I'm Not Quite Sure The Different Between Riffles and Assault Riffles

Can't any riffle be an assault riffle depending on the person pulling the trigger? I know sort of sounds like a stupid question because there tends to be specific kinds of riffles used for shootings,.. but somebody could use a handgun for that and it could (as sometimes people survive being shot at) still wind up being deadly.
The term "assault rifle" has a very specific meaning. And no assault rifle that is or was legally owned by an American civilian has ever been used to commit a crime.

Can't any riffle be an assault riffle depending on the person pulling the trigger? I know sort of sounds like a stupid question because there tends to be specific kinds of riffles used for shootings,.. but somebody could use a handgun for that and it could (as sometimes people survive being shot at) still wind up being deadly.
Well, according to your own dictionary Merriam Webster, an assault rifle is -

: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire

also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire.

So any rifle that's not automatic or semi-automatic.

Assault rifles:

a) are capable of either full-auto or burst-fire

b) accept detachable magazines

c) fire rounds that are less powerful than a standard deer rifle, and

d) are effective at a range of 300 meters.

This means that semi-auto-only guns are not assault rifles.

This means that guns with fixed magazines are not assault rifles.

This means that guns that fire handgun/shotgun/rimfire rounds are not assault rifles.

This means that guns that fire rounds equal-to or greater-than the power of a standard deer rifle are not assault rifles.

As with so many words and terms, there was an original meaning to "assault rifle" that made sense and was understandable. It doesn't matter now what that was because it has become a political rather than a technical issue. If one thing is said, it means the speaker is "right" and if another, "left". The discussion deteriorates, as with all discussion lately, into binary silliness.

As with so many words and terms, there was an original meaning to "assault rifle" that made sense and was understandable. It doesn't matter now what that was because it has become a political rather than a technical issue. If one thing is said, it means the speaker is "right" and if another, "left". The discussion deteriorates, as with all discussion lately, into binary silliness.
It's very easy, if it's a rifle that's automatic or semi automatic, then it's an assault rifle.

None of my AR-15s are assault rifles because I don't use them to assault anything. Unless you consider paper and clay targets to be victims of assault.

An assault rifle is a rifle which can be used to commit an assault.

All rifles can be used to commit an assault.

Therefore, all rifles are assault rifles.
A dagger is a knife that can be used to commit an assault

All knives can be used to commit an assault.

Therefore all knives are assault knives.

Yes. Semi-auto-only rifles are assault rifles, according to your American dictionary.

A look at how the anti- gun fanatics have lied about rifles…

* In 1988, Josh Sugarmann, the founder of a prominent gun control organization, wrote the following about the “new topic” of “assault weapons:”[482] [483]

The weapons’ menacing looks, coupled with the public’s confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons.[484]

* Prior to the publication of Sugermann’s 1988 booklet about “assault weapons,” Google Book’s library of books and other publications reveals no results that use this term to describe a semi-automatic gun.[485]During the 10 years after Sugermann’s booklet was published:

• Google Book shows over 25 results that use the term “assault weapon” to describe a semi-automatic gun, including several state and local laws that ban them.[486] [487] [488] [489][490]
  • U.S. Senator Howard Metzenbaum (D–OH) sponsored a bill named the “Assault Weapon Control Act of 1989” that sought to ban certain semi-automatic weapons but did not pass.[491] [492]
  • U.S. Congressmen Jack Brooks (D–TX) sponsored a 1994 bill—which passed into law—banning the manufacture, transfer, or possession of a “semiautomatic assault weapon” for the next 10 years unless it was legally owned prior to the law’s enactment.[493] [494] [495]

* A 2013 New York Times article alleges “it was the gun industry” that first adopted the term “assault weapon” to increase civilian rifle sales.[496] As evidence of this, the Times cites the cover of a 1981 edition of Guns & Ammo magazine with a headline that reads, “The New Breed of Assault Rifle.”[497] With regard to that claim:

• the magazine repeatedly distinguishes these new weapons from actual assaultrifles by using phrases like “military look-alikes,” “semi-auto sporters,” and “military-type semi-automatic sporting rifles.”[498]
  • the magazine never uses the term “assault weapon.”
  • the New York Public Library Writer’s Guide to Style and Usage and various journalism guidebooks instruct reporters to “use jargon only when necessary and define it carefully” when writing for the general public.[499] [500] [501] [502]
  • Guns & Ammo is a magazine for gun enthusiasts and professionals, not the general public.[503]

* To further support its contention that the gun industry first adopted the term “assault weapon” to describe semi-automatic weapons, the Times quotes:

• an unsupported claim from a gun dealer who wrote a book published in 2008 that he titled The Gun Digest Buyer’s Guide to Assault Weapons.[504] This was two decades after anti-gun activists began using the phrase “assault weapons.”[505]
  • a snippet from a 1984 advertisement promoting a new magazine named GA Assault Firearms that would be “full of the hottest hardware available today.”[506] The portion of the ad not quoted by the Times states that the magazine will cover “battle rifles, shotguns and assault rifles from the armies of the world.” It adds: “And if you are interested in survival tactics and personal defense, we’ll give you a look at the newest civilianized versions of the semi-auto submachine gun.”[507]

Riffles have ridges...

I'm pretty sure those are potato chips lol but what else can I add that hasn't already been said as my point has been basically made already. It's silly calling something an assault riffle when a lot of (and probably the majority) of people that own these so called assault riffles have never assaulted anybody before and actually people that own handguns probably have done more assaulting because I think more shootings have happened with them.

The appeal of the AR15 is that it looks like and fires the same round as the U.S. Army issue weapon.

The appeal of the AR15 is that it looks like and fires the same round as the U.S. Army issue weapon.

So what next then? Would that be considered as the military assaulting people according to leftist liberals?

A look at how the anti- gun fanatics have lied about rifles…

* In 1988, Josh Sugarmann, the founder of a prominent gun control organization, wrote the following about the “new topic” of “assault weapons:”[482] [483]

The weapons’ menacing looks, coupled with the public’s confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons.[484]

* Prior to the publication of Sugermann’s 1988 booklet about “assault weapons,” Google Book’s library of books and other publications reveals no results that use this term to describe a semi-automatic gun.[485]During the 10 years after Sugermann’s booklet was published:

• Google Book shows over 25 results that use the term “assault weapon” to describe a semi-automatic gun, including several state and local laws that ban them.[486] [487] [488] [489][490]
  • U.S. Senator Howard Metzenbaum (D–OH) sponsored a bill named the “Assault Weapon Control Act of 1989” that sought to ban certain semi-automatic weapons but did not pass.[491] [492]
  • U.S. Congressmen Jack Brooks (D–TX) sponsored a 1994 bill—which passed into law—banning the manufacture, transfer, or possession of a “semiautomatic assault weapon” for the next 10 years unless it was legally owned prior to the law’s enactment.[493] [494] [495]

* A 2013 New York Times article alleges “it was the gun industry” that first adopted the term “assault weapon” to increase civilian rifle sales.[496] As evidence of this, the Times cites the cover of a 1981 edition of Guns & Ammo magazine with a headline that reads, “The New Breed of Assault Rifle.”[497] With regard to that claim:

• the magazine repeatedly distinguishes these new weapons from actual assaultrifles by using phrases like “military look-alikes,” “semi-auto sporters,” and “military-type semi-automatic sporting rifles.”[498]
  • the magazine never uses the term “assault weapon.”
  • the New York Public Library Writer’s Guide to Style and Usage and various journalism guidebooks instruct reporters to “use jargon only when necessary and define it carefully” when writing for the general public.[499] [500] [501] [502]
  • Guns & Ammo is a magazine for gun enthusiasts and professionals, not the general public.[503]

* To further support its contention that the gun industry first adopted the term “assault weapon” to describe semi-automatic weapons, the Times quotes:

• an unsupported claim from a gun dealer who wrote a book published in 2008 that he titled The Gun Digest Buyer’s Guide to Assault Weapons.[504] This was two decades after anti-gun activists began using the phrase “assault weapons.”[505]
  • a snippet from a 1984 advertisement promoting a new magazine named GA Assault Firearms that would be “full of the hottest hardware available today.”[506] The portion of the ad not quoted by the Times states that the magazine will cover “battle rifles, shotguns and assault rifles from the armies of the world.” It adds: “And if you are interested in survival tactics and personal defense, we’ll give you a look at the newest civilianized versions of the semi-auto submachine gun.”[507]
The only thing you need to look at is your dictionary and not your copy and paste database.

Well, according to your own dictionary Merriam Webster, an assault rifle is -

: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire

also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire.

So any rifle that's not automatic or semi-automatic.
The first definition is correct.

The second definition is bullshit made up and included solely to try to steal her fucking guns.

See how that works?

You need to email Merriam Webster
I am not aware of needing this. I don't think I do have such a need.

because that's the definition.
No it isn't. It's not even close to the definition.

Theirs count,
No it doesn't. Fraudulent definitions never count.

yours doesn't. Sorry bud.
Yes it does. I provided the legitimate definition.

The only thing you need to look at is your dictionary and not your copy and paste database.
Who says that that's his dictionary? It's certainly not mine. I use Webster's New World College Dictionary, 5th Edition.

Regardless, there is never a need to look at a fraudulent definition, in any circumstance.

Forum List

Back