If you want to improve education fire the under performing teachers

Here's how it works:
Student wants to be teacher, graduates HS and moves on to college. Is admitted to college on affirmative action (disregard academic qualifications).
Student proceeds through college and graduates on their ethnic (not academic) qualifications. Acquires Affirmative Action posting. Teacher is pretty much illiterate but still "qualified" as teacher. Students acquire teacher's qualifications/talents/etc. Students fail to meet standards but are passed on to subsequent grades because of affirmative action. They are accepted to universities because they are "disadvantaged" minorities. And so it goes....

I love how you conveniently ignore all of the testing teachers must pass for certification.

Here's how it works:
Student wants to be teacher, graduates HS and moves on to college. Is admitted to college on affirmative action (disregard academic qualifications).
Student proceeds through college and graduates on their ethnic (not academic) qualifications. Acquires Affirmative Action posting. Teacher is pretty much illiterate but still "qualified" as teacher. Students acquire teacher's qualifications/talents/etc. Students fail to meet standards but are passed on to subsequent grades because of affirmative action. They are accepted to universities because they are "disadvantaged" minorities. And so it goes....
And why or how did they pass student teach, fgs? I had a student teacher who was a track star and the University wanted to give her a third try on student teaching. She couldn't write or spell, but was very sweet. But that was not enough. She failed. Big time.
If the basic premise is, a teacher should be able to teach at least reading-writing-'rithmetic, anyone who cannot pass those basic tests should not be a teacher. There are other disciplines that require additional study: history, science, etc. A track star isn't a teacher, she is a gym coach. (Those who cannot do, teach. Those who cannot teach, teach gym.)

There is your problem right there. If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

WHERE is this teacher testing requirement? What states? Please give details.

My Bullshit Meter is nearing the red zone.

Teachers' unions abhor any sort of testing, and in the rare cases when it is employed it only applies to newbies, and several re-takes are possible before you are disqualified. In short, where it exists, it is a sad practical joke on the students, parents, and taxpayers.

Dgs49, quit your simpering and become a teacher. Oh that's right, you can't live on that pittance. Don't be envious of others.

Why do you think it is so hard to remove bad teachers?

I once encountered a bad teacher at my kids Junior High, she was the worst. The class he took was a typing class. As it turns out, I could have taught the class better than she could have.

We had a fundamental disagreement. By the end of the course, the kids were still looking at the key board, and pecking with their fingers. She told me there was not one "right way" to type. I was like, WTF?!! There sure as hell is a correct way to type. It is why the letters are arranged in a certain way on the key board. It is why, on every key board, the "j" and the "f" have raised ridges or bumps on them.

She wouldn't hear of it though. She told me it is up to the kids to determine the style of typing that they would choose.

Now my son is in High School, I encountered this useless educator again at a parent/teacher conference, she is still in the system, still teaching. This time she was teaching a class called; "Post secondary Prep." It is the most useless waste of time. Hers, and my sons. He reads a book and journals about what he read. Then she reads what he read. I asked her, do you correct spelling, grammar or look for meaningful connections about the kid's reading? She answered, no, she just makes sure they read something and wrote about what they read, that's all. She doesn't comment or mark the papers at all.

facepalm.jpg

Useless.

Wow! yes schools can be a great jobs program. sad

WHERE is this teacher testing requirement? What states? Please give details.

My Bullshit Meter is nearing the red zone.

Teachers' unions abhor any sort of testing, and in the rare cases when it is employed it only applies to newbies, and several re-takes are possible before you are disqualified. In short, where it exists, it is a sad practical joke on the students, parents, and taxpayers.

I teach in Florida and:

-I had to take numerous tests in order to earn my certification.
-I get evaluated every year from my district, principals, and APs via classroom observations.
-They actually make the test fairly difficult, since you have to pay to take it each time (IIRC I paid ~$150 for each test).
-I get evaluated on how much my students progress each year compared to their previous year on various tests (FSA, SAT, etc).
-I get evaluated based on how well they perform on the mid-term and final exams.
-I have to take ESOL training classes every single school year (it amounts to about 40 hours)--which is unpaid (I hear I'll have to pay for it soon).

You may get your information from the media and buy into the misconceptions, but before you step into the ring you should learn the rules/ropes before hand.

I for one have NEVER complained about how much I make (starting in my district is $37.5K/year)...but I do take issue with ignorant comments from people who have absolutely no basis in chiming in.

Tenured teacher can be fired and are. At one time as a new board of education took over the teaching staff would be replaced for political reasons. It was a form of: to the victor belongs the spoils. It happened in most government jobs. Then tenure was passed for teachers and civil service for other government workers.

Sometimes the school program doesn't fit the teaching staff. A typing class is not covered and Mrs. Otis a science teacher has no class that period. Mrs. Otis is assigned to cover the typing class. Happens with frequency.

Ok...so have 15 year old 6th graders?
Or we could just show them the door and tell them that school may not be for you and wish them luck on their journey. I guarantee that will motivate his fellow students.

Sun Tzu and the Lesson of the Concubines

That kid then breaks into your home to support his drug habit because no one will employ a high school dropout.
If he is lucky he takes a 45 to the chest. If he is unlucky, its a 12 gauge to the chest. Problem solved either way, Admiral. Don't you believe in natural selection? Some people need to Darwinize themselves out of existence.

Last edited:
If you want to improve public education fire the under performing teachers. The remaining ones will get the hint. Then... flunk out the under performing students. The remaining ones will get the hint too. Teaching and schooling are not for everyone.
Republicans fight any standards for teachers and then complain that teachers are bad. So what is a "good" teacher to a Republican?

it's all relative. If the teacher is no good at teaching gender studies should they be fired? If they get found out to be a closet trump supporter do they get fired?
Gender studies? Too funny. You sir, have struck the nail firmly on its head. Let me add to the list... administrators who allow gender study to be taught to the list of individuals who need to be fired.
That's my point. It's not performance but other issues that are the problem right now.

I'm a woman btw and one that has struggled greatly against the cancer that infects the West for far longer than you even know about it, so show some respect, sir.
Ok, I can agree with that. What are those other problems?

If you want to improve public education fire the under performing teachers. The remaining ones will get the hint. Then... flunk out the under performing students. The remaining ones will get the hint too. Teaching and schooling are not for everyone.
Republicans fight any standards for teachers and then complain that teachers are bad. So what is a "good" teacher to a Republican?
The same standard that is used for any producer.... they produce results.

The same standard that is used for any producer.... they produce results.
That's no answer. Give us some examples.

Forum List

Back