If you want to improve education fire the under performing teachers

it's all relative. If the teacher is no good at teaching gender studies should they be fired? If they get found out to be a closet trump supporter do they get fired?
They should be reviewed on a) control of the classroom, b) knowledge of subject matter, c) preparation, d) teaching style and e) how well they follow the curriculum.
I am personally against teaching gender studies, but they would have to follow district curriculum and it doesn't matter if they show poor judgment in voting for Hillary.
I think there is a greater problem in teaching than the performance right now.

it's all relative. If the teacher is no good at teaching gender studies should they be fired? If they get found out to be a closet trump supporter do they get fired?
They should be reviewed on a) control of the classroom, b) knowledge of subject matter, c) preparation, d) teaching style and e) how well they follow the curriculum.
I am personally against teaching gender studies, but they would have to follow district curriculum and it doesn't matter if they show poor judgment in voting for Hillary.
What do you think it is?

Gender studies? Too funny. You sir, have struck the nail firmly on its head. Let me add to the list... administrators who allow gender study to be taught to the list of individuals who need to be fired.
That's my point. It's not performance but other issues that are the problem right now.

I'm a woman btw and one that has struggled greatly against the cancer that infects the West for far longer than you even know about it, so show some respect, sir.

What do you think it is?
lesbianism.

What do you think it is?
lesbianism.
Oh, my! That was a surprise. Can you go into more detail?

They should be reviewed on a) control of the classroom, b) knowledge of subject matter, c) preparation, d) teaching style and e) how well they follow the curriculum......

That's what happens now.

If america wants the best teachers they will have to step up and pay them a lot more than what they make now. Why anyone goes into the profession is beyond me. The way american kids act now in my eyes they don't deserve a good teacher.

If america wants the best teachers they will have to step up and pay them a lot more than what they make now. Why anyone goes into the profession is beyond me. The way american kids act now in my eyes they don't deserve a good teacher.

Every kid deserves a chance.

Here's how it works:
Student wants to be teacher, graduates HS and moves on to college. Is admitted to college on affirmative action (disregard academic qualifications).
Student proceeds through college and graduates on their ethnic (not academic) qualifications. Acquires Affirmative Action posting. Teacher is pretty much illiterate but still "qualified" as teacher. Students acquire teacher's qualifications/talents/etc. Students fail to meet standards but are passed on to subsequent grades because of affirmative action. They are accepted to universities because they are "disadvantaged" minorities. And so it goes....
And why or how did they pass student teach, fgs? I had a student teacher who was a track star and the University wanted to give her a third try on student teaching. She couldn't write or spell, but was very sweet. But that was not enough. She failed. Big time.
If the basic premise is, a teacher should be able to teach at least reading-writing-'rithmetic, anyone who cannot pass those basic tests should not be a teacher. There are other disciplines that require additional study: history, science, etc. A track star isn't a teacher, she is a gym coach. (Those who cannot do, teach. Those who cannot teach, teach gym.)

Here's how it works:
Student wants to be teacher, graduates HS and moves on to college. Is admitted to college on affirmative action (disregard academic qualifications).
Student proceeds through college and graduates on their ethnic (not academic) qualifications. Acquires Affirmative Action posting. Teacher is pretty much illiterate but still "qualified" as teacher. Students acquire teacher's qualifications/talents/etc. Students fail to meet standards but are passed on to subsequent grades because of affirmative action. They are accepted to universities because they are "disadvantaged" minorities. And so it goes....
We really have not done them any favors by lowering the standards. I believe had they been held accountable to higher standards they would not only have reached them, but would be more prosperous for it.
Therein lies a basic problem in today's so-called educational system. Those teaching are neither proficient in their chosen fields of focus nor are they proficient at the basic principles of teaching/mentoring young minds. They have basically fulfilled some specious requirement that they meet a gender/racial/ethnic quota, regardless of their academic achievement. One of the reasons inner-city schools are such a disaster is that many of the "teachers" are the product of affirmative action quotas that disregard actual ability.

Here's how it works:
We really have not done them any favors by lowering the standards. I believe had they been held accountable to higher standards they would not only have reached them, but would be more prosperous for it.
Therein lies a basic problem in today's so-called educational system. Those teaching are neither proficient in their chosen fields of focus nor are they proficient at the basic principles of teaching/mentoring young minds. They have basically fulfilled some specious requirement that they meet a gender/racial/ethnic quota, regardless of their academic achievement. One of the reasons inner-city schools are such a disaster is that many of the "teachers" are the product of affirmative action quotas that disregard actual ability.

You're talking out of your ass.

Here's how it works:

Yup! It's called farts...how you likin' the smell?
I teach at university level...I have first-hand experience regarding the product of public school teachers. You?

Here's how it works:

I teach at university level...I have first-hand experience regarding the product of public school teachers. You?

Open wide, you're gonna need both feet.

Here's how it works: Student wants to be teacher, graduates HS and moves on to college. Is admitted to college on affirmative action (disregard academic qualifications). Student proceeds through college and graduates on their ethnic (not academic) qualifications. Acquires Affirmative Action posting. Teacher is pretty much illiterate but still "qualified" as teacher. Students acquire teacher's qualifications/talents/etc. Students fail to meet standards but are passed on to subsequent grades because of affirmative action. They are accepted to universities because they are "disadvantaged" minorities. And so it goes....

Yup! It's called farts...how you likin' the smell? I teach at university level...I have first-hand experience regarding the product of public school teachers. You?

I don't believe you have enough sand in your pants. If you did, you would have already made your play instead of that lame ass response.

Here's how it works:

I teach in a (very) urban public school district, AND I teach at the college level. I know "first-hand" how full of shit you are.

It all gets back to teachers' unions.

Teachers CAN be evaluated, quantitatively. The students' proficiency could be tested at the beginning of each school year and again at the end. Progress can be measured. Factors can be developed to allow for differences in ability, demographics, culture, you-name-it. At the end of the process you have a number of teachers all teaching the same material to classes that are comparable, and the best and worst teachers will manifest themselves very clearly. The best teachers can be observed to ascertain what it is that makes their performance better than the others. Sometimes lower-performing teachers can be taught how to be better, but not always. A person close to me is a very enthusiastic and competent (knowledgeable in her subject) teacher, but her results are dreadful. Not everyone can teach.

But unfortunately, (1) the people in the best position to develop the evaluation system are teachers, and (2) the ONLY representatives of the teachers that Management is permitted to address are the UNIONS. And the Unions want no part of quantitative evaluation because the inevitable result of QE is the removal of the under-performing teachers, and as we all know, Unions - under any and all circumstances - work for the benefit of the worst performers.

So they constantly state that performance evaluation is impossible, and where under-performance is detected, the ONLY solution is to re-train (and never jettison) the under-performing teachers. Thus, an American public school teacher CANNOT BE TERMINATED FOR NON-PERFORMANCE. [Which is why parents and taxpayers are so resentful of teachers' compensation, benefits and absurdly-early retirement].

If a foreign power wanted to sabotage the American Public School System, to ensure that mediocrity reigns eternal, there is NOTHING they could do that would have better effect than to "organize" (unionize) every school district in the country. Doing that, they ensure that (a) there is NO INCENTIVE WHATSOEVER for teachers to strive to be the best that they can be, and (b) there is NO PENALTY WHATSOEVER for mediocre performance, year after year until early and generous retirement.

God bless the millions of kids who are able to get a good education despite the endemic problems that our schools present. The only upside is that teachers LOVE teaching the best students, and most school districts have programs in place that identify good students and allow them to be taught in Honors (or whatever) programs, segregated from the GenPop.

And "diversity" is the second worst thing that ever infected public education. A horrific waste of resources, it is a manifestation of a devotion to a "cause" that has NEVER BEEN DEMONSTRATED TO HAVE ANY POSITIVE ACADEMIC EFFECT. In fact, it harms academics by placing unqualified students in advanced programs, thus hindering the progress of everyone else.

If you want to improve public education fire the under performing teachers. The remaining ones will get the hint. Then... flunk out the under performing students. The remaining ones will get the hint too. Teaching and schooling are not for everyone.
How do you determine the underperforming teachers?
Can their students read, write, and do numbers? Do they understand the most basic precepts of traditional science, history, and social precepts?

Like most of my students, you did not answer the question.

If you want to improve public education fire the under performing teachers. The remaining ones will get the hint. Then... flunk out the under performing students. The remaining ones will get the hint too. Teaching and schooling are not for everyone.
How do you determine the underperforming teachers?
I start with the ones who use avatars which are clown faces of people they don't like. I figure if these people show such little respect for their advasaries, they are probably the ones who are trash talking their friends behind their back. Those people have already demonstrated that they have no or too low of a standard of behavior.

What are "advarsaries"?

It all gets back to teachers' unions.

Teachers CAN be evaluated, quantitatively. The students' proficiency could be tested at the beginning of each school year and again at the end. Progress can be measured. Factors can be developed to allow for differences in ability, demographics, culture, you-name-it. At the end of the process you have a number of teachers all teaching the same material to classes that are comparable, and the best and worst teachers will manifest themselves very clearly. The best teachers can be observed to ascertain what it is that makes their performance better than the others. Sometimes lower-performing teachers can be taught how to be better, but not always. A person close to me is a very enthusiastic and competent (knowledgeable in her subject) teacher, but her results are dreadful. Not everyone can teach.

But unfortunately, (1) the people in the best position to develop the evaluation system are teachers, and (2) the ONLY representatives of the teachers that Management is permitted to address are the UNIONS. And the Unions want no part of quantitative evaluation because the inevitable result of QE is the removal of the under-performing teachers, and as we all know, Unions - under any and all circumstances - work for the benefit of the worst performers.

So they constantly state that performance evaluation is impossible, and where under-performance is detected, the ONLY solution is to re-train (and never jettison) the under-performing teachers. Thus, an American public school teacher CANNOT BE TERMINATED FOR NON-PERFORMANCE. [Which is why parents and taxpayers are so resentful of teachers' compensation, benefits and absurdly-early retirement].

If a foreign power wanted to sabotage the American Public School System, to ensure that mediocrity reigns eternal, there is NOTHING they could do that would have better effect than to "organize" (unionize) every school district in the country. Doing that, they ensure that (a) there is NO INCENTIVE WHATSOEVER for teachers to strive to be the best that they can be, and (b) there is NO PENALTY WHATSOEVER for mediocre performance, year after year until early and generous retirement.

God bless the millions of kids who are able to get a good education despite the endemic problems that our schools present. The only upside is that teachers LOVE teaching the best students, and most school districts have programs in place that identify good students and allow them to be taught in Honors (or whatever) programs, segregated from the GenPop.

And "diversity" is the second worst thing that ever infected public education. A horrific waste of resources, it is a manifestation of a devotion to a "cause" that has NEVER BEEN DEMONSTRATED TO HAVE ANY POSITIVE ACADEMIC EFFECT. In fact, it harms academics by placing unqualified students in advanced programs, thus hindering the progress of everyone else.

You have no clue as to what you are talking about.

The best way to do that is through vouchers.

People want the state to pay for their child's private school education. That is all vouchers are. They do not work except to bankrupt school systems.

Forum List

Back