a plot in the desert from a developer who promised the world. They bought the deluxe package which included an "A" frame cabin. The biggest problem was that the family couldn't find the cabin. It was on a dirt road on the Western end of San Bernardino County, North of El Mirage dry lake.

Mike and I had been to the cabin once but it was hard to find even during the day.

It was dark and now Mike figured that if we found El Mirage Dry Lake he could figure out where the cabin was. We drove until we came to a view of a large expanse of desert in front of us. The moon was reflecting off of the view and Mike declared that this was the dry lake and that we should charge onto it to find Nelson's cabin.

Something just didn't seem right. I stopped the car and got out to survey the situation. The path Mike wanted us to take would have taken us into a 15 foot deep drainage canal that was to service a large alfalfa field. The moon was shining off of the freshly watered alfalfa. I showed Mike the ditch we almost drove into and received no response.

Off in the distance we could hear the sound of large rain-birds that were moving across the field. They seemed to be getting closer.

Mike had an idea. As it was around 80 degrees, Mike took off his shirt so that when the rain-birds got close to us. he could receive a cool shower. I went back to the car to have a beer and wait for Mike to get done with his shower.

Sure enough the rain-birds got close enough so that Mike was totally soaked. and then the screaming started. The rain-birds were not just delivering water but also a chemical fertilizer.

Mike got it in his eyes and his chest was burning from the chemicals. I got the ice-chest out of the car and poured the fresh water over Mike to help with the situation. He wasn't in pain anymore but he sure stank. He stank all the way back home as we had called off the search for the cabin.

At a later date we found the cabin but the slab foundation had a giant crack running through it. The cabin sat at a tilt. Later we found the site of the cabin. It had been bull-dozed into the ground.

Forum List

Back