Immigrants that work in agriculture need to be protected, and they need permission to stay and work.

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011
Hard to get people to work in agricultural jobs, and pickers should be allowed to work here in those jobs, but we should also have our young men serving along side of them in a summertime jobs program, and this we should promote and do in order to show that we don't think that we are above doing the same jobs that they are willing to do for us. It would promote friendships, education about labor, compassion, understanding, and grit in our own citizens, and a respect from our visitors that we don't think we are better than they are as fellow human beings in the world.

I disagree. If we don't have foreigners pick fruit, we will find Americans to do it. They may have to pay more money, but if it keeps them out of here, I'm willing to pay. More Americans working and less foreigners.

Hard to get people to work in agricultural jobs, and pickers should be allowed to work here in those jobs, but we should also have our young men serving along side of them in a summertime jobs program, and this we should promote and do in order to show that we don't think that we are above doing the same jobs that they are willing to do for us.
Who is "we"?

I disagree. If we don't have foreigners pick fruit, we will find Americans to do it. They may have to pay more money, but if it keeps them out of here, I'm willing to pay. More Americans working and less foreigners.
It will never happen unless states stop using tax payer funds to pay people more not to work, than to work.

It will never happen unless states stop using tax payer funds to pay people more not to work, than to work.

That is a huge problem. I know in my industry, we are looking for tens of thousands of workers we can't find. Recently those companies are bringing in foreigners to do the work and that keeps our wages down.

I spend all day on the road, and I see highways crowded with cars. Trucks and work vehicles I understand, but what do all these other people do for income when they are riding around on the highway during work hours? Obviously, most of them don't have a job.

The Grapes of Wrath was about Americans that worked in Agriculture. Take away the welfare maybe the would be an incentive.

Bring back the chain gang and put prisoners out in the fields.

We did not aways have illegals.

The Grapes of Wrath was about Americans that worked in Agriculture. Take away the welfare maybe the would be an incentive.

People are trying to create the illusion that now, we can't do without illegals and immigrants. Well.....I say let's try it for about four or five years and prove me wrong, because I say we will get along just fine without them.

Hard to get people to work in agricultural jobs, and pickers should be allowed to work here in those jobs, but we should also have our young men serving along side of them in a summertime jobs program, and this we should promote and do in order to show that we don't think that we are above doing the same jobs that they are willing to do for us. It would promote friendships, education about labor, compassion, understanding, and grit in our own citizens, and a respect from our visitors that we don't think we are better than they are as fellow human beings in the world.
Immigrants in any field are already allowed to stay, an while I think young men and women working alongside them is a good idea for our young men and women wouldn't that reduce the number of immigrants working in those fields.

Agreed!
It's time to think outside the box and get aggressive. Between welfare recipients and those incarcerated we would have no problem manning all facets of agriculture.
This could easily drive the final cost of the commodity down to the end user / consumer.

Agriculture should have been mechanized long before now.

Understandably, you, as a conservative are convinced you are an expert in all subjects. However, there are many aspects of farming that cannot be mechanized with mankind's current knowledge of robotic technology, there are too many variables (and too much dirt that gum up the works). Human eyes and hands remain the only method for certain jobs that keep farming profitable and products affordable.

As far as forcing citizens to work in the fields, only the wetbacks are willing to do the "stoop labor" and work in the other miserable conditions for the extremely low wages these jobs pay.

Of course, given the conservatives' hatred of education and educated people that has caused the consistent diminishing levels of education in our public schools, even farming jobs will soon be beyond the abilities of the coming generations.

I worked in agriculture when I was in my late teens and early twenties, and I've seen the crappy working conditions the field workers endure.

Unfortunately, as people of reason are well aware, there is no method currently available to explain any form of reality to conservatives. But research to solve this problem is ongoing, despite the right-wingers' resistance.

Agriculture should have been mechanized long before now.

Understandably, you, as a conservative are convinced you are an expert in all subjects. However, there are many aspects of farming that cannot be mechanized with mankind's current knowledge of robotic technology, there are too many variables (and too much dirt that gum up the works). Human eyes and hands remain the only method for certain jobs that keep farming profitable and products affordable.

As far as forcing citizens to work in the fields, only the wetbacks are willing to do the "stoop labor" and work in the other miserable conditions for the extremely low wages these jobs pay.

Of course, given the conservatives' hatred of education and educated people that has caused the consistent diminishing levels of education in our public schools, even farming jobs will soon be beyond the abilities of the coming generations.

I worked in agriculture when I was in my late teens and early twenties, and I've seen the crappy working conditions the field workers endure.

Unfortunately, as people of reason are well aware, there is no method currently available to explain any form of reality to conservatives. But research to solve this problem is ongoing, despite the right-wingers' resistance.

Umm... liberals run the large failing school districts. Kansas City, Detroit, Chicago, LA, NY City, etc.. Strangely enough those areas continue to vote for Dems and more failures.

Legal immigrants or illegal aliens? There's a difference.

I agree.

The producers need to let the Dept. of labor know how many they need.

The ones they need should be granted guest worker visa's. Do the work and go the hell back to wherever they came from.

This is how Canada does it and it works quite well for them.

Hard to get people to work in agricultural jobs, and pickers should be allowed to work here in those jobs, but we should also have our young men serving along side of them in a summertime jobs program, and this we should promote and do in order to show that we don't think that we are above doing the same jobs that they are willing to do for us.
Who is "we"?
. Americans

That is a huge problem. I know in my industry, we are looking for tens of thousands of workers we can't find. Recently those companies are bringing in foreigners to do the work and that keeps our wages down.

I spend all day on the road, and I see highways crowded with cars. Trucks and work vehicles I understand, but what do all these other people do for income when they are riding around on the highway during work hours? Obviously, most of them don't have a job.
. LOL.. You look at other vehicles on the road and think that those people because their are so many of them that they must not have a Job ???? Kidding me right ? Do you ever get a day off, and therefore get in your personal vehicle to go somewhere ? Now what does someone who thinks like you, think of you when they see you in your personal vehicle ? Are they yelling out their window "Get a dam job, and get the hell out my way" ????? :cuckoo:

I agree.

The producers need to let the Dept. of labor know how many they need.

The ones they need should be granted guest worker visa's. Do the work and go the hell back to wherever they came from.

This is how Canada does it and it works quite well for them.
. It is the way it was done here once, but what the hell happened ??

Agreed!
It's time to think outside the box and get aggressive. Between welfare recipients and those incarcerated we would have no problem manning all facets of agriculture.
This could easily drive the final cost of the commodity down to the end user / consumer.
. Ideas, ideas... Keep'em rolling.

. LOL.. You look at other vehicles on the road and think that those people because their are so many of them that they must not have a Job ???? Kidding me right ? Do you ever get a day off, and therefore get in your personal vehicle to go somewhere ? Now what does someone who thinks like you, think of you when they see you in your personal vehicle ? Are they yelling out their window "Get a dam job, and get the hell out my way" ????? :cuckoo:

The only time I'm on the highway is when I am working. There are all kinds of reasons people are driving around in the middle of the day. Some are supported by their spouse, some have the day off or work a different shift, some are retired, some may be salesmen or managers in route to different stores, but it doesn't justify the tens of thousands I see every day.

As time goes on, it seems the roads get more and more crowded during the workday. I don't think much about it during the summer because most working people take their vacation then. Teens and younger people in college are off. But this is every single day year round.

Forum List

Back