Im going to buy a hand gun soon. Any suggestions?

I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.

Ruger ss45 is good for closed quarters. Perhaps a nice 30-06 (scoped) for long distance.

For home protection?

Either will do. My wife has a Ruger 9mm she uses as well.

A 30.06?

I have a 44 Ruger Super Blackhawk and a 9mm Walther PPK. Love the 44 because it has enough stopping power and I sometimes kid that just the sound is enough to deter 99% of most home invasions. The 9 is accurate and is good for use in the house though it doesn't have the stopping power.

I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.

My advice will be less popular than many others, however, I would recommend one of three platforms to you for home defense.

Option number one: Charter Arms Bulldog or similar chambered in .44 special. A revolver is a much safer bet for the inexperienced and/or casual or new to handguns individual. Essentially, a revolver is point and shoot without all the sometimes complicated buttons and levers inherent to some semi-auto pistols. Add to that the versatility of the .44 special round and you've got a great all around package for hunting, plinking and man-stopping home defense. They only downside? Five rounds capacity (you should only need one-three shots for most home defense situations) versus up to and beyond twenty rounds in some modern auto pistols. That and the semi-rarity of the ammunition for the caliber, in a scavenging scenario. But if you get into handloading that won't be an issue.

Second choice: anything in .45 ACP, preferably anything built on a 1911 platform or a Glock 21 or similar. Sig also makes a great .45. The .45 ACP is a large, forgiving (recoil wise) pistol round that's been proven in combat at point blank range again and again over the course of the last one hundred plus odd years.

Third choice, a controversial one at that, the FN Five-Seven chambered for 5.7x28mm, which is a high velocity (for a non-magnum handgun) round that is very light weight and extremely low recoil. Benefit: high capacity magazines, 20+ rounds. Drawbacks: much smaller wound channel, scarcity of ammunition when scavenging, and endless debate about the caliber's ability to efficiently kill a human being intent on killing you in close quarters.

In 9mm, I own a Steyr GB which is an older but incredibly reliable platform in this caliber. I am also a fan of the Sig P320-M18 compact.

Another possibility, also less popular, is .38 Super, which is a great target shooting caliber and highly underrated for self-defense carry.
The 9mm is a good gun and most out there are pretty reliable and accurate, but if you want defense then get the Critical Defense Max 115g , as it penetrates then basically explodes inside the body going into all the vital organs, thus shutting down the attack, but also doesnt go through the body or wall into your wife or children. I have a few revolvers around for show, but the 9 mm with 15 round or 17 round mags, cant take out more than just 6 people.

I agree with Winter on the .357 revolver. You said one gun; for defense, range, and fun. That’ll do the job across all those spectrums. However, what I suggest additionally, is that you don’t run out and buy whatever gun everyone says is great, because their new favorite movie hero uses it. Go to a good gun range. A good gun range will rent you guns. Try quite a few, and see what fits your hand, suits you best, and you shoot best with. When it comes to guns, try as manufacturers may; one size does not fit all...
357 for some one inexperienced? realy? weildy and to powerfull for most.

My girlfriend got a .357 as her first gun. She does most of her practicing with .38 Special, and then fires at least 12 rounds of the .357 ammo we have for defense.

She is not tiny, but it is not uncontrollable in any way. Even in a 2" S&W she handles it well.
All I here is the part where she uses the 38 special the most. kinda proving my point. I know when I go to do a job I use the tool I am most comfortable with, which is why I prescibe the 38 to start also a revolver leaves no evidence behind is easier to clean, use, and jams way less often. Most guns are used inside of ten foot and the 38 is more than powerfull enough at this distance.. I personally prefer the 45 but I have a great deal of experience.

She uses .38 special because they are cheaper and the lower recoil means it is comfortable at the range. I am willing to bet, if someone is in your house in the middle of the night, you won't feel the recoil. Plus, I doubt you will fire 50 to 75 rounds at an intruder.

I would recommend a .357 revolver. Yeah, I know lots of people will tell you that they are obsolete. Those people are wrong.

For one thing, it is a simple almost foolproof weapon. In a panic driven emergency, you don't have to think about the gun as much.

Another thing, it allows you to use some different types of ammo. We have 3 revolvers in .357 in various places in our house (2 in nightstands and 1 in the kitchen). All 3 have a .38 Special shot shell loaded in the first position on the cylinder. Then the other 5 rounds are .357 MagSafe hollow points. That gives you a quick, 1st shot and 5 major follow ups.

And lastly, the chances of a jam (using factory loaded ammo) is virtually nil. And revolvers tend to be more accurate.

I love my Colt 1911, but it's my Ruger .357 I keep loaded...

I have a 44 Ruger Super Blackhawk and a 9mm Walther PPK. Love the 44 because it has enough stopping power and I sometimes kid that just the sound is enough to deter 99% of most home invasions. The 9 is accurate and is good for use in the house though it doesn't have the stopping power.

I do love my Super Blackhawk. The main reason I don't use it as a defensive gun is the time it takes to reload. But I carry it when I am in the woods or working around my property.

I agree with Winter on the .357 revolver. You said one gun; for defense, range, and fun. That’ll do the job across all those spectrums. However, what I suggest additionally, is that you don’t run out and buy whatever gun everyone says is great, because their new favorite movie hero uses it. Go to a good gun range. A good gun range will rent you guns. Try quite a few, and see what fits your hand, suits you best, and you shoot best with. When it comes to guns, try as manufacturers may; one size does not fit all...
There are a lot of different sized 357s out there, and you have a lot of different ammo choices for that particular revolver. My wife carries 148gr 38 special wadcutters in hers.
And Taurus has thisout;

The 357 magnum revolver is actually a very solid, very versatile platform which will serve the needs of a lot of people.

Another plus to using a .44 inside your house, you can have your lawyer there by the time you can hear well enough to be interviewed by the police. lol

You have to be too good a shot for a hand gun to be effective in a home invasion.

Not to mention the
bureaucratic bullshit you have to put up with to get a handgun.
Hmm, around here you just go in, pay and walk out with it. That 470 shotgun you spoke of, is that related to the Illudium Q36 explosive space modulator?

I do love my Super Blackhawk. The main reason I don't use it as a defensive gun is the time it takes to reload. But I carry it when I am in the woods or working around my property.
I have used mine to defend a kill from a black bear. Was not worried about reload times only stopping power when I bought it. Legal to hunt with in a good number of states.

Yes really. It can also shoot .38 special in a variety of loads which make for a great, lower cost training aid. Which after working your way up through the +P offerings, makes shooting .357 a pussy cat.

Glock 19. Put the Luger in the gun safe, it's collectible but can malfunction.

There's a reason why most law-enforcement officers prefer Glocks: They're virtually idiot-proof, rarely malfunction, and go bang all the time. Just keep your finger away from the trigger, as well as objects such as your shirt tail. They were meant to be carried with one in the chamber, 15 in the magazine, and the safety is on the trigger.

Then get a good holster for it. Not one of those cheap nylon or Kydex holsters they sell at Walmart. Stay away from Serpa holsters. Any holster that has a mechanical retention system such as a button on it to release the pistol, is a disaster waiting to happen. If you end up rolling around on the ground with an attacker and dirt gets into the release button, it won't work. Get a good leather one with a thumb-break retention strap, designed for that pistol: Milt Sparks, Galco, Safariland, or Bianchi. Outside waistband is ok but an inside waistband holster is easier to conceal and more comfortable. And don't forget two spare magazines with a carrier, and good folding knife, a 300-400 lumen LED flashlight that uses rechargeable 18650 or 16340 Li Ion batteries, and a small can of pepper spray like they sell in the sporting department at Walmart.
I did the shirt tail mistake with my XDS. Thank goodness for the grip safety.

I have used mine to defend a kill from a black bear. Was not worried about reload times only stopping power when I bought it. Legal to hunt with in a good number of states.

I have hunted feral hog with it. It is accurate out to 100 yards.

Great target and hunting gun, that is for sure. And rugged as hell.

You have to be too good a shot for a hand gun to be effective in a home invasion.

Not to mention the
bureaucratic bullshit you have to put up with to get a handgun.
Hmm, around here you just go in, pay and walk out with it. That 470 shotgun you spoke of, is that related to the Illudium Q36 explosive space modulator?
He had a typo; he meant 870.

There are a lot of different sized 357s out there, and you have a lot of different ammo choices for that particular revolver. My wife carries 148gr 38 special wadcutters in hers.
And Taurus has thisout;

The 357 magnum revolver is actually a very solid, very versatile platform which will serve the needs of a lot of people.
Stop with this crap of .357 The .45 LC is the weapon to bring a bad guy down if you only want 6 shots before reloading. Bigger than the .44magnum the .45LC not only can be for a pistole but also rifles. One box of 1000 rounds of ammo for both pistol and rifle.

My girlfriend got a .357 as her first gun. She does most of her practicing with .38 Special, and then fires at least 12 rounds of the .357 ammo we have for defense.

She is not tiny, but it is not uncontrollable in any way. Even in a 2" S&W she handles it well.
All I here is the part where she uses the 38 special the most. kinda proving my point. I know when I go to do a job I use the tool I am most comfortable with, which is why I prescibe the 38 to start also a revolver leaves no evidence behind is easier to clean, use, and jams way less often. Most guns are used inside of ten foot and the 38 is more than powerfull enough at this distance.. I personally prefer the 45 but I have a great deal of experience.

She uses .38 special because they are cheaper and the lower recoil means it is comfortable at the range. I am willing to bet, if someone is in your house in the middle of the night, you won't feel the recoil. Plus, I doubt you will fire 50 to 75 rounds at an intruder.
the laws of physics do not stop under durress if any thing they are multiplied. An inexperienced shooter in times of stress is more likely to miss the first shot. The more recoil the more time it takes to reaim and shoot again. I can tell you this some one comes in home at night my 45 and my dog is going is make it real tough for them. As far as shooting alot of bullets, kinda supporting my revolver theory. Further more the less expense of the 38 shell makes practice cheaper and practice build confidence and profincey. When the bullets start flying you want what you are most experienced with. If you are going to carry it on the block even more reason for the revolver. There are situations where you might not want to leave cartriges behind. A revolver solves a multitude of problems.

As far as recommending ammo, I went in an academy once to buy some ammo for my 1911 45. They were out of what I wanted so the kid got some other brand and set it on the counter and said it was the best defensive 45 ammo there was. I couldn't help it, I looked at him and said, "You ever shot anybody with it?" Lol he freaked!

Forum List

Back