If you're alone when a heart attack comes...

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
This comes from Dr. Patrick Teefy, Cardiology Head at the Nuclear Medicine Institute University Hospital, London Ont.

I hope everyone can send this on as it is really important for everyone to know!

1. Let's say it's 7:25 pm and you're going home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the job.

2. You're really tired, upset and frustrated.

3. Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five km from the hospital nearest your home.

4. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far.

5. You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.

6. HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE? Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.

7. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

8 . Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it to regain a normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get help or to a hospital.

9. Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!

10. A cardiologist says: "If everyone who gets this information & kindly sends it to 10 people, you can bet that we'll save at least one life.

This comes from Dr. Patrick Teefy, Cardiology Head at the Nuclear Medicine Institute University Hospital, London Ont.

I hope everyone can send this on as it is really important for everyone to know!

1. Let's say it's 7:25 pm and you're going home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the job.

3. Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five km from the hospital nearest your home.

5. You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.

6. HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE? Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.

7. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

8 . Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it to regain a normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get help or to a hospital.

10. A cardiologist says: "If everyone who gets this information & kindly sends it to 10 people, you can bet that we'll save at least one life.
I have also heard, fast chew an aspirin. Blood thinner.

You saved my life, asaratis. Thanks.

While I was reading your post, by the time I got to #9, I had a heart attack
and thanks to you, was able to save myself.
mail (3).gif

Maybe a heart attack is a sign from the creator. . . that your time is up? :dunno:

Careful Asaratis, This appears to not be new, going back 20 years or so and not generally recommended without supervision or doctor order. It could just as easily hurt more than help.
1616186690443.png

I do not know, as I am not a medical professional, but it bears closer look and consultation before self treating for heart attack based on internet doctor from a foreign country. This wasn't in the last Red Cross course I took.

Stay calm call 9-11 and open your front door if possible....never try and drive yourself to the hospital...and don't let a friend drive you either...go in an ambulance even if you are unsure that your symptoms is your heart...no one will be angry with you if its just indigestion....

That is usually recommended for a stroke.

If you are choking you should try to use a hard back chair to give your self the puke of life. Even if you pass out, you will fall onto the chair and possibly dislodge the peanut buttter sammich stuck in your windpipe.

Careful Asaratis, This appears to not be new, going back 20 years or so and not generally recommended without supervision or doctor order. It could just as easily hurt more than help.
View attachment 469804
I do not know, as I am not a medical professional, but it bears closer look and consultation before self treating for heart attack based on internet doctor from a foreign country. This wasn't in the last Red Cross course I took.
I think your article has a bit of deception in it.

One action in performing CPR is short periods of repeated rhythmic chest compressions with short periods of forced oxygenation in between. Those performing the CPR have no idea what cycle your beating heart is in when they compress your chest.

If you are suffering ventricular fibrillation, the compressions (from coughing or EMT) may help at any time, just as they do when a defibrillator is triggered.

If you're suffering atrial fibrillation, you won't be able to cough or breath enough to help...because your heart stops beating.

I contend that the deliberate coughing and deep breathing cannot hurt your chances of living through the heart attack long enough for EMT to take over and save or fail to save your life.

Nonetheless, sometime after they save your life, you're gonna die.

We're all gonna die.

Last edited:

View attachment 469804

One action in performing CPR is short periods of repeated rhythmic chest compressions with short periods of forced oxygenation in between. Those performing the CPR have no idea what cycle your beating heart is in when they compress your chest.

If you are suffering ventricular fibrillation, the compressions (from coughing or EMT) may help at any time, just as they do when a defibrillator is triggered.

If you're suffering atrial fibrillation, you won't be able to cough or breath enough to help...because your heart stops beating.

I contend that the deliberate coughing and deep breathing cannot hurt your changes of living through the heart attack long enough for EMT to take over and save or fail to save your life.

We're all gonna die.
Oh, by all means, knock yourself out. I do caution against giving medical procedural advice to others based on internet. I simply did a quick search and found that article giving caution. Are you Dr. Teefy Himself or do you just go to Canada to find a competent Cardiologist? In this country I could not find it as a recommended procedure. Often there are reasons, but feel free, physician heal thy self.

Are you Dr. Teefy Himself...?
No.

...do you just go to Canada to find a competent Cardiologist?...
No.

I did see a related article wherein it was stated:
But the American Heart Association does not endorse cough CPR. First of all, it can’t be used to treat an unresponsive person because they cannot cough.

The second sentence is patently obvious...and the article did not say that the the AHA discourages it. The article also does not deny that compressions caused by coughing may have the same effect as compressions delivered by someone else.

If and when the occasion arises, and if I remember, I'll take my chances after calling 911.

It's also recommended for a heart attack.
Aspirin for heart attack first aid
'''
By all three measurements, chewed aspirin worked fastest. It needed only five minutes to reduce TxB2 concentrations by 50%; the Alka-Seltzer took almost 8 minutes, and the swallowed tablet took 12 minutes. Similarly, it took 14 minutes for the chewed tablet to produce maximal platelet inhibition; it took Alka-Seltzer 16 minutes and the swallowed tablet 26 minutes.

View attachment 469804
why would it be? they do not promote home remedies.

View attachment 469804

I contend that the deliberate coughing and deep breathing cannot hurt your changes of living through the heart attack long enough for EMT to take over and save or fail to save your life.

We're all gonna die.
Oh, by all means, knock yourself out. I do caution against giving medical procedural advice to others based on internet. I simply did a quick search and found that article giving caution. Are you Dr. Teefy Himself or do you just go to Canada to find a competent Cardiologist? In this country I could not find it as a recommended procedure. Often there are reasons, but feel free, physician heal thy self.
i guess the key words would be---you are alone---so you choose to try or dont. either choice could cost you

It's also recommended for a heart attack.
Aspirin for heart attack first aid
'''
By all three measurements, chewed aspirin worked fastest. It needed only five minutes to reduce TxB2 concentrations by 50%; the Alka-Seltzer took almost 8 minutes, and the swallowed tablet took 12 minutes. Similarly, it took 14 minutes for the chewed tablet to produce maximal platelet inhibition; it took Alka-Seltzer 16 minutes and the swallowed tablet 26 minutes.
Don't you people think before you type--you are talking about a heart attack--the OP stated you're driving down the road near a hospital and you are going to lose consciousness in seconds if you do not start compressions--SO YOU COUGH--TO COMPRESS. not pull over and search for an aspirin to chew so that it can take 5 minutes to work. A stroke on the other hand does not stop your heart and a blood thinner is needed. MORONS. Which one of you mental midgets have ever had a heart condition?

Are you Dr. Teefy Himself...?
No.

...do you just go to Canada to find a competent Cardiologist?...
No.

I did see a related article wherein it was stated:
But the American Heart Association does not endorse cough CPR. First of all, it can’t be used to treat an unresponsive person because they cannot cough.

The second sentence is patently obvious...and the article did not say that the the AHA discourages it. The article also does not deny that compressions caused by coughing may have the same effect as compressions delivered by someone else.

If and when the occasion arises, and if I remember, I'll take my chances after calling 911.
OK, in a pinch, if I let it go that far before contacting and am almost undoubtedly scewed, I'll bear it in mind, stored away with emergency first aide knowledge for treating a sucking chest wound and performing an emergency tracheotomy, two other procedures not recommended for first aide by Red Cross, you do not want to see me perform on anybody else or myself.

View attachment 469804
why would it be? they do not promote home remedies.
Big difference between home remedies and and emergency first aide. Some techniques more valuable to know than others and some probably not taught due to effectiveness or likelihood of being able to perform in those techniques in those last 10 seconds before passing out if your heart stops.

Forum List

Back