If there were no such thing as opinion talk shows....

ThisIsMe

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2017
...would we be as divided as we are? My guess is no, we wouldnt. When trump said the media was the enemy of the people, I'm thinking he wasnt wrong.

Talk radio, prime time talk shows on tv...all of it, are the most polarizing shows on tv and radio. Each of them designed to indoctrinate their listeners and to mold their thoughts into a designed form, to create division.

Think about it, if stories were simply just told to you without any commentary or spin, we, there wouldnt be as much hate. It may not be flashy and dramatic, but we would all be forced to come to our own conclusions.

If people were honest, they'd have to admit that their views are heavily influenced by what they hear from day to day by their favorite talk shows. Most people dont know what is actually going on in the world, just what their echo chamber box tells them.

I dont think, when the constitution was talking about freedom of the press, that it was meant for opinion talk shows, since those are not actually "news" and many of then are not journalists. I think it was meant for actual news papers and the like.

Oh how awesome it would be if EVERYONE unplugged for a few months...heck, even a few weeks. I think we would see a major shift in attitudes and how we treat each other...

...would we be as divided as we are? My guess is no, we wouldnt. When trump said the media was the enemy of the people, I'm thinking he wasnt wrong.

Talk radio, prime time talk shows on tv...all of it, are the most polarizing shows on tv and radio. Each of them designed to indoctrinate their listeners and to mold their thoughts into a designed form, to create division.

Think about it, if stories were simply just told to you without any commentary or spin, we, there wouldnt be as much hate. It may not be flashy and dramatic, but we would all be forced to come to our own conclusions.

If people were honest, they'd have to admit that their views are heavily influenced by what they hear from day to day by their favorite talk shows. Most people dont know what is actually going on in the world, just what their echo chamber box tells them.

I dont think, when the constitution was talking about freedom of the press, that it was meant for opinion talk shows, since those are not actually "news" and many of then are not journalists. I think it was meant for actual news papers and the like.

Oh how awesome it would be if EVERYONE unplugged for a few months...heck, even a few weeks. I think we would see a major shift in attitudes and how we treat each other...
If you think this is bad now, check out the 19th century press coverage. Lincoln, Jackson, and others got it worse then than today.

...would we be as divided as we are?
Absolutely not.

There are many elements to our division, but none more important. They've now taught multiple generations of Americans how to think in purely binary patterns, how to aggressively and proudly avoid critical thinking, and how to refuse to accurately understand the perspectives of those who disagree.

They've been a pox on this country.

Nope.

I haven’t watched one of those panel shows or nighttime cable news shows in years.

Trump just sucks.

Nope.

I haven’t watched one of those panel shows or nighttime cable news shows in years.

Trump just sucks.
Which means warts and all Trump is doing fine.

They don't help but I would say social media has done more to widen the divide than the opinion talk shows.
You have a point, I didn't even think about them. Most social media today are trying to pass as "news", most people see more information from social media than they do anywhere else and that social media is now being heavily censored.

Nope.

Trump just sucks.
Ok, so, how do you know trump sucks? If you are getting your information from the tv or radio, its heavily edited and agenda driven. How do you know what you know about trump is even accurate? Even if it is accurate, how do you know it's not been twisted or context edited to favor a particular narrative?

My point being, people dont know what they think they know, because there are no unbiased news sources left in the world.

Fuck off, you fucking "Only the Party can decide what you think" Fascist

You proposed FASCISM

Hannity told me to say that

No, seriously, if you people stating their opinions cause problems, you need to mind your own fucking business

Fuck off, you fucking "Only the Party can decide what you think" Fascist

You proposed FASCISM

Hannity told me to say that
Huh? That's not what I was saying at all....I was saying that if news were just news, and no commentary added, we would be less divided. Most of what we think, politically, is drilled into our heads by whatever talking head we listen to most.

Politics have always been dirty. To oppose talk radio - or TV - is downright Luddite. Want to go back to 1775?

First you'll need to grown your own food, weave your own cloth and suck up to a distant king.

But wait! You already do that last put....King Soros the First!
...no...I think you have me confused. I generally lean to the right...well, libertarian right...

My post was mean to be politically neutral. Both sides are guilty of bias and having an agenda.

Opinions are fine ewhen you are aware that they are opinions. The problem is when so-called news programs are really (mostly left wing) opinion shows.
This is true, Hannity for example specifically points out he is not a journalist, while jabbering retards like that Madcow thing insist that they are. Then you have the "journalists" Like Brian Willaims who are documented liars still allowed to "report the news".

The fact is, and I've said it before, EVERYTHING published or otherwise broadcast as media is intended to manipulate opinion.

Forum List

Back