Im going to buy a hand gun soon. Any suggestions?

I agree with Winter on the .357 revolver. You said one gun; for defense, range, and fun. That’ll do the job across all those spectrums. However, what I suggest additionally, is that you don’t run out and buy whatever gun everyone says is great, because their new favorite movie hero uses it. Go to a good gun range. A good gun range will rent you guns. Try quite a few, and see what fits your hand, suits you best, and you shoot best with. When it comes to guns, try as manufacturers may; one size does not fit all...
357 for some one inexperienced? realy? weildy and to powerfull for most.

My girlfriend got a .357 as her first gun. She does most of her practicing with .38 Special, and then fires at least 12 rounds of the .357 ammo we have for defense.

She is not tiny, but it is not uncontrollable in any way. Even in a 2" S&W she handles it well.
All I here is the part where she uses the 38 special the most. kinda proving my point. I know when I go to do a job I use the tool I am most comfortable with, which is why I prescibe the 38 to start also a revolver leaves no evidence behind is easier to clean, use, and jams way less often. Most guns are used inside of ten foot and the 38 is more than powerfull enough at this distance.. I personally prefer the 45 but I have a great deal of experience.

She uses .38 special because they are cheaper and the lower recoil means it is comfortable at the range. I am willing to bet, if someone is in your house in the middle of the night, you won't feel the recoil. Plus, I doubt you will fire 50 to 75 rounds at an intruder.
the laws of physics do not stop under durress if any thing they are multiplied. An inexperienced shooter in times of stress is more likely to miss the first shot. The more recoil the more time it takes to reaim and shoot again. I can tell you this some one comes in home at night my 45 and my dog is going is make it real tough for them. As far as shooting alot of bullets, kinda supporting my revolver theory. Further more the less expense of the 38 shell makes practice cheaper and practice build confidence and profincey. When the bullets start flying you want what you are most experienced with. If you are going to carry it on the block even more reason for the revolver. There are situations where you might not want to leave cartriges behind. A revolver solves a multitude of problems.

As I said earlier, all of our revolvers are loaded with a .38 Special shotshell in the first chamber. Lower recoil and far less chance of a miss. Then the intruder is shocked and hurting from the pellets, so the next round goes on target.
Unless he's on pcp.
It would be bad to have to shoot somebody trying to come in, but the first round should be able to stop the problem dead in their tracks. For home defense with people untrained, I really favor a 12 gauge.

Dogs are good for early warning but not much else against a determined attacker.

I dunno, man. My Turkish Kangal is a rather persistent feller. Highly animated, too. No dog bites harder than a Kangal. None.

A .45 hits harder than he can bite.
And you can do it from the other side of the fence
Of course you can also go with the hamburger rat poison surprise if it's a planned outing.

It would be bad to have to shoot somebody trying to come in, but the first round should be able to stop the problem dead in their tracks. For home defense with people untrained, I really favor a 12 gauge.

I like to think that just the sound of it being racked would be enough to chase off an intruder.

I like to think that just the sound of it being racked would be enough to chase off an intruder.
Only a fool waits until a break in to load his gun.

I agree with Winter on the .357 revolver. You said one gun; for defense, range, and fun. That’ll do the job across all those spectrums. However, what I suggest additionally, is that you don’t run out and buy whatever gun everyone says is great, because their new favorite movie hero uses it. Go to a good gun range. A good gun range will rent you guns. Try quite a few, and see what fits your hand, suits you best, and you shoot best with. When it comes to guns, try as manufacturers may; one size does not fit all...

My girlfriend got a .357 as her first gun. She does most of her practicing with .38 Special, and then fires at least 12 rounds of the .357 ammo we have for defense.

She is not tiny, but it is not uncontrollable in any way. Even in a 2" S&W she handles it well.
All I here is the part where she uses the 38 special the most. kinda proving my point. I know when I go to do a job I use the tool I am most comfortable with, which is why I prescibe the 38 to start also a revolver leaves no evidence behind is easier to clean, use, and jams way less often. Most guns are used inside of ten foot and the 38 is more than powerfull enough at this distance.. I personally prefer the 45 but I have a great deal of experience.

She uses .38 special because they are cheaper and the lower recoil means it is comfortable at the range. I am willing to bet, if someone is in your house in the middle of the night, you won't feel the recoil. Plus, I doubt you will fire 50 to 75 rounds at an intruder.
the laws of physics do not stop under durress if any thing they are multiplied. An inexperienced shooter in times of stress is more likely to miss the first shot. The more recoil the more time it takes to reaim and shoot again. I can tell you this some one comes in home at night my 45 and my dog is going is make it real tough for them. As far as shooting alot of bullets, kinda supporting my revolver theory. Further more the less expense of the 38 shell makes practice cheaper and practice build confidence and profincey. When the bullets start flying you want what you are most experienced with. If you are going to carry it on the block even more reason for the revolver. There are situations where you might not want to leave cartriges behind. A revolver solves a multitude of problems.

As I said earlier, all of our revolvers are loaded with a .38 Special shotshell in the first chamber. Lower recoil and far less chance of a miss. Then the intruder is shocked and hurting from the pellets, so the next round goes on target.
Unless he's on pcp.

Not a big fan of a long gun in close quarters.
You can shorten em up a lot but that means you lose the stock which hampers aiming.

I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.

My advice will be less popular than many others, however, I would recommend one of three platforms to you for home defense.

Option number one: Charter Arms Bulldog or similar chambered in .44 special. A revolver is a much safer bet for the inexperienced and/or casual or new to handguns individual. Essentially, a revolver is point and shoot without all the sometimes complicated buttons and levers inherent to some semi-auto pistols. Add to that the versatility of the .44 special round and you've got a great all around package for hunting, plinking and man-stopping home defense. They only downside? Five rounds capacity (you should only need one-three shots for most home defense situations) versus up to and beyond twenty rounds in some modern auto pistols. That and the semi-rarity of the ammunition for the caliber, in a scavenging scenario. But if you get into handloading that won't be an issue.

Second choice: anything in .45 ACP, preferably anything built on a 1911 platform or a Glock 21 or similar. Sig also makes a great .45. The .45 ACP is a large, forgiving (recoil wise) pistol round that's been proven in combat at point blank range again and again over the course of the last one hundred plus odd years.

Third choice, a controversial one at that, the FN Five-Seven chambered for 5.7x28mm, which is a high velocity (for a non-magnum handgun) round that is very light weight and extremely low recoil. Benefit: high capacity magazines, 20+ rounds. Drawbacks: much smaller wound channel, scarcity of ammunition when scavenging, and endless debate about the caliber's ability to efficiently kill a human being intent on killing you in close quarters.

In 9mm, I own a Steyr GB which is an older but incredibly reliable platform in this caliber. I am also a fan of the Sig P320-M18 compact.

Another possibility, also less popular, is .38 Super, which is a great target shooting caliber and highly underrated for self-defense carry.
The 9mm is a good gun and most out there are pretty reliable and accurate, but if you want defense then get the Critical Defense Max 115g , as it penetrates then basically explodes inside the body going into all the vital organs, thus shutting down the attack, but also doesnt go through the body or wall into your wife or children. I have a few revolvers around for show, but the 9 mm with 15 round or 17 round mags, cant take out more than just 6 people.

Thats what I love about the FN .45.
16 rounds of pure stopping power.
I love the old 1911 .45 but hate the eight round capacity.

Last edited:
As far as recommending ammo, I went in an academy once to buy some ammo for my 1911 45. They were out of what I wanted so the kid got some other brand and set it on the counter and said it was the best defensive 45 ammo there was. I couldn't help it, I looked at him and said, "You ever shot anybody with it?" Lol he freaked!
I'm a big believer in using premium defensive ammo, but I never forget that regular 9mm ball ammo, and the old 38 special 158gr lead round nose, have both laid a lot of people down in the 100+ years...... a lot of people.
The idiot instructor teaching our firearms training class at the prison told us the reason they only used FMJ ammo was because hollow points would over penetrate and go Right through someone. I looked over at the Captain in class also and he just shook his head no, as in don't say anything. These places hire complete idiots lots of times.

He actually said that!!!?

Yep....
Like shooting that big buck. That .300 Win Mag will feel like a tap on your shoulder.

As far as recommending ammo, I went in an academy once to buy some ammo for my 1911 45. They were out of what I wanted so the kid got some other brand and set it on the counter and said it was the best defensive 45 ammo there was. I couldn't help it, I looked at him and said, "You ever shot anybody with it?" Lol he freaked!
I'm a big believer in using premium defensive ammo, but I never forget that regular 9mm ball ammo, and the old 38 special 158gr lead round nose, have both laid a lot of people down in the 100+ years...... a lot of people.

Think how many would have taken a dirt nap with that round if the Geneva convention hadnt outlawed hollow points.

Unless he's on pcp.

You can shorten em up a lot but that means you lose the stock which hampers aiming.
Not necessarily, i have both the Tavor and Steyr Aug both bullpup rifles which have the same barrel length of a long gun, but 6 inches less because the action is behind the trigger not in front. Both fire the 5.56mm nato round, which at one time the Oblummer Admin tried to outlaw..Because of his greatest gun salesman of the decade, plenty of that ammo went off the shelves. Thanks Obama

Tavor................................................................Steyr Aug.............................

iwi-tavor-1920x1080-1.jpg AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.
If your principal aim is home defence, I recommend the gun I keep handy for that purpose. A 12 gauge pump shotgun with a shorter barrel. It's not for birds so you don't need a long barrel and it's easier to handle a shorter barrel. The distinctive sound of racking a round in a pump 12 gauge alone is often enough to discourage an intruder. You're also much more likely to hit the target with a shotgun if your skills are not up to snuff and the excitement is high.
I have a marine model so I don't even have to clean and maintain it as often.

Last edited:

The best hand gun for a person who has never shot one is NOT A HAND GUN.
But a pump security shotgun. You won't miss, and no matter where you hit them - they are down or dead. Shorter than hunting style shotguns for ease of handling and tight corners in a home.

pump.png

If your principal aim is home defence, I recommend the gun I keep handy for that purpose. A 12 gauge pump shotgun with a shorter barrel. It's not for birds so you don't need a long barrel and it's easier to handle a shorter barrel. The distinctive sound of racking a round in a pump 12 gauge alone is often enough to discourage an intruder. You're also much more likely to hit the target with a shotgun if your skills are not up to snuff and the excitement is high.

Okay, okay, if a shotgun is what you want...16 shot 12 gauge pump action ...the ultimate in riot control.

DP-12-DOUBLE-BARREL-16-SHOT-PUMP-ACTION-12Ga-SHOTGUN_100588445_92_AE80155DE25F53DF.jpg

Okay, okay, if a shotgun is what you want...16 shot 12 gauge pump action ...the ultimate in riot control.

DP-12-DOUBLE-BARREL-16-SHOT-PUMP-ACTION-12Ga-SHOTGUN_100588445_92_AE80155DE25F53DF.jpg

Haha!.... $1300....

If you've made up your mind, why ask?

If you're not experienced with guns, buy a revolver. Easy to clean and won't jam. Or a pump shotgun. Just racking it will do the job.

I'm not going to run through this thread and read every post, so what I'm saying may have been said.

Go to some ranges and "rent" some guns, or find the friends you have that own guns.

If you have some cash to dispose of, find good trainers that will let you sample theirs.

Getting a handgun that you're comfortable with takes time and training. I'm a 1911 fanatic, but I carry a Walther CCP. I don't have any interest in Glocks, but I tend to recommend Springfield XD's. I would actually recommend a Beretta M9 even though I've railed against them being used in the Army. They are good weapons in the hands of a trained shooter with the proper ammo.

Training with a weapon is of the upmost importance. I suggest going to some IDPA Matches in your area that you can find on google and network with people there. The gun comunity is mostly eager to teach. Not everyone is a great teacher, but you will learn as you go.

That's surely a lot of money to be wasting away stashed in a closet on the off chance it's ever actually used. Also likely not easy to find or even legal to buy in many areas. The Defender can be found in many stores including Bass Pro and Cabelas and it's not a lot of money. I forget but it was maybe around a couple of hundred after it was all said and done and that was brand new in the box.

Or get a dog.

A German Shepherd won’t let anybody in your house.
Bullshit. I've seen plenty of German Shepards who let people in. It's getting out when they attack.

Don't get me wrong, I love that breed of dog, but to pretend that it's better than a 1911 is beyond stupid.

Then again... You're a liberal, so you start off as stupid.

Unless he's on pcp.

Not necessarily, i have both the Tavor and Steyr Aug both bullpup rifles which have the same barrel length of a long gun, but 6 inches less because the action is behind the trigger not in front. Both fire the 5.56mm nato round, which at one time the Oblummer Admin tried to outlaw..Because of his greatest gun salesman of the decade, plenty of that ammo went off the shelves. Thanks Obama

Tavor................................................................Steyr Aug.............................

View attachment 344977 View attachment 344978

I wouldnt call those long guns per say.
And I hate the bullpup design,having the casing fly right by your face sucks.

And the AUG is only 3 inches shorter than my AR with the stock extended.

And on top of that most people wont be assing up the money for either.

That's surely a lot of money to be wasting away stashed in a closet on the off chance it's ever actually used. Also likely not easy to find or even legal to buy in many areas. The Defender can be found in many stores including Bass Pro and Cabelas and it's not a lot of money. I forget but it was maybe around a couple of hundred after it was all said and done and that was brand new in the box.

The Marine defender is around $400 bucks which isnt bad if you need a boat gun.
The DP-12 is pretty expensive at $1400 and I've seen some bad reviews on em.

Forum List

Back